Question regarding adjusting moisture for different cocoa powders
Posted: 10 October 2013 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

Hello there !
Rose said in a comment on chocolate butter cake. : another problem could be the valrhona cocoa. it is “heavier”—i think higher in cocoa butter. try green & blacks or drostes and i think you’ll be amazed by the difference.
also of course the cake strip for the sides and do cover the cocoa/water mixture.

Unfortunately i already committed to a kilo of Valrhona cocoa powder and i need to use it day after for the chocolate butter cake. With all this talk of dryness, just wondering if i should adjust for the cocoa powder by increasing the water or butter content? Or should i be reducing it? Not sure! And if so by how much? Much thanks for any ideas ! Hello there !
Rose said in a comment above : another problem could be the valrhona cocoa. it is “heavier”—i think higher in cocoa butter. try green & blacks or drostes and i think you’ll be amazed by the difference.
also of course the cake strip for the sides and do cover the cocoa/water mixture.

Unfortunately i already committed to a kilo of Valrhona cocoa powder and i need to use it day after for the chocolate butter cake. With all this talk of dryness, just wondering if i should adjust for the cocoa powder by increasing the water or butter content? Or should i be reducing it? Not sure! And if so by how much? Much thanks for any ideas !

Posted: 12 October 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

I don’t think you need to make any adjustments for Valrhona, it is a full fat cocoa.  Rose doesn’t care for the flavor, but if it suits you then have a great time using it smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 12 October 2013 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27
chocoholic - 10 October 2013 01:58 PM

it is “heavier”—i think higher in cocoa butter. try green & blacks or drostes and i think you’ll be amazed by the difference.

I can’t really tell which question that Rose is addressing her answer to, but the higher fat content of cocoa is a good thing in regards to dryness; fat makes food feel moist.

I see that some people think Valrhona tastes bitter; a little extra vanilla will fix that right up.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach