RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks again Anne. smile

Posted: 31 October 2013 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2011-05-15

Hey anne in NC , =) Your carmel cake has tempted me into making it for my husband bday coming up next week =) I have tried the karmel cake and i did like it however i had so many issues with the carmel curdling on me . i think i may have tried making it at least 6 times !!! Anyhow ! Just had a few questions about the recipe you posted. Two sticks of butter = 226 grams right? Our measurements over here are a little different than over in US. =) Also could you tell me what the crumb is like? Is it like any of roses butter cakes , or is it more on the pound cake side ? I noticed there are quite a few eggs as well . Also if it is on the denser side do u reckon making a sub with cake flour instead of all purpose would help ?  or should i just stop thinking so much and just go try it lol !!! =)

Posted: 31 October 2013 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, choco!

Let’s take this by strategy!!!

Two sticks of butter = 226 grams right?

Here, two sticks of butter is 1/2 pound.  8 oz at 28g/oz is 224, so, yea, 224-226 g is it!

Also could you tell me what the crumb is like? Is it like any of roses butter cakes , or is it more on the pound cake side ?

I am so lame.  I cannot.  I can tell you this:  The cake took longer than expected to cook (as they often do in my oven), so I was completely paranoid that it would be dry.  However, it was moist and delicious.  So, that’s the best I can tell you about the crumb.  The problem is, the visual of an overcooked, dry cake was so strong and persistent, that it is stuck in my mind greater than the actual cake, which didn’t have teh benefit of burning itself into my psyche like the hypothetical overcooked cake did, if you know what I mean.  Sad, but true.  I only ate and enjoyed it—and enjoyed other people enjoying it! 

Also if it is on the denser side do u reckon making a sub with cake flour instead of all purpose would help ?

To my mind, AP flour can give a “denser” perception, but it also gives a “moister” perception.  I like AP, myself—and I prefer unbleached, too.

or should i just stop thinking so much and just go try it lol !!! =)

I would.  The only thing I did was tweed it, because I was concerned that I might find the cake too sweet since becomming accustomed to Rose’s cakes.  That said, it might have been perfectly find.  The first time I made it, I made it “as written”—the whole cake—except that I doubt I put that much powdered sugar in the frosting.  It was described as a “very sweet, very yummy” cake, so that “very sweet” stuck in my mind.  However, I’m sure a lot of that was due to the caramel topping that goes on the top of the layers in addition to the frosting.

If you make it, I hope you will report back and say if you liked it or not!  If he likes pumpkin cake, that pumpkin cake I linked too is amazing.  I posted a couple pics of it here.  I did my own frosting, though, as I am rather wont to do.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Happy day!

—ak

Image Attachments
Cut_Cake_(small).JPGSlice_(small).JPG

Posted: 01 November 2013 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Thank you anne in NC ! =) loved that you addressed every concern =) I was thinking of pairing just the cake with a praline buttercream. and frosting it outside with some milk chocolate ganache =) Sound good?  While researching further on the brown sugar cake i came across this recipe on cake central. It uses a larger amount of brown sugar and also uses roses mixing method. =)

3 cups (10.5 oz) cake flour sifted if measuring by volume
1 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
1 tsp salt
1 cup (8 oz) butter, room temp cut into chunks
1 1/4 cups whole milk divided
2 eggs
6 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla

Mix dry ingredients together in mixer.  Add 1 cup milk and butter.  mix 2 minutes until light and fluffy.  Mix 1/4 cup milk with eggs and vanilla.  Add in 1/3 at a time, mixing until combined, 20 to 30 seconds after each after each.  pour into pans and bake.    3 9” layers.

Posted: 01 November 2013 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Choco!!!

I was thinking of pairing just the cake with a praline buttercream. and frosting it outside with some milk chocolate ganache =) Sound good?

Uh, yeah.  Really effing good!

While researching further on the brown sugar cake i came across this recipe on cake central. It uses a larger amount of brown sugar and also uses roses mixing method. =)

3 cups (10.5 oz) cake flour sifted if measuring by volume
1 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
1 tsp salt
1 cup (8 oz) butter, room temp cut into chunks
1 1/4 cups whole milk divided
2 eggs
6 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla

Mix dry ingredients together in mixer.  Add 1 cup milk and butter.  mix 2 minutes until light and fluffy.  Mix 1/4 cup milk with eggs and vanilla.  Add in 1/3 at a time, mixing until combined, 20 to 30 seconds after each after each.  pour into pans and bake.  3 9” layers.

That is a very different recipe, indeed!  Less sugar, on the whole, since there is a bit more flour.  Lots of whites, with only a couple of yolks.  Milk rather than sour cream.  Fara more BP and no BS.  If you make it, report back!!!  I do love me a brown sugar cake—or anything with brown sugar, for that matter!

Thank you!

—ak

Posted: 17 December 2013 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Hello Anne in NC , Just wanted to let you know that i tried both these recipes and reporting back with the results =)
The first one i tried was the Cake central recipe. I halved everything to bake it in two 6 inch pans. If you want the measurements i went with i ll be happy to pm you! This recipe however dint work for it but I’m pretty sure it is an error on my part. The butter may have been a bit too cold and also i added the egg whites way too fast as i was in a hurry. silly me . Whatever the reason the car batter curdled horribly and i mean really really bad! I tried sprinkling a little more flour against my instincts but dint work. i ploughed ahead and baked it. it had a funny wrinkly appearance however when it felt soft to touch. when i took it out of the pan i could feel the leaden weight of the bottom and on touch itself i knw something was wrong on the bottom it felt so heavy and rubbery and almost hard? so i sliced it open to find a really fluffy light cake on top and a heavy rubbery kinda layer on the bottom. No idea what has happened. maybe its the curdling , maybe there was too much egg white? Since they haven’t specified how much eggwhite exactly i went with medium eggs.
So i started cracking on your recipe! Made sure everything was room temp this time. Only sub was i used cake flour. Happy to say it turned out very well! The caramel flavour was definitely there and quite yummy with the praline cream. Did find it a little on sweeter side but i think it goes perfectly with the not so sweet praline cream and ganache. so all is good! =) Thank you!  However the crumb of the other cake at least the top part of it was so fluffy soft i can’t help but wonder if thats how it was meant to be all the way through! !!!  Any thoughts on how much egg white i should use for this going by the rest of the ingredient measures?

2 of 2