Sour Cream Chocolate Layer Cake with Dutch Processed Cocoa
Posted: 28 October 2013 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

I’m looking for recipe suggestions for a good Sour Cream Chocolate Layer Cake that uses Dutched Cocoa.  Strangely, I don’t have access to many natural cocoas and I really like the Cook’s Illustrated Bundt Sour Cream Chocolate Cake—but it uses natural cocoa and is designed for a bundt pan—but I’d consider reworking it for a layer pan, but I don’t have the right cocoa, I’m planning to scale it to 10” and a 6” x 2” high layer pans—so I’d be changing several variables at once.  I’ve considered most of Rose’s recipes and none are what I want for this cake… would greatly appreciate any suggestions on this one smile

Posted: 29 October 2013 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18
Sherrie - 28 October 2013 11:30 PM

I’m looking for recipe suggestions for a good Sour Cream Chocolate Layer Cake that uses Dutched Cocoa.  Strangely, I don’t have access to many natural cocoas and I really like the Cook’s Illustrated Bundt Sour Cream Chocolate Cake—but it uses natural cocoa and is designed for a bundt pan—but I’d consider reworking it for a layer pan, but I don’t have the right cocoa, I’m planning to scale it to 10” and a 6” x 2” high layer pans—so I’d be changing several variables at once.  I’ve considered most of Rose’s recipes and none are what I want for this cake… would greatly appreciate any suggestions on this one smile

SHERRIE:
  Good morning. I do not have rhat recipe from CI. But Sherrie, you can employ that recipe using DUTCHED COCOA. all that is required to do is remove a portion of the baking soda. We still need some to neutrilize the acidity of the sour cream.rolleyes

Sherrie. post the recipe….I can figure out how much batter is required for your 10, in & 6, in pans. I can adjust the leaveners as well.

Till then enjoy the rest of the day.grin

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 29 October 2013 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

The Domingo has sour cream and dutched cocoa, would that work?  I think Hector has posted his formula for scaling up to larger pan sizes over the on the blog smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 29 October 2013 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

@Freshkid:  Thank you for your offer to adjust….I was trying to avoid reworking the recipe and hoping someone had a different recipe suggestion!! I have no problem determining the batter quantities needed…the question to me is the leavening…will a bundt cake collapse in a 10” round pan…that is my primary concern.  I will PM the recipe as it’s not published online.

@Julie:  I’ve considered the Domingo but I plan to pair with ganache and it’s not the right fit…seriously considered it…now if I was making the Silk Meringue Chocolate Praline Buttercream, I’d be using Domingo. 

Posted: 29 October 2013 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Sherrie - 29 October 2013 10:52 AM

@Freshkid:  Thank you for your offer to adjust….I was trying to avoid reworking the recipe and hoping someone had a different recipe suggestion!! I have no problem determining the batter quantities needed…the question to me is the leavening…will a bundt cake collapse in a 10” round pan…that is my primary concern.  I will PM the recipe as it’s not published online.

@Julie:  I’ve considered the Domingo but I plan to pair with ganache and it’s not the right fit…seriously considered it…now if I was making the Silk Meringue Chocolate Praline Buttercream, I’d be using Domingo.

SHERRIE:
Hello again. I just now finished reading your PM. I was also going to post to you what does PM mean. I found a copy of this recipe in my files. Anyway Sherrie I hope you do not mind that I am getting back to you by posting it this way. You see, I am sorry to say I am computer illiterate & I get confused with words I do not understand.cool hmm

Now then Sherrie first off there is a good reason why this recipe is baked in a bundt pan. Why???? because this recipe is a “HI~RATIO CAKE FORMULA”...out of balance from the norm.
What is that???? it is when the weight of the sugar exceeds the weight of the flour in this case you can add the 2.25, oz of cocoa to the 8,3/4, oz of flour. This equals 11.oz of flour. The sugar amount which you omitted in the recipe to me is 14, oz.  That is almost 30% more sugar than flour. You see Sherrie in a bundt pan they are known for baking successfully out of balance recipes such as hi~ratio types. In this type the fat that is employed is known as “EMULSIFIED SHORTNING” You do not have this ingredient in your pantry. The bundt pan has 4, sides to it hence the sugar gets enough heat to melt the sugar in the allotted time frame.

