Best Chocolate for Ganache
Posted: 26 October 2013 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Hi Everyone!
  I am just getting into ganache for covering cakes (both with and without fondant).
I have been reading that chocolate >52% cocoa.  Does anyone have a favorite brand of Chocolate they use for ganache?
I have also been reading it is 2 parts chocolate to 1 part heavy cream.

Thanks

Posted: 26 October 2013 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-18
littlelottie - 26 October 2013 08:54 AM

Hi Everyone!
  I am just getting into ganache for covering cakes (both with and without fondant).
I have been reading that chocolate >52% cocoa.  Does anyone have a favorite brand of Chocolate they use for ganache?
I have also been reading it is 2 parts chocolate to 1 part heavy cream.

Thanks

LITTLELOTTIE:
Good morning. I do not have a favorite brand to mention. To me chocolate is chocolate as long it is of proper cocoa strength.
52% is very good. I must mention to you that the beginning point in GANACHE is equal amounts of choco & heavy cream. That doesn’t mean you should not veer from that amount, you see that depends what you are using it for wheather or not you should veer from that formula. One more thing, you must be very very careful not to get moisture or even a drop of water into this concoction if you do it will seize. It can be saved,,,,however I do not think it is worth the effort to do so. Just be very careful. Steam will do the same thing so be aware in doing this recipe.

You can blend in corn syrup into this concoction as well. Depending what you need the ganache for.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the weekend.

~FRESHKID

Posted: 26 October 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

52% is good but I typically use 60% probably because of the availability.  Few average consumers, I think, can notice the difference between brands of chocolate.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 26 October 2013 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Littlelottie!

I usually “collect” chocolate when it’s on sale at my groc—for example, this week, I can get two Green & Black’s bars for .97 each, so I got two and threw them in my freezer.  Last week, it was BOGO on Ghiradhelli.  So, for ganache, I use what I’ve got on hand, and I mix them (both brands and % cocoa), as well.  It’s usually a combination of G&B, Lindt, and Ghiradhelli, but each is good on their own, as well.  As long as your chocolate is “real” chocolate—not “baking bark”—it should be delicious.  If you like the chooclate to eat, it should make a good ganache.

Your proposed ratio of chocolate to cream should make a good ganache for frosting a cake.  You can also add a couple T. of liquor to it, if you want.

Enjoy!

—ak

Posted: 26 October 2013 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, I also sometimes buy 5 lb. bags of Scharffen-Berger 70% chocolate from Amazon—it’s very good!  You can get it in 62%, 70% or unsweetened—it comes to about $10/lb, which is a pretty good price, and you can store it in your freezer forever.

http://www.amazon.com/Scharffen-Berger-Squares-Semisweet-Chocolate/dp/B004N5J6AI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382817196&sr=8-1&keywords=Scharffen+Berger+Petite+Baking+Squares

Posted: 26 October 2013 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Sorry—one more update.  Unsweetened is really economical for ganache, becuase you’re not paying chocolate prices for the sugar.

If your recipe calls for 100g of 60% dark chocolate, then you can use 60g unsweetened chocolate and dissolve 40g of sugar in your cream.  Got that tip from Julie.

So, just FYI.

Posted: 26 October 2013 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thanks for all the advice everyone!  I will let you all know who it turns out…..
I am still reading - and with all your advice - i feel more confident trying ganache

Posted: 26 October 2013 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thanks for the link Anne - I am looking into now!!!

Posted: 27 October 2013 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I like 50=53% chocolate for ganache, Callebaut bulk chocolates have nice, round flavors and are reasonably priced.  I would consider equal weights chocolate and cream to be a minimum of cream.  My favorite ganache is a whipped ganache with double the cream to chocolate smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 28 October 2013 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you, Jullie.  I do not know that I have noticed 50 to 53% Callebaut.  I will have to look out for that….but double cream to chocolate is a good guide I will try next time I make ganache. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 30 October 2013 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Just wanted to add that Alice Medrich recently wrote about cacao percentage and ganache differences. Here’s a link:
http://food52.com/blog/8771-3-tips-for-chocolate-ganache-success

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 04 November 2013 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thanks everyone!
Thanks for the link McBrownie
i will keep you all updated on the ganache situation wink