1 of 2
Buttercream Suggestions for Karmel Cake
Posted: 21 October 2013 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I am going to be making this cake for my mother in laws 70th, and my brother in laws 50th Birthday.  ( We are killing two birds with one stone )  I am bored with making vanilla or chocolate for family birthdays,  I still love the flavors, but I want to make something different,  plus I they always give me full reign as to flavors and decorating.  (  I am going to try a tiffany box cake for this event )

I just need some suggestions as to what buttercream will compliment this cake. 

Posted: 21 October 2013 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Ms. Liza!

Oh, yum!

Let’s see!  You can take any neoclassic and beat any kind of a nut butter into it:  hazelnut butter (would be great with a coffee buttercream, too), almond butter, peanut butter, pecan butter.

Or use any classic or neoclassic (again, I’d go for coffee, myself) and decorate with nuts (or pralined nuts, or make toffee and put toffee shards on it).  Or—yum—spread a thin layer of melted chocolate on a parchment, sprinkle lightly with fleur de sel, and when it hardens, break it into shards and stick them on the frosted cake to decorate, either “horizontally” as armor, or sticking out like shards.  Or top with a 2nd layer of parchment, roll, and when it’s cold, unroll, and you get a sort of “birch bark” appearance that you can dump onto the cake like kindling.  It’s prettier than it sounds, and super-fast and easy.

How about a cinnamon bun frosting (i.e. add cinnamon to a vanilla frosting).  You could decorate it with slivered almonds.  It could be a bear claw cake!!!!!

Fruits that are great with caramel are apples and pineapple—and orange, I would think—so you could use a cream cheese frosting and top (or fill) with caramelized fruits.  In fact, you could use the caramel cake (instead of the buttermilk country cake, which I think Rose’s recipe uses) to make 2 upside down cakes (apple or pineapple) and then treat them like cake layers, frosting them with cream cheese frosting.  That could be pretty spectacular.  If you go with orange, just make the caramel cakes, frost with orange cc frosting (just add about 3T grated orange peel to the frosting) and top with candied orange peel or chopped homemade orangettes.

If the buttercream seems too rich, thicken a cup of milk with just under 1/4 cup of flour, cool it completely, and beat it in.  It’ll lighten the frosting a lot, and everyone will think it’s calorie-free.

So, buttercream, which was your actual question:  caramel, of course; coffee; apple; orange; pineapple; coffee; any kind of nut, especially almond, peanut or hazelnut.

Can’t wait to hear about it!!!!!!  Yum caramel!!!

—ak

Posted: 21 October 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Oh my goodness Anne, you are a wealth of information and ideas!!!  The only requirement is that the buttercream needs to be smooth because I am going to try and use a very thin layer of fondant over top, to create a tiffany colored box.  If I can roll it out quite thin,  it might not be too bad ( although it will probably be peeled off anyways )

What do you think about caramel silk meringue buttercream for icing the cake.

I like the pecan butter idea,  but I would like a smooth consistency for the pecan butter.

Any ideas for a filling that would compliment the cake and buttercream, maybe a salted caramel mousse.

Posted: 21 October 2013 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Ooooooh, I thought you were putting it INTO Tiffany box!  Okay, I get it.

If I wanted smooth, I’d go for coffee.  Maybe adding hazelnut praline to the salted caramel mousse filling!

You can buy pecan (or almost any nut butter) from Natural Zing, but it’s fairly expensive.  I make my own with an auger-style juicer.  I am told you can make them in a blender, adding a bit of oil.  An easier option would be to praline them and make praline buttercream, refrigerate, and then “smooth frost” with some reserved “regular” buttercream to go between it and the fondant.

I think salted caramel mousse would be fabulous!!!!!!  You can also use whatever frosting you plan and mix nuts into it for the filling.  (I am a nut fiend.)

At the same time, I think the caramel-caramel-caramel plan is also good.  I think it goes against most “rules” except chocolate-chocolate and vanilla-vanilla, but if I heard caramel cake with caramel frosting and salted caramel mousse, I’d be sure to come on an empty stomach!

