1 of 2
How to use corn flour?
Posted: 13 October 2013 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-03-25

Hi all,

I have corn flour in stock and expect using it for baking bread.  I have searched a while unable to find a recipe.  All recipe found on my searching were using cornmeal.

Please help.

Thanks

Rgds
satimis

Posted: 14 October 2013 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

I am not an expert but I do make quite a lot of bread, yeasted and sourdough.  I have never used cornflour in any bread recipe as far as I can remember, most bread recipes just use flour, of various types, water, salt and yeast, or sourdough starter.  I believe cornmeal to be something like polenta or semolina.  Are you in the UK or US?

Posted: 14 October 2013 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-11-16

I use corn flour sometimes to replace AP flour when I make cornbread.  It gives the bread a better corn flavor.  I also use corn flour to make tortillas.

Posted: 14 October 2013 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I think the CORNFLOUR in the UK is a different commodity to the one in the US, that’s why I asked where the query came from.  In the UK cornflour is a very fine, white powder usually added to lighten a mixture.  Is that what you use for your tortillas?

Posted: 14 October 2013 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-11-16

Yes, it is Mesa flour!  I do not make tortillas often, when I have a bag that needs used I add it to the cornmeal when making cornbread.  It s fine, like ap flour.

Posted: 14 October 2013 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18
jeannette - 14 October 2013 10:13 AM

I think the CORNFLOUR in the UK is a different commodity to the one in the US, that’s why I asked where the query came from.  In the UK cornflour is a very fine, white powder usually added to lighten a mixture.  Is that what you use for your tortillas?

JEANNETTE:
  Good morning my friend.  Jeannette, I believe in the UK countries “CORNFLOUR” is “CORNSTARCH” you know the thickner stuff.

In America cornflour is exactly that….flour. I use just a little when I bake yeasted lean bread doughs along with a small amount of lite rye flour as well.

Well Jeannette it is nice to be posting with you once again.

Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~CASS.

Posted: 14 October 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hello Freshkid,  nice to hear from you!  I think we are all getting a bit confused with terminolgy here, what we in the UK call cornflour, you in the States call it cornstarch.  At least that is what I have always read and understood.  I don’t use cornflour a lot, but it is something we all like to have in our storecupboards.  I use it mainly for thickening sauces, adding about a teaspoonful to a half-pint of liquid and then cooking the sauce gently.  I don’t add it to bread doughs though.

I hope you are keeping well, it is nice to see your name cropping up on here from time to time, not so many of us old timers around on here any more!:lol:

Posted: 14 October 2013 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18
jeannette - 14 October 2013 12:26 PM

Hello Freshkid,  nice to hear from you!  I think we are all getting a bit confused with terminolgy here, what we in the UK call cornflour, you in the States call it cornstarch.  At least that is what I have always read and understood.  I don’t use cornflour a lot, but it is something we all like to have in our storecupboards.  I use it mainly for thickening sauces, adding about a teaspoonful to a half-pint of liquid and then cooking the sauce gently.  I don’t add it to bread doughs though.

I hope you are keeping well, it is nice to see your name cropping up on here from time to time, not so many of us old timers around on here any more!:lol:

JEANNETTE:
Hello again. Thank you for the timely reply. Jeannette, please re~read my post to you carefully.
I believe I wrote what you wrote but in a differant manner.

Yes, I do not recognize most names. But & however, it is always nice to welcome & see new friends

Good day Jeannette.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 14 October 2013 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Satamis!!!

There’s always super-yummy cornbread with all its fabulous variations!!!!

Do you have that in the UK?  It’s sort of crumbly-cake like, and is great with any meal or on its own.  Warm or cold, with butter or without!  You can keep it pure, add bits of corn, cheese, chilis or anything else.

Here’s a link to a recipe—I haven’t tried it, myself—http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/moist-and-easy-cornbread-recipe/index.html

I’ve actually never made cornbread.  I don’t know why—it’s one of my favorite things!!!

You can also make it “lacy” where it’s sort of drizzled in a cast iron pan.

You can also make corn muffins.

Yum yum yum yum yum yum yum!!!!

—ak

Posted: 15 October 2013 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2012-01-12

If it is the “Masa” kind, then you can make sweet Tamales. If it is corn starch, then that would be different.

Posted: 16 October 2013 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

It was my impression that Satimis is in SE Asia somewhere. Singapore or Hong Kong but that was just an impression. Satimis was baking amazing cakes in a bread machine a while back.
As the others have noted it is difficult to make suggestions without better information. What is the nature of your corn flour?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 16 October 2013 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, yes, I see what prettycake is getting at.  If it’s cornflour > corn starch, I guess you’re stuck with pies and blancmange!!!!!

Posted: 16 October 2013 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-25

Hi all,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a pack of bob’s red mill corn flour, stone ground, on shelves for sometimes.  I expect finding a way using it for making bread.  I don’t have cornmeal.

Rgds
satimis

Posted: 16 October 2013 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi Satimis,

Bob’s Red Mill is a great brand.  I always buy his Almond flour for macarons.  The corn flour you are talking about is the one used to make Masa, but you can use that to make bread also.  Don’t confuse that with Corn Meal or corn starch, it is not the same, which I know you already are aware. Just do your search.  It is out there.  When I make Tamales (chicken) during the Holidays, I buy it in bulk, not just a small package, but it is the same as what you have.  Good luck.  let us know how it came out.

Posted: 17 October 2013 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24
jeannette - 14 October 2013 12:26 PM

I bet when the new book is published, the old timers will get busy again smile

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 19 October 2013 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-25
prettycake - 16 October 2013 11:13 PM

Hi Satimis,

Bob’s Red Mill is a great brand.  I always buy his Almond flour for macarons.  The corn flour you are talking about is the one used to make Masa, but you can use that to make bread also.  Don’t confuse that with Corn Meal or corn starch, it is not the same, which I know you already are aware. Just do your search.  It is out there.  When I make Tamales (chicken) during the Holidays, I buy it in bulk, not just a small package, but it is the same as what you have.  Good luck.  let us know how it came out.

Hi,

I followed following recipe;
Brazilian Cornbread ( Bread Machine )
http://www.food.com/recipe/brazilian-cornbread-bread-machine-140010

Ingredients (suggested on above link)
milk 1 cup
water 1/4 cup + 3 tsp
egg 1
butter 43g
sugar 37g
salt 9g
corn flour, yellow, stone ground 188g
bread flour 318g
anise seed (not available)
active dry yeast 2 1/2 teaspoons

Machine setting: basic white bread
Loaf: 750g
Bread crust: light brown

The top of the bread rose first and then collapsed before baking finished.
(see attached photo)

Texture is NOT bad but it tastes similar to biscuit rather than bread, easy to break.

Suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

Rgds
satimis

Image Attachments
cornbread_top.jpegcornbread_slices.jpeg

1 of 2