Midnight Ganache with 70% chocolate?
Posted: 26 October 2013 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-10-07

Hi

I have just started making some Midnight Ganache page 102 RHC..

I can only get 70% chocolate but the recipe calls for 60% to 62% so using the conversion chart on page 430..It tells you the amount of extra cream to use.. But i cant work it out?..Any advise will be most helpfull…

The conversion chart says 60%choc used 255g of cream..  But the midnight ganache using 60% choc only uses 145g ? so im confused

Thanks

Rob

Posted: 26 October 2013 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07

Brilliant Thanks for the super fast reply…. its midnight in the uk and i wanted to make the ganache now to leave plenty of time for it to cool over night ....

So i am very happy you replied so fast…Very happy or as we say in yorkshire “i am chuffed to bits!!”

Thanks

Rob

Posted: 27 October 2013 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07

Thanks for taking the time to write all that info!..That is very usefull info on how to make your own % Chocolate ..and very well explained..

Well the Ganache was prepared last night and it has set and its pretty thick ..And i have just made the batter for the Devils food cake..

I have not got room in the oven for them to go side by side..and i dont want to bake on different levels ..so i have put 1 of the tins of batter in the fridge while the first one cooks..Hoping the batter wont mind waiting for 30 mins in the fridge

Rose’s instructions were to split the batter in half approx 650g in each tin .. but i only had enough for 600g in each 9x2 tin..??? ..The kitchen is full of a loverly jubberly chocolatey smell yummy

I will post my results shortly..

Thanks

Rob

Posted: 28 October 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07

Having not made many cakes before i have nothing to compare the texture taste etc..But we are very happy with the taste of the cake ..The ganache was excellent

The alternate version of the cake updated on the blog is the same recipe as in the cook book i have so i must have a new version…My girlfriend does not like really dark chocolate but she found this cake delicious..as i did..Well worth the effort…

I have a convection oven (Neff Navigator) so i baked at 160c the cake pulled away from the sides in the oven at 28 mins i didnt think it would be ready that early so it may have overbaked? how can you tell if a cake is over baked?

The next tin was removed from the fridge and baked at 160c ..this time i kept an eye on it and removed it just as it was pulling away from the sides..Time 24 mins..
Both cakes domed very slightly but when cooled were pretty flat..

My cooker is not perfectly level (which i am going to fix! now i have started baking cakes) so the cakes were not level(only slight slope on the cake)...

I have never baked a better looking cake smile.. I dont know if it is roses’s recipe or the cake strips or the parish line tins..either way it’s the best looking cake ever out of the oven…

A few questions

1.How do i know if the cake is over baked
2.The cake seems to have a raised edge? what causes this?
3.Do i have to lower the baking temp lower when using rose’s cake strips..
4.I read on the alternate recipe blog that the cake height was 1 1/2” in the centre 1 1/4”  at the edge..Mine was nearly flat 1 1/4” but i did use Bleached AP flour..is that about right..
5.The cooking time was 24 mins do i need to turn the oven down even more ..what effects does too low temp do?
6.How do i stop big bubbles in the batter? i noticed these when baking

Thanks for the very helpful advise

Rob

Image Attachments
SHRUNK.jpgside.jpgtop.jpgCUT.jpg

Posted: 28 October 2013 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  2009-11-24
Anne in NC - 28 October 2013 01:06 PM

Hmmm,
FWIW, I always add 1T. extra butter (per layer) to all of Rose’s chocolate cakes.  But that’s just me.

—ak

ha!  I never thought of that.  It has been a while since I tried the chocolate cake, I will have to give it a go…with this mod!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 28 October 2013 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  2009-11-24

Congratulations Rob.  If you all felt the cake was delicious then you have done a great job! 

I wish I could answer all of your questions, I am looking forward to what you hear back so then I will know. 

Meanwhile, re: the cake pulled away from the tin:  the first photo suggests overbaked.  Overbaked makes a drier cake. 

I am curious as to why you were a whole 2 oz. short on the batter.  How did you weigh? Like pans are not always the same weight you cannot assume they are the same.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 29 October 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07

Wow once again loads of help smile this is the most helpful forum i have joined ..taking all the time to write down the answers is much appreciated…

You mention the 1 T extra butter what does that do to the cake?..

Also the baking time was 30 to 40 mins in the book.. but my oven took 24 mins…Should i lower the temp even further? to extend baking time..Baking temp in book 175c i lowered it to 160 c

I weighed the pans and there was 3 grams difference between each tin…

I did bang the pans on the counter top to knock out the air bubbles ...but the batter was pretty thick i made a Karmel cake and that had air bubbles as well so my technique must be poor

This is the first cake i baked from RHC Karmal cake the cake turned out nice but we both found that the cake did not have enough caramel taste ..you can see the bubbles on the surface of the cake..

My girlfriend read your comments on the caramel ganache so that will have to be the next cake i bake..

Thanks

Rob

Image Attachments
karmel_cake.jpgKarmel_Cake.jpg