Posted: 21 October 2013 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Anne!! Maybe I shouldn’t go caramel-caramel-caramel,  Maybe I could incorporate some chocolate in there somewhere.  I don’t know.  I think I am going to make a test cake first to see what the flavor is like, since I have never tried it before.  I just cant seem to decide what to make with it.  I know you have made this cake before, did it have a strong caramel flavor.

Posted: 21 October 2013 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Actually, I don’t think it did.  I have made a “caramel” cake before that used brown sugar instead of real caramel, and it tasted just as caramely.  Caramel flavor gets masked easily, so I think you can easily “get away” with pseudo-caramel.  I do remember thinking the Karmel cake was dry (as opposed to my “caramel” cake), so I am glad you’re making a test cake first.  I think that, somehow, caramel results may vary that could affect the amount of liquid in the final cake.

Posted: 21 October 2013 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks so much for all your help anne.  What other caramel cake did you make using the brown sugar?

Posted: 21 October 2013 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Liza!

The cake I made was from Southern Lady - November/December 2008.

I haven’t made it for a long time; thus, I forgot that It is—are you ready?—a carmel/carmel cake—caramel cake, caramel filled, with caramel cream cheese frosting.  Now, fully assembled, this is a very sweet cake, but it’s very good.  I’m from PA, but I live in SC, and everyone was pretty crazy about it and said it is a “true Southern caramel cake.”  You can also only do the “cake part,” if you want, using your own filling & frosting.  I have done both.  Here, I just the cake part here, and I tweeded it with grated unsweetened chocolate and filled with hazelnut:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/6740/

Before I give you the recipe, I want to also pitch this cake to you—a massively delicious, most, fabulous pumpkin cake:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Four-Layer-Pumpkin-Cake-with-Orange-Cream-Cheese-Frosting-355809  I’ve made it twice—one with the orange cream cheese frosting shown, and once with lemon cream cheese frosting using about 3 pkgs cc, 3 sticks butter, 1-1/2 c powdered sugar and the juice and zest of 4 lemons.  This cake is outstanding (and about the sweetness of a Rose cake)—and I even use unbleached AP flour in it.  It tortes beautifully, and I put 2/3 c frosting between each layer and used the rest on the top and outside.  The first time (orange frosting) was many years ago (my 2nd cake—first was the one below), and it was very, very popular.  Last week, with the lemon cc frosting, after about 30 cakes, most of which were Rose cakes—I had three—three—people at work saying it was the best cake I ever made.  These people have all had lots of my cakes, and they really like it that they aren’t too sweet (none of them had the caramel cake—‘twas a long time ago).

So, here’s the recipe for the caramel cake:

CAKE

350 degrees; three 9” layers (based upon qty of flour, you can see these are 3 flattish layers, so you could make two “regular” layers instead if you want)

1 c [2 sticks] butter
1 c [200 g] sugar
1 c [217 g] firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 t vanilla
6 large eggs [180 g white / 120 g yolk]
2-1/2 c AP flour [300 g](I use unbleached for a moister feeling cake)
1 t BP
1 t BS
1/4 t salt
1 c sour cream [1 container, heh heh]

Cake Instructions:

Beat 1 c butter, sugar, and dark brown sugar—medium, until creamy.
Add vanilla then eggs, one at a time, beating well after each (yada yada)
Mix flour-BP-BS-Salt—gradually add to butter mixture, alternating with sour cream, beginning/ending with flour
Bake 15-17 minutes or until a woodon pick inserted comes out clean
Cool completely

FILLING:

1/3 c butter [5 T]
2 c [434 g] firmly packed light brown sugar
2/3 c evaporaed milk [don’t know g here]

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. 
Cook, sitrring unil sugar is dissolved.
Cook without stirring to 238 degrees.
Tranasfer to a heat-resistant bowl and beat at medium speed for 2-3 minutes, or until it thickens slightly and is easy to spread.
Working quickly, spread caramel mixture on top of 2 cake layers
Refrigerate 15 minutes, or until set

CARAMEL CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

1/2 c [108 g] firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c [58 g] heavy whipping cream
1/2 c + 2T butter [1 stick + 2T]
1 8oz pk crema cheese (sofened)
1/4 t vanilla
5 c powdered sugar, sifted (this is ridiculous—it’s been years, but I doubt I used all this!)

