Rose Conversion Factor for Chocolate Fudge Cake and All American Chocolate Torte
Posted: 04 November 2013 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2011-04-30

Is there are simplified version of the Rose Conversion Factor? I have TCB and with all the charts and sections explaining the conversions, I get lost. I need help to bake the Chocolate Fudge Cake and All American Chocolate Torte in a 10” and 12” version. With chocolate involved, I don’t like to mess with the baking powder and baking soda ratios. Thanks.

Posted: 04 November 2013 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1215
Joined  2009-11-24

Jack,

I am fairly certain that the charts are not intended for those recipes.  When I want to scale a cake, I just multiply by a percentage to get the amount needed.  Then, for me, the leavening is sort of guess work for me.  But, I believe someone has written here whether you need more or less based on the size. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 04 November 2013 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

I don’t have my book in front of me, but re: AA choco torte, if it has the same amount of leavening per unit of flour or sugar as the AA choco layer cake, then you can make the rose factor AA choco layer cake in the sizes you need and just sub yolks for whole eggs 2:1 (2 yolks for every whole egg). 

re: choco fudge cake, you could estimate the proper reduction in leavening by looking at the differences between the rose factor leavening (AA choco layer cake)for your two sizes of cakes.  Then see if there is enough baking powder in the cake to reduce- ie., don’t reduce the baking soda, only the powder.  This would not be guaranteed to be perfect but would be a good place to start and might be quite a good result.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 04 November 2013 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2011-04-30

Thanks, Renee and Julie. My hunch was only re-affirmed by your advise. Much appreciate it.