Midnight Ganache with 70% chocolate?
Posted: 26 October 2013 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2013-10-07

Hi

I have just started making some Midnight Ganache page 102 RHC..

I can only get 70% chocolate but the recipe calls for 60% to 62% so using the conversion chart on page 430..It tells you the amount of extra cream to use.. But i cant work it out?..Any advise will be most helpfull…

The conversion chart says 60%choc used 255g of cream..  But the midnight ganache using 60% choc only uses 145g ? so im confused

Thanks

Rob

Posted: 26 October 2013 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Rob!

I’m on the way out the door, so I can’t look anything up, but the reason the midnight ganache uses so little cream is because it’s using a lot of water, as well, that you mix with the cocoa powder.  So do this: 

Find out how much cream you’d normally use for “regular” ganache with the mount of cocoa required.
Find out how much cream you’d use for the % chocolate you’re using.
Find out what % of the 60%‘s cream your actually using—it’s whatever % 145 is of 225g—something around 75%, but not that exactly.
Then, multiply that times your calculation for the 70% chocolate. 
That’s how much cream to use. 

Remember also: Midnight Ganache can take up to 14 hours to set, so don’t freak out if it doesn’t appear to be setting!!

Good luck!

—ak

Posted: 26 October 2013 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07

Brilliant Thanks for the super fast reply…. its midnight in the uk and i wanted to make the ganache now to leave plenty of time for it to cool over night ....

So i am very happy you replied so fast…Very happy or as we say in yorkshire “i am chuffed to bits!!”

Thanks

Rob

Posted: 26 October 2013 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

My pleasure, Rob!

Midnight Ganache is some of the best stuff going—for sure!

Another way you could have done it is this:

60% dark is 60% cocoa and 40% sugar, right?  So it’s got 60g cocoa and 40g sugar per 100g.
70% dark is 70% cocoa and 30% sugar, so it’s got 70g cocoa and 30g of sugar per 100g.

So, if you need, say, 200g of 60% chocolate for the recipe, you know that that will net you 120g of cocoa and 80g of sugar. 

If you want, instead, to use 70% chocolate, you just need to figure out how many g of 70% chocolate will give you 120g of cocoa.  If there’s 70g cocoa in 100g chocolate, then it takes 170 g 70% dark chocolate to get 120 g cocoa. 

So you would use 170g of 70% chocolate, and dissolve 30g of sugar into your cream.  This gives you your 200g of the equivalen tof 60% chocolate:  120g of chocolate and 80g of sugar (50g of which are in the 70% chocolate, and 30g of which you add to the cream)

Does that make sense?

It’s a good thing to know for ganache, becuase when you buy chocolate, you’re paying a high price for sugar.  So if you’re going to make ganache, you can buy unsweetened chocolate (so you’re paying chocolate prices just for chocolate and not for sugar) and add the sugar yourself to the cream. 

Anyway, happy baking, and please let us know how it turns out!

—ak

Posted: 27 October 2013 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07

Thanks for taking the time to write all that info!..That is very usefull info on how to make your own % Chocolate ..and very well explained..

Well the Ganache was prepared last night and it has set and its pretty thick ..And i have just made the batter for the Devils food cake..

I have not got room in the oven for them to go side by side..and i dont want to bake on different levels ..so i have put 1 of the tins of batter in the fridge while the first one cooks..Hoping the batter wont mind waiting for 30 mins in the fridge

Rose’s instructions were to split the batter in half approx 650g in each tin .. but i only had enough for 600g in each 9x2 tin..??? ..The kitchen is full of a loverly jubberly chocolatey smell yummy

I will post my results shortly..

Thanks

Rob

Posted: 28 October 2013 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hmmm,

I wonder?  Did you cover the cocoa/boiling water mixture?  It can evaporate, although I’m not sure if it would evaporate almost 2 oz. worth. 

Batter in the fridge is fine, as long as it’s in the cooking tin (which you ay it is).  Just don’t want to have wait in the mixing bowl, since leavening is doing its stuff in the “shape” it’s stored in.

FWIW, I always add 1T. extra butter (per layer) to all of Rose’s chocolate cakes.  But that’s just me.

Note that if you find the DFC too tender (crumbly), there’s an alternate mixing method here:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2009/11/devils_food_cake_on_page_99_of.html  Some prefer it; others say it’s too fudgy.  I haven’t tried it, myself.  Personally, I’m not crazy about the DFC.  My favorites are the Chocoalte Fudge Cake and the Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake (both from TCB; however, the PAACBC is in RHC as a bundt cake with marzipan candles, which can be baked in rounds instead).

