1 of 2
Soft Ganache Filling for Cupcakes
Posted: 29 October 2013 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2011-04-30

I am making 60 ganache filled white velvet cupcakes. I am unable to keep a nice, soft, loose ganache filling because as the cupcakes cools, it turns into a truffle. I want it to be of chocolate pudding consistency. Does anyone have a ae a good ganache recipe to fill cupcakes? In my research, some either increase the cream to chocolate ration or add corn syrup. But without exact proportions, I don’t want a hit and miss with chocolate since it is an expensive ingredient.
Thanks.

Posted: 29 October 2013 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Jack!

Are you wanting to bake the cupcake with the ganache filling in there? Or do you plan to cool the cupcake, remove a “plug,” fill it with ganache and return the top portion of the “plug” to the cupcake?

If you plan to fill after cooling, the following should work:

1:1 (cream:chocolate) ganache is good for making firm, but smooth, truffle centers—which appears to be what you DON’T want.
2:1 (cream:chocolate) ganache is soft and spreadable and is good for frosting cakes, so that would more pudding-like. 

—ak

Posted: 29 October 2013 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

Thank you for the tip. I want a soft ganache center’ so I will try to use the second ratio. I am coring the cupcake and piping ganache in the center before frosting it. I guess if I really want it pudding like, the key is to add more cream. Will adding the corn syrup help at all? A blogger suggested adding corn syrup instead of butter that will prevent it from firming up. I am afraid that if I replace it with chocolate pudding, the cupcake may not hold up much or begin to ooze out. Thoughts?

Posted: 30 October 2013 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, JA!

The 2:1 won’t become firm unless you refrigerate or freeze it.  However, it will set.  In other words, when you mix it to begin with, it will have “x” consistency.  You will need to let it sit for a few hours to set and achieve its final consistency.  This final consistency will be firmer than “x,” but it will be very soft and spreadable—perhaps more like soft frosting or soft butter than pudding—but not at all firm.

I don’t have any personal experience with corn syrup, but if you decide to use it, depending upon how much you add, I would consider using a darker chocolate than you orignally planned, becuause it will add sweetness.

I hope that helps!  Remember—make the ganache a few hours ahead of time!

—ak

Posted: 30 October 2013 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

Thanks, Anne. I will post results of my research and using the tips you gave me.

Posted: 30 October 2013 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m a little worried that the 2:1 ganache may be too liquid for your purposes.  Often that ratio is used for a whipped ganache because it is too soft for frosting (unless you are using a very high % chocolate).  Perhaps consider making up a small amount and letting it set at the temperature that you would like to serve your cupcakes.  Or you could check RHC, I believe there is a ganache center recipe as part of Rose’s lava cakes.  I suspect that the correct ratio will be something like 1.2 to 1. 

Not sure from your description if you are filling the baked, cooled cupcakes with ganache or trying to bake it into the batter, the first option is probably easier.  And chocolate pastry cream would be fine if you are filling baked cupcakes.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 30 October 2013 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Julie knows more about this stuff than I do, so go with her thoughts before mine!

Pastry cream is a great idea—it would be VERY pudding-like!

Posted: 30 October 2013 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

Thanks, Julie
I am planning to core the cupcakes and filling it with ganache. I just want a recipe where the ganache will be soft like soft butter at room temperature and not firm like a truffle. If the nature of ganache is to firm up when cold, will adding more cream solve the problem? If there is not way of going around this, I may have to just use chocolate pastry cream to achieve the result I want. Sometimes, friends or family that request me to bake cakes for them are challenging at times; but I don’t give up easily wink

I appreciate your time and patience in addressing my ganache concerns.

Posted: 30 October 2013 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

JA—

First, apologies!  I talked off the top of my head and got my ratios backwards.

2:1—chocolate to cream—is for truffle centers
1:1—chocolate to cream—is for frosting a cake and would most likely have the texture you prefer.

Apologies again!!!

—ak

Posted: 30 October 2013 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

Got it. Thanks Anne. I appreciate the correction.

JA

Posted: 30 October 2013 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I think I have officially started a trend where, once a year (this being year 2), I give ass-backwards advice (accidentally), so I apologize again—hopefully this blunder completes this year’s instalment, and I am hereby rendered safe for at least another year.  And I’d suggest going with Julie’s proposed 1.2 (chocolate):1 (cream), becuase she does have more experience and is far better than I on the nuances (among other things).

BTW, I saw your sour cream post—when I have leftover sour cream, I make Rose’s sour cream ganache and freeze it (if I don’t need it for the current project).  It is simply sour cream and melted chocolate.  It’s out of this world, and it might just be what you’re looking for, texture-wise.

Posted: 02 November 2013 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

It would be fairly simple to make up a small (perhaps half a cup or so) batch of ganache as a test run.  If you’re feeling all test kitchen-y, you could divide the test batch into several smaller bowls, leaving one at 1.25 to 1 (cream to chocolate) and then adding a little more cream to the next bowl (perhaps 1.5 to 1) and then a little more to the last (1.75 to 1).  Then you would have a very good idea of which ratio works best with your chocolate.

good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 13 November 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

Eueka!!! I finally discovered a soft ganache to my liking. I have noted all ratios and still was not happy with the results. So I tweaked the recipe and added corn syrup, sugar, and butter to the chocolate & cream and I ended up having a soft ganache with the texture of soft butter. Even when refrigerated, it remained creamy and like firm pudding.

Happy Baking!

Posted: 13 November 2013 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations!  Nothing tastes better than when you get to do a little do-it-yourself to a recipe and it works!

Posted: 15 November 2013 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

Thanks again. Anne. I am able to use all the other ratios for different purposes now. I am not working on White Chocolate ganache. It’s a whole different animal. You think the sour cream ganache recipe will work well with white chocolate since it melts at a lower temperature? White chocolate is too sweet and I thought sour cream will make a good counterbalance to the flavor.

Posted: 15 November 2013 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi,  JA!

I’ve never made white chocolate ganache before, but Rose’s Creamy Dreamy WC Frosting (RHC) used cream cheese, so you could look at that for a sort of go-by.  I know it ‘s a very soft frosting and remains soft under refrigeration—at least I think it says it does—I haven’t made it.  WC ganache could be mixed with something bitter or savory to temper its sweetness—foe example, a coffee ganache or a cardamom ganache.  Green tea, cinnamon, and ginger would each be interesting as well.

—ak

1 of 2