3 of 3
Preheating
Posted: 30 October 2013 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 30 October 2013 05:23 PM

Do you think that was the issue? That’s going to be harder to fix than getting a new pan

Nope. It would be interesting to try the half recipe again. If you get a new pan and you mix more thoroughly, the cake might turn out fine and you’ll always be thinking it was the pan.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 30 October 2013 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 30 October 2013 05:41 PM

Do you think that was the issue? That’s going to be harder to fix than getting a new pan

Nope. It would be interesting to try the half recipe again. If you get a new pan and you mix more thoroughly, the cake might turn out fine and you’ll always be thinking it was the pan.

You’re right! I made this recipe once before and wrote to Chef Bo and told him how perfect it was. That’s why I wanted to make it again.

I can bake the whole recipe again and use the new pan and the GT pan for comparison.

Posted: 30 October 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 30 October 2013 05:54 PM

You’re right! I made this recipe once before and wrote to Chef Bo and told him how perfect it was. That’s why I wanted to make it again.

I can bake the whole recipe again and use the new pan and the GT pan for comparison.

Brilliant!

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 30 October 2013 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 30 October 2013 06:19 PM
Flour Girl - 30 October 2013 05:54 PM

Brilliant!

cheese

Posted: 18 November 2013 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I finally baked my comparison loaves yesterday. I used Williams Somona Gold Touch 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan v Bundy’s Chicago Metallic 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan.

The Chicago Metallic pans are unglazed aluminized steel. Williams Somona’s Gold Touch is golden glazed aluminized steel. Williams Sonoma’s pan weighs 109g more than the CM.

I baked Chef Bo Frieberg’s Vanilla Pound Cake. After 30 minutes I noticed both loaves beginning to over-brown. I tented them and continued baking another 27 minutes.

Taking into account the 109g difference in pan weight, each pan had the exact gram weight of batter.

Pictures below show the results.

The cake in the CM pan rose beyond the rim and developed a wing. The WS cake did not rise but initially had a rounded mound. Browning by the pan’s rim occurred on both pans but not to the extent of the first loaves I baked. I assume the tenting helped in this regard.

If you look at the picture of the side views, the CM cake had a beautiful golden color. The WS side of cake was definitely darker and somewhat mottled.

I cut the CM cake. The crumb is very nice. The cake is moist and really, really good. I didn’t cut the WS cake yet.

The last time I made this cake, I used the WS pan and the household version of CM’s professional line pan (not from Bundy), which is very dark in color.  The Cake in that CM pan was very dry. The cake in the WS pan was not as dry.

I’m not giving up.

Two things I did not do according to the recipe is line the pan’s sides with parchment nor did I grease with butter. I used a spray because I feel butter has more tendency to burn. I will line the entire pan next time and use heating core nails. I didn’t use it this time because I wanted to keep the experiment as consistent with the first attempt as possible.

Image Attachments
php0u4TwWAM.jpgphpjzMfmKAM.jpgphpb4BnMrAM.jpgphpEHQhGYAM.jpg

Posted: 18 November 2013 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2007-11-18

FLOUR GIRL:
  Good afternoon. I am sorry to see you are not satisfied with your current bake. I feel this way because I gave you a fix. I still will maintain
that if you wish a baked viable product…JUST DO MY FIX as stated.  (You have to much sugar in this recipe)

Good luck to you my friend.
  ~FRESHKID.grin

Posted: 18 November 2013 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hello ~FRESHKID,

You are absolutely correct about that. The only thing is, I have made this before with perfect results. This issue is only recent.  I have never altered the recipe.

I just realized, my success with this recipe occurred when I halved the recipe. Perhaps that is it!!! Perhaps the quantity of sugar and butter are too much for my mixer to cream properly. I did hear slurping sounds when I was creaming. It never actually reaches the fluffiness I get with Rose’s recipes. However, the crumb is excellent.

Have a wonderful day my friend.

Posted: 18 November 2013 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 18 November 2013 04:57 PM

I just realized, my success with this recipe occurred when I halved the recipe. Perhaps that is it!!!

It could be that two pans alters the heat distribution in the oven. Cooking them one at a time would be an interesting experiment.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 18 November 2013 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 18 November 2013 06:46 PM
Flour Girl - 18 November 2013 04:57 PM

I just realized, my success with this recipe occurred when I halved the recipe. Perhaps that is it!!!

It could be that two pans alters the heat distribution in the oven. Cooking them one at a time would be an interesting experiment.

I’ll do that next time Charles. I have to get this right for a gift in 2 weeks.

I think the ingredients filled the mixing bowl too much.

Thank you.

3 of 3