Homemade (sort of) liquers (or whatever they would be)
Posted: 09 October 2013 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3131
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I was given an old Frugal Gourmet cookbook, and it has a recipe for a Kaluha-type beverage.  Basically (and this is from memory, so it may be slightly off, but I think I’m pretty much right), you make a simple syrup of 4c. water, 4c. sugar and 2oz. instant espresso.  Add a vanilla bean.  When it cools, add a fifth of burbon.  Bottle it up and let it root for a couple months.  Not exactly homemade, but I was thinking it might make an interesting gift.  I’ve seen other recipes that use less water in the syrup, real coffee beans and cocoa nibs.  I’m not a huge Frug fan, but I feel like this could be up his alley and would tend to go with his recipe.

Has anyone tried anything like this—including other “flavors?”  What did you think?

Would you use a good, medium or cheap bourbon?  I can’t figure it out.  On the one hand, you’re surely getting flavor.  On the other hand, you’ve got a whole lot of other ingredients masking it.

I’d love your thoughts!!!

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 11 October 2013 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

Wish I could help but I am impressed that you are thinking about gifts already.  You are an inspiration.  Perhaps I will make some little jars of spiked jam smile

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 12 October 2013 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

That recipe sounds like it will have a different flavor than kahlua, because kahlua doesn’t have the bourbon base flavor.  So it might be great if you want to make a coffee liqueur and aren’t necessarily trying to mimic kahlua.  If you are trying to mimic kahlua then maybe something with a neutral base (vodka) is appropriate.

re: bourbon quality, I would go with something medium quality- anything too nice would have its finer points overpowered, but you also don’t want something that is way too harsh (cheap).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 14 October 2013 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you both! 

So, Julie—you’re the liquor queen.  What do you think of this idea?  Cheesy?  A good idea?  Honestly, becuase I’m not attached to it or anything.  Hubby thinks its a bad idea.  I’d say these folks are fond of a nice drink, and know much more about alcohol than I do, although probably not as much as you!

I’m baking and such, too, so it’s no biggie, so please be honest—I’d love the opinion of someone sort of the same level.

If I go with it, it would be fine—even better—if it wasn’t a Kahlua “replica,” so bourbon would be nice.

Thanks!!

—ak

Posted: 14 October 2013 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Hmmm, do I think it would be a good gift?  Were it me, I would be very curious and interested, but ultimately my enjoyment of it would depend on how good the liqueur turned out to be.  I don’t know how accurate it would be to make up a small test batch and steep it for a short time only before tasting, but that’s probably what I would try to do. 

Not a definitive answer, I know, but there you are. smile

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Julie!  I think I’m going to bag it.  I’ve decided it’s all too “assembled” rather than “made,” if you know what I mean.

But if I wanted to make bourbon balls, can you recommend a brand?  If I make them, I want them to be super good!

Posted: 16 October 2013 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

You mean bourbon cake balls?  Rose has a recipe in her Celebrations book, I’ve had my eye on it a while and have been meaning to try it.  I’m traveling at the moment so I don’t have the book with me, but I can PM you when I get back.  Or you could hit the library smile

Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Himmm…..I didn’t realize Rose had a bourbon ball recipe.  I was really just asking for a recommendation for a brand of burbon.

I was going to use this one:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Bourbon-Balls-367849

And make the Nilla Wafers from scratch with this recipe:  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/10/homemade-nilla-vanilla-wafers.html

But I don’t have a firm decision.

Happy for any thoughts!

If you make Rose’s, do post!!!!!

Posted: 19 October 2013 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Oh, sorry- a brand- Maker’s Mark is reasonably well-regarded smile

Signature 

Posted: 27 October 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]