higher rise on 10 inch chocolate butter cake.
Posted: 10 October 2013 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2011-05-15

i was planning to use the measurement listed at the end of the cake bible to figure out my measurements for a 10 inch chocolate butter cake but this got me thinking that the last time i did this i dint get much rise on my cake. i like my cakes a little on the taller side cause i torte them both into half to get three layers of filling. So if i wanted them to be taller , how much extra should i make ?

Posted: 11 October 2013 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2011-05-15

bump ! =)

Posted: 11 October 2013 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

I am not sure what percentage you should use to get a higher cakje, but check the errata on the main blog for this as there are notes Re: the cake.  The errata, however, does mention making a different height

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 October 2013 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27
chocoholic - 10 October 2013 12:47 AM

So if i wanted them to be taller , how much extra should i make ?

That depends on how high you want your cake. Cakes as tender as Rose’s don’t have the strength to get too high, but you can experiment. Take whatever recipe you’re using and boost all the ingredients by some percentage, such as 20% and see what happens. I haven’t seen much higher than 1 1/4 inches for her chocolate cake recipes, but I don’t know if that’s the highest she could get or she was rounding to the nearest whole egg. If you’re OK using fractional eggs, you can scale very minutely.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach