8 of 8
Fifty days ‘til…...
Posted: 16 January 2014 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 14 January 2014 01:40 PM

Hi Flour girl

I’m back! My appetite is normal and I’m feeling so much better. That was a struggle.

Now, what to bake. Pretty cake’s pineapple pie keeps running through my mind and I know I have a can of pineapple. I just bought frozen blueberries and strawberries so I could whip up a buckle. smile

But, the one thing I really want to do is make an almond gallette. I might have to bug Prettycake but I’ll try my hardest, first.

Hope you are well, flourgill. I’ve missed chatting and baking. 

Hi Abbey,

Yay!! I’m so glad to hear you are feeling better now! And back! I missed you too!

It sounds like you are ready to bake. 

I’m looking forward to hearing about your next baking adventure.

I’ve been working on Honey Cakes.  I’ve pinned it down to Marcy Goldman’s Majestic And Moist New Year’s Eve Honey Cake. In fact, I am baking another today. Thsi one gets better with age. When I made it the first time, I did not put baking sheets under my pans. My loaves did over-brown but they were not hard or burnt at all. Marcy said this will be avoided by using 2 baking sheets under the loaves. 

Have a gr8 day!!

Posted: 16 January 2014 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  2011-12-25

Thanks Flourgirl. I’m so happy to be back in the human race!!

How did your experiment go? Did the baking sheets help? I’m curious about that recipe or really any recipe that uses honey. One can use honey instead of corn syrup!

I just printed out the Almond Galette recipe and plan on making the pastry Sat. night and baking it Sun. morning. Yummm. I will love it, I’m sure, plus it is so pretty. See if I can make it look as pretty as Prettycake did.

Hope your Honey Cake was perfect. What is the story about the Honey Cake?

Hope you have a good evening, dear flourgirl! 

Posted: 17 January 2014 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 16 January 2014 05:53 PM

Thanks Flourgirl. I’m so happy to be back in the human race!!

How did your experiment go? Did the baking sheets help? I’m curious about that recipe or really any recipe that uses honey. One can use honey instead of corn syrup!

I just printed out the Almond Galette recipe and plan on making the pastry Sat. night and baking it Sun. morning. Yummm. I will love it, I’m sure, plus it is so pretty. See if I can make it look as pretty as Prettycake did.

Hope your Honey Cake was perfect. What is the story about the Honey Cake?

Hope you have a good evening, dear flourgirl! 

Hi Abbey,

I can’t wait to see your Almond Galette. I’m sure you will make it beautiful. Are you planning on bringing it to work?

How is your grandma doing?

I substitute Lyle’s syrup for corn syrup. It has always worked beautifully. both myself and my husband’s bosses wife made the same recipe, a bread pudding, one gathering. She used corn syrup. I used Lyle’s golden Syrup. Yep, you guessed it. Everyone openly told me they preferred my bread pudding.

The story with the Honey Cake is: My uncle grew up eating Honey Cake. He is about to turn 94 and lives in a nursing home. We speak twice/week. Every time I tell him about my baking, he tells me how he wishes he could have some. He feels it is miserable in this facility and he hates the food.  I just want to send him a cake with which he is familiar. One which will bring back memories of days long gone.

The Honey Cake did come out perfect. This cake tastes better with each passing day.

I didn’t follow the mixing directions of the author, Marcy Goldman. She uses what seems like the batter technique. Instead, I used Rose’s mixing method applied to the Many Splendid Quick Bread in RHC. As Rose mentions, the batter does get foamy in the Honey Cake batter too. It’s really the best way to mix this cake for me because mixing by hand doesn’t work for my injury.

I baked the Sour Cream Cinnamon Crumb Cake from Baked 1 today. We have a memorial service tomorrow. I’ll be brining it. It is a 9 x 13 cake.

Have a good night Abbey. Enjoy making your Almond Galette!

