UK cook confused on cake flour?
Posted: 07 October 2013 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2013-10-07

Hi

I have just bought a copy of The cake bible from ebay…Having read that Bleached cake flour is different from the UK non bleached flour…I have tried to get the right flour..

Having read about “Kate flour” which is microwaved flour i decided to try a UK supplier of Gold medal all purpose bleached flour…..

However i am confused on how to substitute it for Cake flour?..

I have learnt that you can use The same weight AP flour as Cake flour…But there is no mention of adding Corn Starch? ..This is the bit i am confused about..
Can someone please help?

Also the protein content of Gold medal all purpose bleached flour is 3g per 100g ,That is lower than Cake flour? does this mean it is better?

Thanks

Rob

Posted: 07 October 2013 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Rob!

Welcome!

I am only going to be partly helpful here.

You can sub BLEACHED all purpose flour for cake flour without any other changes.  (I think, upon occasion, Rose will recommend a slightly different quantity, but, if so, it will be specified in the recipe.)  Apparently, the bleaching of the proteins change them enough to work without the finer cake flour milling or adding corn starch, etc.  The final texture will be a little different, though (not as fine a crumb), but the cake will rise correctly, have a good crumb, etc.

However, I’m not sure if the bleached Gold Medal flour you are finding from your supplier is the same as the U.S. version—you know how manufactuers make things a bit differnt from country to country.  With that in mind, I can’t say for sure if it would work as intended, unless the flour is the “U.S. version.”

We have at least a few UK bakers here, and, hopefully, one of then will see your post.  You are the first person I have read who has posted about being able to find bleached AP in the UK, so I’m not sure what experience they will have.

Finally, I’ve made Rose’s cakes with UNBLEACHED AP, and they come out with a “homey” texture with a bit of a coarser crumb—depending on the cake, it’s rather nice.  Here’s a link to that cake—you can see the crumb, etc.:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3054/  If you do this, you will want to decrease the BP by 1/8 t. (or even a teeny bit more, but not much) per layer to strengthen the structure.  I didn’t, and I got a bit of a birdbath effect, but frosting took care of that nicely. 

Try a one-layer test! 

Good luck—let us know what works for you—and post pics of your results if you’d care to!

—ak

p.s.  We also have some good scientific folks who will be able to answer your protein questions!

Posted: 08 October 2013 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07

Thanks For the fast reply…The Gold medal bleached all purpose flour is imported from the USA….I will post some Photos of results with USA flour and our UK flour to compare..

I am hoping the results will be worth the effort!..I have the UK version of The Cake Bible…Which i believe has slightly different recipes.. So i am going to purchase the USA version…

Thanks

Rob

Posted: 08 October 2013 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

You should be able to sub directly, then, when you use the US version of TCB.

Good luck!

Looking forward to hearing your results!!!!

Posted: 08 October 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  771
Joined  2007-11-15

Hello Rob,  I am in the UK and I have been using Rose’s recipes for the past 5-6 years with great success, in fact I prefer to use the recipes from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes in preference to all the many other baking books I own, American and BRITISH!  I have also used recipes from the Cake Bible too, my version is the US one, which Rose herself recommended to me.  I have not used bleached AP flour at any time but I have used American cake flour which I was given when a friend came back from a visit.  SSHHH, it is not supposed to be brought over here!

The cakes I baked with the cake flour were perfect, a lovely soft crumb and they rose as expected.  But I have also made very good cakes using our plain flour also.  I used Kate’s method initially, using the microwave and it was successful but a bit long-winded and messy to be honest.  I then tried supplementing some of the plain flour with cornflour and this was alright but a friend told me about using potato flour instead of cornflour and this seems the best solution so far.  I am not saying the resulting cakes are comparable in a side by side tasting to those made with US cake flour but they are certainly acceptable and no-one has ever refused a slice (or two!) when offered.  The ratio I use is one eighth of potato flour, seven eighths plain flour. 

Out of interest, Shipton Mill Flour company sell a cake flour, it is not the same as the American flour as it is not bleached but I believe it is good and I know people who do use it are pleased with it.  You can buy it online. 
I hope you have as much success with Rose’s recipes as I have had, I’m sure you will be another convert someday soon.  Let us know how you get on.

Posted: 08 October 2013 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2007-11-18
Rob - 07 October 2013 08:42 PM

Hi

I have just bought a copy of The cake bible from ebay…Having read that Bleached cake flour is different from the UK non bleached flour…I have tried to get the right flour..

Having read about “Kate flour” which is microwaved flour i decided to try a UK supplier of Gold medal all purpose bleached flour…..

However i am confused on how to substitute it for Cake flour?..

I have learnt that you can use The same weight AP flour as Cake flour…But there is no mention of adding Corn Starch? ..This is the bit i am confused about..
Can someone please help?

Also the protein content of Gold medal all purpose bleached flour is 3g per 100g ,That is lower than Cake flour? does this mean it is better?

Thanks

Rob

ROB:
  Good day. Rob, I believe the 3g on the side of the flour bag table denotes the protein strength of the flour. 3g is approx 10.5% strength.

2g denotes cake flour at approx 7% to 8% protein & pastry flour at about 9% strength.

4g is bread flour at 1175% to 13%  & 5g is Hi~Glutin flour. at about 14.2%

Good luck in your quest for the flour you are wanting enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 09 October 2013 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07

Wow Thanks for all the help..

Very friendly forum..Glad i have joined..It will be a few weeks before i bake some cakes with the new flour..but i will post the results in this splendid forum for sure..

I did not know that the size of the cake pan is so important so i’m going to order a good set of cake pans the proper size ..and wont be baking until i get the proper size pans..

Thanks

Rob

Posted: 09 October 2013 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Rob!

I look forward to your results!

As to cake pans—“regular” butter cakes can be scaled for 1-1/2” or 2” deep pans—just stay away from the 3” deep pans, becuase Rose’s recipes won’t work in those!

Happy day,

—ak

Posted: 09 October 2013 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

re: corn starch, that is mostly a matter of how tender you would like the cake.  If you sub a stronger bleached flour (such as US bleached AP) for US cake flour, you can sub by weight and the texture will be less tender, less crumbly.  If you want the tenderness of cake flour, then you can sub something like 90% AP with 10% corn starch.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 13 October 2013 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07
Anne in NC - 09 October 2013 01:38 PM

Hi, Rob!

I look forward to your results!

As to cake pans—“regular” butter cakes can be scaled for 1-1/2” or 2” deep pans—just stay away from the 3” deep pans, becuase Rose’s recipes won’t work in those!

Happy day,

—ak

Hi

I have looked at various reviews on cake pans and i have ordered from the USA 2 Parrish Magic Line 9” Diameter x 2” High ...Also read that Rose likes the Parish Line so gone for those ..They will take a few weeks to arrive..

Rob