Now then Sherrie if you bake this recipe in a 10, in & a 6, in round cake pan you will need to make an adjustment to the recipe. Just reduce the sugar by 4, oz & you can add 2,oz of honey during the creaming stage.

Sherrie, the 10, pan to fill it 2/3rds full to allow for the leavener rise requires 7.5, cups of batter. The 6,in pan requires 2.5, cups of batter,Soooo, we need 9, cups of batter. The recipe total is exactly 60, oz of batter so you need to multiply each ingredient by 20% (120%)  the eggs come out even use 6, eggs. The leavener is sufficent because soda is 4X the power of powder. enough to leaven 11, oz of flour which equates to 2,3/4, cups. No need to reduce the soda because of the subst of cocoa because honey is acidic.

Sherrie, I am now finished. I hope I have given you enough information so that you can make the right decision for yourself
I am sure you will do just fine.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.kiss

Posted: 29 October 2013 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Freshkid,
Thanks for the detailed response.  My apologies about the omitted sugar….busy morning with the kids :S

I do have some hi-ratio shortening in the pantry for another project, but I do not care for shortening in cakes…butter is always better (for flavour…sadly not always texture).  I may do a test cake on the weekend.  Do you forsee any issue with the cake sinking (it uses unbleached ap flour)?  This was one of my concerns moving it from a bundt to a layer cake pan.

Posted: 29 October 2013 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Sherrie - 29 October 2013 03:01 PM

Hi Freshkid,
Thanks for the detailed response.  My apologies about the omitted sugar….busy morning with the kids :S

I do have some hi-ratio shortening in the pantry for another project, but I do not care for shortening in cakes…butter is always better (for flavour…sadly not always texture).  I may do a test cake on the weekend.  Do you forsee any issue with the cake sinking (it uses unbleached ap flour)?  This was one of my concerns moving it from a bundt to a layer cake pan.

SHERRIE:
Hello again. No, Sherrie I do not see any major concerns on employing UNBLD AP flour. What causes the cake’s sinking top most often is the excessive amount of the leaveners & or the incorrect leaveners.

Yes !!! let us know of the successfull outcome of your test run soon.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 04 November 2013 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-11-04

This information provided by you is very constructive for correct planning. I like your work for providing information to the other.

Posted: 04 November 2013 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

I agree, thanks ~FRESHKID for such informative posts!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 07 November 2013 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

To update…I didn’t have much time or additional ingredients to practice…I did one 9” by 2” high round layer cake scaled down from the original recipe with no modifications other than using Dutch Processed Cocoa.  The cake had a significant dip in the centre.  I did end up locating some natural cocoa so I revised the CI Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake.  After reading some other recipes and noting the UBAP flour can cause dips I decided to modify in the following ways.  Here’s what I did:

Made the recipe as written except for:
Reduced espresso powder to 3/4 tsp. because I like it that way.
Replaced UBAP flour with BAP
Reduced Sugar to 12 oz. 
Reduced BSoda to 3/4 tsp.
Made in 10” by 2” high round pan with a flour nail in the centre—and magic cake strip used , a 6” x 2” pan no strips, and a wee mini bundt for the leftover.  I used 1130 g for the 10” pan, 392g for the 6” pan, and remainder in mini bundt. 

The cakes baked up level—the 10” has the tiniest dip.  The 6” is completely level upon cooling.  I don’t think either will need to be trimmed smile  Thanks ~FRESHKID for your advice.  Tried the mini bundt and texture and taste are good.  I will have to see at the event if there are major changes/problems with the texture as I won’t be able to check and see before serving!!  Thank goodness it’s mostly family.

Posted: 08 November 2013 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

SHERRIE:
  Good morning my friend. I am very happy to learn of your baking success.excaim

Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.grin