Need a “third item”
Posted: 25 October 2013 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

So, for Christmas gifts, I am making the following;

> Turtles, but using (salted?) coffee-caramel and hazelnuts and dipping in dark chocolate.
> Bourbon balls made with homemade Nilla wafer-type cookies.

I need a third item that will go well with them.  Here are my current candidates:

> Sponge candy dipped in milk.  Possibly salted, possibly salted and curried, possibly cardamon.
> Homemade cheese straws.  Possibly curried?  (Can you tell I love curry?)  But I’m thinking it’s too cookie-cookie.  At the same time, cheese should go well with chocolate & booze.
> Spicy nuts.  Sweet spicy?  Any drop-dead fabulous ones you’ve tried (but not strictly sweet ones)?
> Homemade prettzle nuggets—seasoned?
> Pine nut toffee—again spiced??
> Any other ideas?????

Thanks!!!!!

—ak

Posted: 25 October 2013 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  2009-11-24

I like the idea of the pretzel nuggets or the spicy nuts.  go with the nuts since it does not involve flour. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 25 October 2013 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

go with the nuts since it does not involve flour.

Oh, interesting perspective!  I like that!  I’ll keep that in mind in the “pro” column for nuts!  Strong candidate now!  Thank you!

Posted: 25 October 2013 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2008-09-27
Anne in NC - 25 October 2013 01:53 PM

I need a third item that will go well with them.

Cash is always popular and goes with anything.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 October 2013 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Cash is always popular and goes with anything.

Awesome!  I agree.  It even goes perfectly with any print or pattern!

Posted: 31 October 2013 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-10-31

I really like chocolates and i’m also try something to do.

Posted: 31 October 2013 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2011-06-02

I second the nuts too. Not sure what pretzel nuggets are, but I think it’s always good to have something savoury for people that don’t eat/like sweets. So cheese straws are probably good as well.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 01 November 2013 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Okay.  I agree with everyone.  Nuts are the best idea.  But I am making making the sponge candy—the very item I planned to replace—instead.  I am salting it, as a nod to savory.  Why?  Because I’m dying to make it.  A pathetic but honest reason.  So, with full realization of the superiority of the nuts, sponge candy it is ... unless I change my mind (lots of time between now and Christmas).  I’m getting the Liddabit candy book out of the library today, so anything could happen!

Posted: 03 November 2013 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2013-06-12

I vote for toffee

Posted: 17 November 2013 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-11-07

I know you’ve already chosen what the third item will be but maybe you’d like to try this Coffee Rum Cookies Recipe just for fun. I found it at a store called Daily Cuppa Coffee, http://www.dailycuppacoffee.com/coffee-recipes-ice-cream-cakes/cakes-pastries/coffee-rum-cookies-recipe if not for this Christmas, maybe for the next!

Posted: 21 November 2013 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I vote for toffee

Toffee is my personal favorite, too.  Preferably, with macadamia nuts.  No chocolate even required!  However, sponge candy and toffee will be too similar, I think.  Man, do I love toffee though.  It’s actually hard to resist making it, it’s so good.

I know you’ve already chosen what the third item will be but maybe you’d like to try this Coffee Rum Cookies Recipe just for fun. I found it at a store called Daily Cuppa Coffee, http://www.dailycuppacoffee.com/coffee-recipes-ice-cream-cakes/cakes-pastries/coffee-rum-cookies-recipe if not for this Christmas, maybe for the next!

Thank you for posting this link!  I love the idea of this recipe, but, boy, how about those ingredients?  Margerine, shortening and rum extract (rather than rum).  I love the concept though, and I’ll have to look around for other versions of it.  It sounds fabulous.

Posted: 06 February 2014 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-02-06

A bunch of nutty chocolate toffees, rapped in coco paper.. Simply awesome for keenly fans of rich Chocolates..

Signature 

Ronald