Image Attachments
unnamed.jpg

Posted: 19 January 2014 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl,

With so much going on this weekend, it was a miracle that I accomplished this baking feat. I really enjoyed it but wished for more time to make it prettier. I watched youtube and learned some techniques that really made it fun. I learned how to fold the dough together instead of just forking it around the edges. Next time I’ll use more egg wash so it browns up more and make sure to put more of the egg wash around the designs. The heart could have used more of an outline. smile

I think your cake looks delicious. Was it good? Haven’t heard of Baked 1. 

I understand all too well how your uncle feels. My grandma wanted out of that facility and I didn’t blame her. I haven’t seen her for almost two weeks now and I really miss her. I’ll start helping here again soon but we wanted to make sure I was completely well first.

I’ll look for Lyle’s syrup-never heard of that either. Sounds very interesting. wink

Well, I haven’t tried that galette yet and I do plan to take it to work tomorrow but I think I need to treat myself to just a small slice tonight and hope it helps me get my laundry done.

I hope you had a nice day.

Abbey

Image Attachments
galette11.jpg

Posted: 20 January 2014 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Abbey, your galette is GORGEOUS!!! I am headed to bed now. I will finish my post tomorrow but I just wanted to tell you how great I think your galette is.

I expect everyone at work to be stunned by your ability.

Good night and will resume tomorrow.

Posted: 20 January 2014 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 19 January 2014 10:34 PM

Hi Flourgirl,

With so much going on this weekend, it was a miracle that I accomplished this baking feat. I really enjoyed it but wished for more time to make it prettier. I watched youtube and learned some techniques that really made it fun. I learned how to fold the dough together instead of just forking it around the edges. Next time I’ll use more egg wash so it browns up more and make sure to put more of the egg wash around the designs. The heart could have used more of an outline. smile

I think your cake looks delicious. Was it good? Haven’t heard of Baked 1. 

I understand all too well how your uncle feels. My grandma wanted out of that facility and I didn’t blame her. I haven’t seen her for almost two weeks now and I really miss her. I’ll start helping here again soon but we wanted to make sure I was completely well first.

I’ll look for Lyle’s syrup-never heard of that either. Sounds very interesting. wink

Well, I haven’t tried that galette yet and I do plan to take it to work tomorrow but I think I need to treat myself to just a small slice tonight and hope it helps me get my laundry done.

I hope you had a nice day.

Abbey

Good Morning,

You did a fabulous job. I have to say, Abbey, you really are very thorough. You research techniques and recipes. You seem very determined and it is a joy to hear about. You should be very proud of your galette.

My cake was perfect. Yesterday I made 3 more loaves (1 recipe=3 loaves) and they will be shipped to my uncle tomorrow. It tuns out this isn’t for his birthday since he was born in February. But, on our last phone conversation he told me how much he wished he could have a honey cake. He had no idea I planned to make it for him. So, for his birthday I will have to make something else. He mentioned he likes sponge cake too. I’ve never made that so that will be a new adventure for me.

Baked 1 is a baking book. The real name is Baked: New Frontiers In Baking but they have 3 books out so I refer to it as 1.  HERE IT IS

This is LYLES GOLDEN SYRUP.  I use this with excellent results. Rose talks about it HERE and HERE.

There is a forum discussion about substitutes for corn syrup HERE.

Here are two pics of my Cinnamon Streusel Sour Cream Cake. It was excellent. The recipe makes a large 9 x 13 pan.

I hope you get to see your Grandma.

Have fun sharing your galette today.

Image Attachments
unnamed-1.jpgunnamed.jpg

Posted: 20 January 2014 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

You are so kind and I love it. smile Everyone at work liked the galette and I will bake that again. A fruit galette would be good, though I love the almond flavor the best.

Your CSSC cake looks very yummy and I’m sure your dear uncle will appreciate it. I’ve never made a sponge cake either, so that could be my next adventure, as well. I read most of the links you posted and learned a great deal. I want to read more, after I get dinner on the table.

Thanks again for being so supportive. You rally make my day!! wink

Abbey  

8 of 8