Looking forward to your end results!

Did you do the (amazing) brandied cherries??

—ak

Posted: 28 October 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07

Having not made many cakes before i have nothing to compare the texture taste etc..But we are very happy with the taste of the cake ..The ganache was excellent

The alternate version of the cake updated on the blog is the same recipe as in the cook book i have so i must have a new version…My girlfriend does not like really dark chocolate but she found this cake delicious..as i did..Well worth the effort…

I have a convection oven (Neff Navigator) so i baked at 160c the cake pulled away from the sides in the oven at 28 mins i didnt think it would be ready that early so it may have overbaked? how can you tell if a cake is over baked?

The next tin was removed from the fridge and baked at 160c ..this time i kept an eye on it and removed it just as it was pulling away from the sides..Time 24 mins..
Both cakes domed very slightly but when cooled were pretty flat..

My cooker is not perfectly level (which i am going to fix! now i have started baking cakes) so the cakes were not level(only slight slope on the cake)...

I have never baked a better looking cake smile.. I dont know if it is roses’s recipe or the cake strips or the parish line tins..either way it’s the best looking cake ever out of the oven…

A few questions

1.How do i know if the cake is over baked
2.The cake seems to have a raised edge? what causes this?
3.Do i have to lower the baking temp lower when using rose’s cake strips..
4.I read on the alternate recipe blog that the cake height was 1 1/2” in the centre 1 1/4”  at the edge..Mine was nearly flat 1 1/4” but i did use Bleached AP flour..is that about right..
5.The cooking time was 24 mins do i need to turn the oven down even more ..what effects does too low temp do?
6.How do i stop big bubbles in the batter? i noticed these when baking

Thanks for the very helpful advise

Rob

Image Attachments
SHRUNK.jpgside.jpgtop.jpgCUT.jpg

Posted: 28 October 2013 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24
Anne in NC - 28 October 2013 01:06 PM

Hmmm,
FWIW, I always add 1T. extra butter (per layer) to all of Rose’s chocolate cakes.  But that’s just me.

—ak

ha!  I never thought of that.  It has been a while since I tried the chocolate cake, I will have to give it a go…with this mod!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 28 October 2013 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24

Congratulations Rob.  If you all felt the cake was delicious then you have done a great job! 

I wish I could answer all of your questions, I am looking forward to what you hear back so then I will know. 

Meanwhile, re: the cake pulled away from the tin:  the first photo suggests overbaked.  Overbaked makes a drier cake. 

I am curious as to why you were a whole 2 oz. short on the batter.  How did you weigh? Like pans are not always the same weight you cannot assume they are the same.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 29 October 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Rob!

Congratulations!  Your cake looks really good!

The alternate version of the cake updated on the blog is the same recipe as in the cook book i have so i must have a new version…My girlfriend does not like really dark chocolate but she found this cake delicious..as i did..Well worth the effort…

The only change to the cake is the mixing method, not the ingredients.  That said, I’m not sure if new editions of the book have, possibly, updated to this mixing method.

1.How do i know if the cake is over baked

If the cake has pulled away from the sides of the pan to the extent shown in your picture before removal from the oven, it’s overbaked. However, the cake will generally pull away from the sides of the pan after removal from the oven.  However, if the cake has a taste and texture that pleases you, rules be damned.  I generally start looking at my cake about 10 minute before it’s supposed to be done.  First, I look for a dry top.  Then, once the top is dry, I touch it.  If my fingerprint remains, I give it 3 minutes.  I repeat until no more fingerprint.  If it starts to pull away, fingerprint takes precedence, but I’m VERY cautious.  Once fingerprint goes away (i.e., cake bounces bak), I use a toothpick.  Unless it’s started to pull away, then I take it out and do the toothpick.

2.The cake seems to have a raised edge? what causes this?

I don’t know.  I’ll be CharlesT or Julie will know, though.

3.Do i have to lower the baking temp lower when using rose’s cake strips..

Although I don’t use these, my guess is no, becuase they already increase the time it takes for the circumverence of the cake to heat and cook (so it balances more with the inside).  That said, I don’t use them.  I used to make my own with foil and damp paper towels, but my results were (obviously) too inconsistent.  Now, I prepare my pans the night before and pop them in the fridge and bake in cold pans.  I think you could prepare them before baking and freeze them, also, but I haven’t done this.

