20cm cake pan
Posted: 29 October 2013 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2013-10-17

Hi everyone,

I have two 23cm round cake tins but with different height sides. I also have two identical 20cm cake tins. I’m thinking of making all my layer cakes that call for a 23cm pan to be made in the 20cm pans. Do you all think this could pose any problems?

Thanks

Tonia

Posted: 29 October 2013 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, ton ton!

Your 23cm pan is equal to “our” 9 inch pan. The area of this pan is 63 square inches.
Your 20cm pan is, close enough, equal to our 8” pan—it’s 7.87”.  The area of this pan is 49 square inches.
Assuming the pans are the same height, the 20 cm pan is 77% as big as the 23 cm pan.

Thus, you can use your 20cm pan, but just use 77% of the ingredients.  Also, increase your BP by *about* a scant 1/8 t. per layer to weaken the structure (it doesn’t need to span so great a distance) so you don’t get a dome.

Hope that helps!

—ak

Posted: 29 October 2013 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-17

Hi Ak,

Thanks so much for the prompt reply! Is there anyway I can work out 77% of the ingredients? It sounds like a tricky business!

Best,

Tonia

Posted: 29 October 2013 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Ton ton!

Ah, here is one of the pleasures of weighing, rather than using volume measurements of, ingredients!  You can easily convert to any percentage!

However, if you are using volume (and, for small quantities like leavening, salt, etc., you should always use volume, because “home” scales are not considered reliable for such tiny weights), I’d just do 75% (or 3/4), which should be pretty easy to do for, more or less, any recipe.

If you need some help with the calculations, though, feel free to post the recipe you are using.

Happy day!

—ak

Posted: 29 October 2013 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-17

Hi Ak,

The recipe is Rose’s Chocolate Fudge Cake in the Cake Bible (UK EDITION)

Do you have the recipe or should I post it?

Thanks so much smile

Posted: 30 October 2013 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, TT!

This is one of my Top 2 chocolate cakes!  Yum!

I will PM (send you a private message) you.  Look for the “PM” box in the upper right hand corner will be green when it arrives, and you will receive an automated email saying you’ve got one.  We never want to post Rose’s receips!

I’ll be sending you the ingredient list from the US edition, so if there is a difference in quantity, just PM me back, or post the different ingredients here.

I should have added that you can make the receipe as written for 23 cm and make three 20cm layers, as well.  Three 20cm hold the same batter as two 23cm

Okay!  Watch for the PM!

—ak

‹‹ Cookie monster cupcakes      Teddy Bear Cake ››