In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, crea & 2T butter over medium heat
Cook 3-4 m inutes, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved
Cool c ompletely

In a large bowl, beat cc and remaining 1/2 c butter at medium speed until smooth
Add brown sugar mixture and vanilla, beating to combine well
Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth

ASSEMBLY

Frost the top of one caramel-topped layer.
Put another caramel-topped layer on it.  Frost it.
Frost the sides & top.

Posted: 21 October 2013 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank you so much for posting this recipe.  It looks amazing.  I think that I will make this one.  I love Rose’s recipes, but once in a while I like to try something new.  I already know that it tastes great from reading your previous post.

Did you convert the measurements into weights when you made this?

I think I am going to go with the caramel silk meringue buttercream, and I found a milk chocolate caramel mousse recipe on line that I might try for the filling.

I personally love pumpkin, but I know that some people attending the party are not too keen on it.  So I will save that recipe for another time.

I have already scrapped the tiffany box,  I just can’t make myself cover all that yumminess with fondant.  So I am planning to make a vine that will twist around the cake with fall colored leaves, berries and maybe some acorns. 

I love your idea of tweeding the cake.

Posted: 22 October 2013 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Ooooh, I think your cake will be really good.  There’s a salted caramel mousse in this month’s LHJ (somehow I got a free subscription).  I’ll pst it later in case you want to see it.  I agree re Tiffany box—yummy comes first.  Added grams above for how I’d do it!

Posted: 22 October 2013 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Again, thank you so much Anne.  You have been so helpful.  And I would love that salted caramel mousse recipe.

Posted: 22 October 2013 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

No problem!  It’s so fun to talk baking.  Anyway, sorry for the somewhat terse reply above—I had to head out the door, but I wanted to get the grams up there.

Here’s the caramel mousse:  http://www.lhj.com/recipe/caramel-mousse-and-chocolate-tart/

I was mistaken, though—it’s not a salted caramel mousee.  The salt is on the chocolate shards (I stole this concept for my initial reply to your post).  But you could easily salt it!

This whole dessert looks yummy to me.  I might make it for my friend’s b’day in April.  I’ll have to work some almond into the crust, though.  Or maybe chop them and add them to the chocolate with thes alt!

I love your idea of the vine and the acorns.  I don’t think there’s much cuter things in the world than acorns.  Except squirrels with their white Buddha bellies.  Squirrels with acorns!  I’m on teh 4th floor where I live, and we have a squirrel who lives in the scar/hole of the huge oak right outside our window.  We’ve named him Wilbur.  Okay, all that was OT.  smile

Posted: 22 October 2013 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m a bit late to the party, but I love the idea of coffee-caramel silk meringue buttercream with the Karmel cake smile

Hope you’ll post pictures, your work is alwasy so very beautiful (and delicious!).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 22 October 2013 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Your too funny Anne.  Always fun to talk to you.

Thanks Julie.  Hopefully it turns out ok.

Posted: 26 October 2013 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Anne, just wanted to confirm the amount of baking powder and baking soda in the southern lady’s caramel cake.  It is teaspoons not tablespoons right?

From your pictures,  I am correct to assume that you baked it in 2 9 inch cake pans instead of 3?  What were the height of the layers baked in 2 9 inch pans

My final decision for flavor combinations is Southern lady`s caramel cake, filled with light whipped milk chocolate ganache and a recipe I found online for caramel Italian merinque buttercream ( very similar to Rose`s mousseline - which is an Italian meringue buttercream

And I will be tweeding the cake with unsweetened chocolate.  Love that idea.

Posted: 26 October 2013 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Liza!

Yes, I baked in 2, rather than 3, pans.  I would say they were a “normal” height—I don’t measure them.  I think they had a respectable height, from the picture, whereas sometimes my layers are rather shorter than I would like.

I confirmed the recipe called for teaspoons for both the BP and BS.

I hope you like the cake!!!!

I love your selected combo!

—ak

1 of 2