savory biscotti
Posted: 03 December 2007 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-11-22

anyone have a basic formula for a “not sweet” biscotti?  I can’t imagine that a sweet one, minus the sugar, will work.. I don’t need anything elaborate, just the basics… I’ll be adding my own flavors/spices/etc.

Signature 

If chocolate were a friend it’d be one needing compliance:
but bread on the other hand is a cahtartic, soulful blend of commraderie, chemistry , and respect.

Posted: 03 December 2007 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-18

Clement, there are many recipes on the internet for biscotti. You will find that an average sugar content is approx. 65% in weight of the weight of the flour. You can consider replacing the sugar amount up to 33% (1/3rd) of the sugar content in the recipe with “HONEY”. It will be much more moist without a overly sweet taste.  If you do decide this modification & you need a little help with the culinary math, post back for help. Good luck in your baking.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 03 December 2007 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

No ‘formula’ here, but I’d love it if someone had one.

The savory biscotti recipes I’ve got in my collection seem to be pretty basic: fat, egg, flour, leavening,  flavor component, etc.. Depending on the flavor profile, they may or may not have any sugar at all. (Also, some have very little fat, except for flavor components like cheese.)

Posted: 03 December 2007 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-22

that’s just it..  I have my basic biscotti formula… but my chef has asked for savory, with not much sweetener..we want like a mustard-caraway,  black pepper - ??, stuff like that… I ‘m more wondering, if just eliminating the majority of the sugar is the answer, as much as I think that it is not.

Signature 

but bread on the other hand is a cahtartic, soulful blend of commraderie, chemistry , and respect.

Posted: 03 December 2007 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

Well, here’s a ‘Parmesan Black Pepper’ biscotti recipe from Gourmet.

I’ve managed to collect a lot of savory-type recipes, most seem destined for use in crouton-type applications, I’ve never made any.

Posted: 03 December 2007 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-22

thanks Anna.. that’s a great basic formula… most of the others that I’ve found, have too few eggs, and / or too much oil… this seems appropriate…

I’ll let you know how they go…

Signature