1 of 3
Carrot Cake Recipe?
Posted: 16 November 2008 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-11-28

Would there be anyone out there willing to share a good carrot cake recipe?  I’m looking for one that can be baked in layers and it would be a huge bonus if it was easy to scale up/down for different sized pans (6in-10in). Oh, and I *hate* raisins in a carrot cake, so I’d prefer one that doesn’t have raisins or than they can be left out of.  (No flames from my raisin-loving forum friends—it’s just a personal preference.)

I’m getting ready to go into holiday baking mode and I’d like something different than my usual yellow or chocolate cakes.

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

My Facebook Profile or follow @Cookin_n_Cussin on Twitter

Posted: 16 November 2008 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

My most favorite carrot cake recipe is the one from the Silver Palate cookbook (the original version) which I have modified ever so slightly by using pecans and not walnuts.
3 cups flour (all purpose is fine, don’t use cake flour)
3 cups sugar
1 tbl baking soda
1 tbl cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Put the above into a mixer bowl with the paddle and mix for a min or so until it is well combined. Then add
12 oz vegetable oil
4 eggs

Mix til combined and remember to scrape the bottom of the mixer bowl.

Add 11 oz carrot puree (I like it best with a fine puree - baby food fine - but it’s ok if it is a very little bit chunky)
6.25 oz well drained crushed pineapple
6 oz pecans
7 oz shredded coconut

The batter will become more fluid.  Bake at 350 til a toothpick comes out clean.  This scales up and down easily and well (I routinely make 4x this amount in a 20 qt Hobart, 5x would be the max for that size mixer.)  Just don’t overfill the pans.  It is also easier to line the pans with parchment for easy release, otherwise a little can stick to the bottom if you don’t spray it well. (spray the parchment)

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 16 November 2008 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-28

Can I omit the coconut?  At the risk of making myself sound like a terribly picky eater, I’m not all that fond of coconut, either.

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

Posted: 16 November 2008 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I have this recipe bookmarked, but I haven’t tried it yet:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sams-Famous-Carrot-Cake/Detail.aspx

Not sure where I came across this—may have been on this blog!

Posted: 16 November 2008 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-28

I found a recipe for Triple-Layer Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting at Epicurious.  Rave reviews on the site (583 comments!!), with many people offering variations (seems to be some consensus to replace some of the vegetable oil called for with apple sauce). 

This one may be on the short list:
1) It’s for round layers and not a sheet pan
2) No coconut
3) Omittable raisins

It calls for (3) 9in x 1-1/2in pans, but I’d probably do it in (2) 9in x 2in pans.

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

Posted: 17 November 2008 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

Hi Dan -

You can leave out the coconut or the nuts;  you definitely need the pineapple.  Usually if I know it’s on the baking schedule, I dump a can or so of the pineapple in a strainer and let it sit overnight (cover the top with plastic wrap, if you are using a wire strainer, you might want to put several layers of cheesecloth or a coffee filter in first so you don’t have any reactions from the metal and the acidity of the pineapple sitting for so long….).

At the suggestion of the catering staff that I share space with, I made this for the local Taste of the Town event we had last month.  It won best dessert smile!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 17 November 2008 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

you know that I will say to try Cake Bible’s Carrot Ring.  It has no nuts nor raisins nor coconut, neither sugar.  It uses honey, whole wheat flour, and butter!  You eat carrot cake and not a carrot fruit cake.  The issue is that this cake needs to be served at room temperature, because as all other butter cakes, it would be to hard if eaten cold.  This picture of the slice closeup with the white chocolate cream cheese frosting makes all my customers order carrot cake, as my cousin Elaine did and turned her wedding from a 3 to a 7 cakes wedding!

new recipe using oil, on Roses new book, if I am not mistaken, this cake will be fine eaten cold.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2007/08/hectors_hawaii_cake.html#comment-61333

Image Attachments
carrot cake golden wheat.jpgFlaky%20Pie%20Crust%20-%20Carrot%20Ring%20Heart%20-%20White%20Chocolate%20Cream%20Cheese%20Buttercream%20-%204.jpg
 Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 17 November 2008 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Dan, the Epicurious recipe you posted is the one Bill makes and recommends. I think he experimented using clarified butter instead of the oil and he said the cake with the oil was better.

Matthew, you are right, someone posted that recipe on the forum. I remember seeing it.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 17 November 2008 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-28
hectorwong - 17 November 2008 07:18 PM

you know that I will say to try Cake Bible’s Carrot Ring.  It has no nuts nor raisins nor coconut, neither sugar.

And I dutifully consulted The Cake Bible before posting… I was looking for more of a “traditional” carrot cake.  Have you made this recipe in layer cake rounds?  What’s the “Rose Factor” for the ring mold?  I’d like to be able to scale it for a 2 layer cake in different sizes.

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

Posted: 17 November 2008 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-28

I found a very useful chart at JoyOfBaking.com that lists the volume capacity of various baking pans.  If I’m interpreting the chart correctly, I could use an 8x2in or 9x1-1/2in pan, both of which have 6-cup capacities, in place of the 6-cup ring mold that the carrot ring calls for.

This would give the 6-cup ring mold a Rose Factor of 3.5.

Anyone want to check my figures?

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

Posted: 18 November 2008 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-12-20

Jeanne,
Exactly how do I prepare the carrot puree?  I hate to assume that the puree is made from cooked carrots if it isn’t.  Thanks.

Posted: 18 November 2008 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Yes…I use the eupicurious recipe that Dan put up the link to. This is the yummiest one I or any one in my family has tasted.  One time I switched the oil out for an equal volume of melted clarified butter (as mentioned in one of the previous postings.  It was much more expensive (obviously) and much more work…clarifying the butter…but the flavor…not any better.  The oil worked just as well if not better.  Good luck!

Posted: 18 November 2008 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

Peel, and cut whole carrots into coins; boil until they are very soft then drain and puree in a food processor.  I once tried not peeling them and while I’m sure it was my imagination, I didn’t like the cake as much.  Plus some of the skins came off, which just got incorporated into the puree but still; I didn’t like it wink

If you do a pound of carrots, you can puree the whole batch in one go, but if you do more than that, you need to puree them in batches.  I’ve never tried to do this in a blender, just a food processor (or the Robot Coupe at work).

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2008 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I once didn’t peel the carrots for my chicken stock, thinking they would contribute more flavor/nutrition, but my stock actually ended up tasting somewhat bitter.  Won’t make that mistake ever again.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 19 November 2008 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

I am not been 100% scientific here, but I believe the rose factor on the carrot ring would be the same of the smallest 7” minus butter cakes.  The surface width is just about 4 inches (from side to side of a slice of ring).  The only layered carrot cake i made with this recipe was Elaine’s 7-5-3-inch tiered cake, so I used the same ‘rose factor’ on each layer.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 19 November 2008 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-12-20

What are you frosting the cake with, Jeanne?  I love the smoothness of buttercream made with syrup, but I adore cream cheese, too.  Have you found a happy solution? 

How many different ways do all you other bakers frost your carrot cakes?

1 of 3