old fashion jelly cake recipe?
Posted: 17 November 2008 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-10-25

I have an order for a jelly cake but its really hard for me to find a recipe. If anyone has a good recipe please share it with me.

Posted: 17 November 2008 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I had never heard of this, but a quick internet search pulled up several recipes.  It seems there are two types: one with jelly baked as a layer inside the cake and one where jelly is poured over cake as an icing.  Which one are you looking for?

Posted: 17 November 2008 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-18

SWEETTREATS:
Good morning to you. Is it possible you are looking for a jelly~roll type of baked product???. If so that should be easy enough to secure a recipe for.
  Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 17 November 2008 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-25

I’m looking for the one that has the jelly as the icing

Posted: 17 November 2008 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-25

This cake is one that I had growing up it’s a layered cake with jelly in between the layers
and it has about 6 thin layers.

Posted: 17 November 2008 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Here’s one I saw:

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/ild/2007/0707/jelly-cake.html

If you split the layers, you would have six.

Posted: 17 November 2008 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I bet you could use your favorite yellow cake recipe for this—don’t you think?

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 09 December 2008 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-12-09
sweettreats - 17 November 2008 05:21 PM

I have an order for a jelly cake but its really hard for me to find a recipe. If anyone has a good recipe please share it with me.

I have a recipe from my great grandmother - it is a huge tradition.  Our cakes have 10 layers and each is handrolled, baked and topped with grape jelly until we complete all 10 layers.  It calls for flour, sugar, butter, lard, egg, milk, cinnamon, whole nutmeg and ground nutmeg.  Does this sound like what you are looking for?

Posted: 14 November 2009 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-11-14
sweettreats - 17 November 2008 05:21 PM

For jelly cake layers, you can use your basic 1-2-3-4 yellow and then spread with the jelly.

Posted: 14 November 2009 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25
sweettreats - 17 November 2008 06:46 PM

This cake is one that I had growing up it’s a layered cake with jelly in between the layers
and it has about 6 thin layers.

Not really a recipe per se, rather a construction technique.  This is an old fashioned Charleston-style cake (because coconuts were brought into this shipping port during the 18th and 19th century), usually yellow cake (or pound cake) that has been torted into four or six layers with a layer of fruit preserves between each layer (sometimes with an additional cream or frosting layer in addition to a “jelly” layer).  The cream/jelly layer was formed by applying the cream layer to the top of one layer, then spreading a thin layer of jelly on the bottom of the next layer.  The best of the original coconut cakes were made with this construction in each layer, making a coconut custard filling out of the coconut milk, and layering the cake as described for each layer until you got to the top layer of the cake (left bare for the frosting),  then icing the entire cake with something like either a seven minute frosting or a coconut mousseline and coating the icing with a layer of grated coconut (even better if you toast the coconut!). Even better still if you lightly syrup each cake round with a cocoanut-extracted syrup!

Ahhhh!  The advantages of growing up in the South!

YUM!

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato