Buttercream Suggestions for Karmel Cake
Posted: 21 October 2013 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2009-09-16

I am going to be making this cake for my mother in laws 70th, and my brother in laws 50th Birthday.  ( We are killing two birds with one stone )  I am bored with making vanilla or chocolate for family birthdays,  I still love the flavors, but I want to make something different,  plus I they always give me full reign as to flavors and decorating.  (  I am going to try a tiffany box cake for this event )

I just need some suggestions as to what buttercream will compliment this cake. 

Posted: 21 October 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Oh my goodness Anne, you are a wealth of information and ideas!!!  The only requirement is that the buttercream needs to be smooth because I am going to try and use a very thin layer of fondant over top, to create a tiffany colored box.  If I can roll it out quite thin,  it might not be too bad ( although it will probably be peeled off anyways )

What do you think about caramel silk meringue buttercream for icing the cake.

I like the pecan butter idea,  but I would like a smooth consistency for the pecan butter.

Any ideas for a filling that would compliment the cake and buttercream, maybe a salted caramel mousse.

Posted: 21 October 2013 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Anne!! Maybe I shouldn’t go caramel-caramel-caramel,  Maybe I could incorporate some chocolate in there somewhere.  I don’t know.  I think I am going to make a test cake first to see what the flavor is like, since I have never tried it before.  I just cant seem to decide what to make with it.  I know you have made this cake before, did it have a strong caramel flavor.

Posted: 21 October 2013 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks so much for all your help anne.  What other caramel cake did you make using the brown sugar?

Posted: 21 October 2013 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank you so much for posting this recipe.  It looks amazing.  I think that I will make this one.  I love Rose’s recipes, but once in a while I like to try something new.  I already know that it tastes great from reading your previous post.

Did you convert the measurements into weights when you made this?

I think I am going to go with the caramel silk meringue buttercream, and I found a milk chocolate caramel mousse recipe on line that I might try for the filling.

I personally love pumpkin, but I know that some people attending the party are not too keen on it.  So I will save that recipe for another time.

I have already scrapped the tiffany box,  I just can’t make myself cover all that yumminess with fondant.  So I am planning to make a vine that will twist around the cake with fall colored leaves, berries and maybe some acorns. 

I love your idea of tweeding the cake.

Posted: 22 October 2013 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Again, thank you so much Anne.  You have been so helpful.  And I would love that salted caramel mousse recipe.

Posted: 22 October 2013 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4670
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m a bit late to the party, but I love the idea of coffee-caramel silk meringue buttercream with the Karmel cake smile

Hope you’ll post pictures, your work is alwasy so very beautiful (and delicious!).

Posted: 22 October 2013 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Your too funny Anne.  Always fun to talk to you.

Thanks Julie.  Hopefully it turns out ok.

Posted: 26 October 2013 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Anne, just wanted to confirm the amount of baking powder and baking soda in the southern lady’s caramel cake.  It is teaspoons not tablespoons right?

From your pictures,  I am correct to assume that you baked it in 2 9 inch cake pans instead of 3?  What were the height of the layers baked in 2 9 inch pans

My final decision for flavor combinations is Southern lady`s caramel cake, filled with light whipped milk chocolate ganache and a recipe I found online for caramel Italian merinque buttercream ( very similar to Rose`s mousseline - which is an Italian meringue buttercream

And I will be tweeding the cake with unsweetened chocolate.  Love that idea.

Posted: 26 October 2013 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks again Anne. smile

Posted: 31 October 2013 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2011-05-15

Hey anne in NC , =) Your carmel cake has tempted me into making it for my husband bday coming up next week =) I have tried the karmel cake and i did like it however i had so many issues with the carmel curdling on me . i think i may have tried making it at least 6 times !!! Anyhow ! Just had a few questions about the recipe you posted. Two sticks of butter = 226 grams right? Our measurements over here are a little different than over in US. =) Also could you tell me what the crumb is like? Is it like any of roses butter cakes , or is it more on the pound cake side ? I noticed there are quite a few eggs as well . Also if it is on the denser side do u reckon making a sub with cake flour instead of all purpose would help ?  or should i just stop thinking so much and just go try it lol !!! =)

Posted: 01 November 2013 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Thank you anne in NC ! =) loved that you addressed every concern =) I was thinking of pairing just the cake with a praline buttercream. and frosting it outside with some milk chocolate ganache =) Sound good?  While researching further on the brown sugar cake i came across this recipe on cake central. It uses a larger amount of brown sugar and also uses roses mixing method. =)

3 cups (10.5 oz) cake flour sifted if measuring by volume
1 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
1 tsp salt
1 cup (8 oz) butter, room temp cut into chunks
1 1/4 cups whole milk divided
2 eggs
6 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla

Mix dry ingredients together in mixer.  Add 1 cup milk and butter.  mix 2 minutes until light and fluffy.  Mix 1/4 cup milk with eggs and vanilla.  Add in 1/3 at a time, mixing until combined, 20 to 30 seconds after each after each.  pour into pans and bake.    3 9” layers.

Posted: 17 December 2013 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Hello Anne in NC , Just wanted to let you know that i tried both these recipes and reporting back with the results =)
The first one i tried was the Cake central recipe. I halved everything to bake it in two 6 inch pans. If you want the measurements i went with i ll be happy to pm you! This recipe however dint work for it but I’m pretty sure it is an error on my part. The butter may have been a bit too cold and also i added the egg whites way too fast as i was in a hurry. silly me . Whatever the reason the car batter curdled horribly and i mean really really bad! I tried sprinkling a little more flour against my instincts but dint work. i ploughed ahead and baked it. it had a funny wrinkly appearance however when it felt soft to touch. when i took it out of the pan i could feel the leaden weight of the bottom and on touch itself i knw something was wrong on the bottom it felt so heavy and rubbery and almost hard? so i sliced it open to find a really fluffy light cake on top and a heavy rubbery kinda layer on the bottom. No idea what has happened. maybe its the curdling , maybe there was too much egg white? Since they haven’t specified how much eggwhite exactly i went with medium eggs.
So i started cracking on your recipe! Made sure everything was room temp this time. Only sub was i used cake flour. Happy to say it turned out very well! The caramel flavour was definitely there and quite yummy with the praline cream. Did find it a little on sweeter side but i think it goes perfectly with the not so sweet praline cream and ganache. so all is good! =) Thank you!  However the crumb of the other cake at least the top part of it was so fluffy soft i can’t help but wonder if thats how it was meant to be all the way through! !!!  Any thoughts on how much egg white i should use for this going by the rest of the ingredient measures?