4.I read on the alternate recipe blog that the cake height was 1 1/2” in the centre 1 1/4”  at the edge..Mine was nearly flat 1 1/4” but i did use Bleached AP flour..is that about right..

I would consider that more than fine.  Others may have more info.  When I used strips (homemade), my cakes were always shorter than they should have been.  Now, with cold pans, I get a good height.

5.The cooking time was 24 mins do i need to turn the oven down even more ..what effects does too low temp do?

I don’t recall the actual baking time of the recipe, so I’m not sure how this compares . That said, if your cakes are cooking too fast, you might want to drop the temp 10 degrees.  You said you’re using a convection oven.  Rose says to lower 25 degrees (F) if you are using a convection oven.  You might have already done this—I didn’t notice.

6.How do i stop big bubbles in the batter? i noticed these when baking

I sometimes (when I think about it), after filling my pans, drop them from about 2-3 inches above the counter.  Are you actually saying you have big holes in the batter itself (as opposed to the baked cake)?  If so, that should help.  If the holes are in the baked cake, it might be a mixing problem.  Someone else will know if it’s over- or under-mixing.  I always get them confused!

The ganache was excellent

Midnight Ganache is one of the best things in the world.  I mean, there’s really nothing like it.  Although I have a friend who likes the caramel ganache even better—I haven’t tried it, but I will have to one of these days.

My girlfriend ... found this cake delicious

Keep this up and she will not be returning you to store anytime soon.

What’s next????

—ak

Posted: 29 October 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07

Wow once again loads of help smile this is the most helpful forum i have joined ..taking all the time to write down the answers is much appreciated…

You mention the 1 T extra butter what does that do to the cake?..

Also the baking time was 30 to 40 mins in the book.. but my oven took 24 mins…Should i lower the temp even further? to extend baking time..Baking temp in book 175c i lowered it to 160 c

I weighed the pans and there was 3 grams difference between each tin…

I did bang the pans on the counter top to knock out the air bubbles ...but the batter was pretty thick i made a Karmel cake and that had air bubbles as well so my technique must be poor

This is the first cake i baked from RHC Karmal cake the cake turned out nice but we both found that the cake did not have enough caramel taste ..you can see the bubbles on the surface of the cake..

My girlfriend read your comments on the caramel ganache so that will have to be the next cake i bake..

Thanks

Rob

Image Attachments
karmel_cake.jpgKarmel_Cake.jpg

Posted: 29 October 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Rob!

I have learned a lot here, myself!!! 

Your cakes, to me, are coming out beautifully.  They look like they have a perfect height and beautiful crumb. 

Meanwhile, I have a bunch of non-answers for you.

you can see the bubbles on the surface of the cake..

I think it’s a problem if the bubbles are IN your cake, but not necessarily on top.  I get those bubbles on the top of my cakes, too, but I don’t sweat them, especially as I frost everything.  That said, maybe they shouldn’t be there—hopefully, someone else will know for sure.

You mention the 1 T extra butter what does that do to the cake?..

I don’t know.  Sadly, I did it once by accident, and I really liked the cake, so I’ve always done it since then, and they’ve always had a wonderful texture and moistness.  I think it’s almost a superstition by now with me.

I weighed the pans and there was 3 grams difference between each tin…

Did you cover the boiling water/cocoa well so no liquid evaporated?  Did you weigh the water AFTER bringing to a boil, rather than before?  This could account for the 2 oz. difference per pan, maybe.

This is the first cake i baked from RHC Karmal cake the cake turned out nice but we both found that the cake did not have enough caramel taste

I agree.  I also found this cake a bit dry.  There’s only about 3 of Rose’s cakes that I’ve made that I’m not crazy about, and this is one of them, which is too bad, because I’m a caramel maniac.

Also the baking time was 30 to 40 mins in the book.. but my oven took 24 mins…Should i lower the temp even further? to extend baking time..Baking temp in book 175c i lowered it to 160 c

I don’t know.  Maybe so.  My oven tends the other way—I have to turn it up.  I have no experience with convection or too-fast cooking.  Your cakes don’t look like they suffer from high heat (you don’t have extra high doming or overcooked sides & bottom), but someone else might know more about this.

My girlfriend read your comments on the caramel ganache so that will have to be the next cake i bake..

Looking forward to hearing your results and opinions!

—ak