Recipe by mail…thoughts and advice appreciated!
Posted: 09 October 2013 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-10-09

Morning all,

Am new to this forum but it seemed like a good place to ask this question.

I have a friend who lives in quite a remote area and I wanted to send her the ingredients for a cake recipe that I have found.

Because she lives in a remote area I don’t know how long it would be before she collects the package and I was wondering about swapping fresh ingredients for dried - such as eggs/milk/cream and butter.

I was wondering if anyone had done this before?  Does it affect the taste too much by using powdered ingredients?  How safe would it be sending proper eggs and butter by mail? Can anyone recommend good substitutes for fresh ingredients?

Any advice appreciated.

regards

Posted: 09 October 2013 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

Never really heard of dried butter. grin For the milk, cream, and butter, it’s the butterfat which is susceptible to going rancid. Clearly, replacing this is technically possible, since we have cake mixes, but the solid fats have to be replaced with something with a longer shelf life. Looks like it’s partially hydrogenated soybean oil.

Commercial enterprises that need to send perishables have insulated shipping packs that contain cold packs. Even so, you’d probably need to plan on expedited shipping; not sure how long these things really stay at safe temperatures.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach