Fifty days ‘til…...
Posted: 14 November 2013 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 13 November 2013 10:30 PM
Flour Girl - 13 November 2013 08:24 PM
abbey - 13 November 2013 05:37 PM

He made that look way too easy. I’ll check him out and keep his name in mind.

I’m the same way about worrying that it won’t come out right when under the gun. I know all too well what you mean but you just have to hold your mouth just right. Seriously though, I also do a better job on the first try but I’m gonna try to improve that Banana Crunch Cake second time around.

As for the fruit cake-I have a feeling Rose could change our minds.  I bet it is one good tasting cake besides the fact that it is beautiful-I said that once before but it really is.

Thanks for the info. I truly enjoy learning all about these kinds of things. smile

Chef Roland sure does make it look easy. I hope I’m able to unmold it.

As I mentioned, I follow Rose"s mixing instructions for her Refrigerator Banana Cake. It is that cake which employs sifting over the mixing bowl. My results are excellent. I use the whisk attachment on the mixer for most oil cakes.

Have a good evening Abbey.

Thank you so much. I read Rose’s recipe and just love how carefully she explains every little detail. It is most necessary. So, thanks again, that will help me a lot. I hope you have a great evening sweet flour girl.

Anytime. Talk to you soon Abbey.

Posted: 14 November 2013 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I am making—I have affirmatively decided (finally):

1.  Brandied cherry truffles;
2.  Salted sponge candy dipped in dark milk chocolate;
3.  Cardamon shortbread.

I CAN’T WAIT TO START, but, alas, I must ...

Posted: 14 November 2013 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2012-01-12
Anne in NC - 14 November 2013 05:15 PM

3.  Cardamon shortbread.

Well Anne your just gonna have to suffer thru it smilesmile
It will be such an enjoyable ordeal smilesmile

Posted: 15 November 2013 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  263
Joined  2011-12-25

“As I mentioned, I follow Rose"s mixing instructions for her Refrigerator Banana Cake. It is that cake which employs sifting over the mixing bowl. My results are excellent. I use the whisk attachment on the mixer for most oil cakes.”

Hi Flour Girl,

I just finished baking the Banana Crunch cake, followed Rose’s direction, like you said, and believe it will be very good. I just took it out of the oven and plan to take it to my Grandma’s house in a little while. I used the food processor to combine the bananas, yogurt, eggs and vanilla. I think that is a brilliant way to mix those ingredients first. Then I added that mix to the stand mixer bowl, added the sugar, then the oil, and then sifted the dry ingredients into that. That was good fun. 

Thanks for the great tips, oh, and I used the whisk attachment! I will let you how good it is. smile

Abbey

Hope you have a good Friday evening.

Posted: 15 November 2013 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25
prettycake - 14 November 2013 08:50 PM
Anne in NC - 14 November 2013 05:15 PM

3.  Cardamon shortbread.

Well Anne your just gonna have to suffer thru it smilesmile
It will be such an enjoyable ordeal smilesmile

So true!  I’m waiting for two things:

(1) for the “good butter” to go on a BOGO sale at the groc (for the cookies); and (2) December to start (for the candies).

I don’t know why I feel squeemish about freezing the truffles this year—I’ve done it a million times—but I am.  I think I want my tempered chocolate to be as pretty as possible—and for the booze to be as boozy as possible.  Those brandied cherries have been brewing for over a year now, and I don’t want them to lose any potency!

Posted: 15 November 2013 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 15 November 2013 05:16 PM

“As I mentioned, I follow Rose"s mixing instructions for her Refrigerator Banana Cake. It is that cake which employs sifting over the mixing bowl. My results are excellent. I use the whisk attachment on the mixer for most oil cakes.”

Hi Flour Girl,

I just finished baking the Banana Crunch cake, followed Rose’s direction, like you said, and believe it will be very good. I just took it out of the oven and plan to take it to my Grandma’s house in a little while. I used the food processor to combine the bananas, yogurt, eggs and vanilla. I think that is a brilliant way to mix those ingredients first. Then I added that mix to the stand mixer bowl, added the sugar, then the oil, and then sifted the dry ingredients into that. That was good fun. 

Thanks for the great tips, oh, and I used the whisk attachment! I will let you how good it is. smile

Abbey

Hope you have a good Friday evening.

Awesome! I can’t wait to hear your verdict!

Have a gr8 night!

Posted: 16 November 2013 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hello Flour Girl,

I try to watch their facial expressions when they take their first bite to see what they really think. Well, my Grandma, her friend and her granddaughter were all saying “yum” instantly. I honestly thought it was better the next day and perfect for breakfast.

I only had a little toffee leftover from the last batch, so I really missed that flavor and I’m wondering if I should use the instant oatmeal, instead of the old fashioned kind for the topping. It was fine this morning, but a little tough yesterday.

I’m getting ready to bake something this afternoon. I’m thinking about the pumpkin cake in the Bundt pan, for experimentation, because I will definitely bake that for Thanksgiving, and possibly making the Banana Crunch Cake, again, for my sister’s family. While I was preparing it yesterday, I kept looking around the kitchen, wondering what else I could add to it. I might have to get creative now that I feel comfortable with the recipe. wink

Will you use the walnut oil for the pumpkin cake? I don’t have that ingredient.

Thanks Flour Girl, it’s fun to talk to you!! smile

Posted: 18 November 2013 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 16 November 2013 02:34 PM

Hello Flour Girl,

I try to watch their facial expressions when they take their first bite to see what they really think. Well, my Grandma, her friend and her granddaughter were all saying “yum” instantly. I honestly thought it was better the next day and perfect for breakfast.

I only had a little toffee leftover from the last batch, so I really missed that flavor and I’m wondering if I should use the instant oatmeal, instead of the old fashioned kind for the topping. It was fine this morning, but a little tough yesterday.

I’m getting ready to bake something this afternoon. I’m thinking about the pumpkin cake in the Bundt pan, for experimentation, because I will definitely bake that for Thanksgiving, and possibly making the Banana Crunch Cake, again, for my sister’s family. While I was preparing it yesterday, I kept looking around the kitchen, wondering what else I could add to it. I might have to get creative now that I feel comfortable with the recipe. wink

Will you use the walnut oil for the pumpkin cake? I don’t have that ingredient.

Thanks Flour Girl, it’s fun to talk to you!! smile

Hi Abbey. sorry I didn’t see your post until just now.

The topping in this recipe does get a little touch. I don’t use instant but you can try it if you want.

There is a crumb recipe in Fran Costigan’s Vegan Chocolate Cookbook The recipe is on a blog. HERE IT IS.  I am sure you can substitute this recipe for the topping in the original recipe. It uses dried cranberries but you can use any dried fruit you like. I was thinking of using sugared dried blueberries. With bananas, yum!

I don’t use the Walnut Oil. I just don’t make it often enough for it to be an economically-sound choice for me. If you don’t use the Walnut oil you can add the sum of both oils as your Canola oil gram weight.

Thanks Abbey! It’s always fun speaking to you! Good luck with your next cake adventure!

Posted: 18 November 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

No problem at all, Flour Girl,

It sounds like you have been busy and having oven issues. Good luck - that has to be a bummer for you. 

Thanks for the help and I agree about the sugared dried blueberries, perfect combo! I bought some Almond Oil yesterday, so, maybe I’ll use it. Thanks for reminding me to sum up the oils - you’re good!! 

I didn’t get anything baked yesterday, as I had hoped, but my first project today is to get a pear pie made for work. If not, I will see an unhappy face tomorrow. wink

I will make the pumpkin cake today, soo looking forward to that adventure. And, if I’m not whipped by that time, I’ll fix the Cinnamon Cloud Nine Crunchies(they look divine)from Rose’s Christmas Cookies book. 

Later!!

Posted: 18 November 2013 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 18 November 2013 01:33 PM

No problem at all, Flour Girl,

It sounds like you have been busy and having oven issues. Good luck - that has to be a bummer for you. 

Thanks for the help and I agree about the sugared dried blueberries, perfect combo! I bought some Almond Oil yesterday, so, maybe I’ll use it. Thanks for reminding me to sum up the oils - you’re good!! 

I didn’t get anything baked yesterday, as I had hoped, but my first project today is to get a pear pie made for work. If not, I will see an unhappy face tomorrow. wink

I will make the pumpkin cake today, soo looking forward to that adventure. And, if I’m not whipped by that time, I’ll fix the Cinnamon Cloud Nine Crunchies(they look divine)from Rose’s Christmas Cookies book. 

Later!!

My issue is depressing. That recipe is not cheap to make. It requires a dozen eggs, a whole pound of butter and sugar. Plus, the technique is a little involved as I have to place the eggs in a Bain Marie. The eggs have to be added very slowly to the creamed butter and sugar, approx 1 TB at a time. 

I like your idea about almond oil.

I can’t wait to see pics of your baking accomplishments.

Posted: 18 November 2013 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I understand that. I hate it when that happens. wink Sounds like Freshkid helped you figure it out though. I hope!!

I’m glad to hear you think the almond oil would work. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it might not taste right together. That’s why it is so nice to be able to discuss it.

I just put the pear pie in the oven. I took a short cut so I hope it turns out. I only made one pie dough, figuring I’d have enough left over dough to cover it lattice style. Well, I had to roll the leftover dough out to a very thin layer so we’ll see, ha!!

That will bake for 40 minutes which gives me just enough time to prepare the pumpkin cake but I’m already feeling like a nap would do me good. smile

Posted: 18 November 2013 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 18 November 2013 05:59 PM

I understand that. I hate it when that happens. wink Sounds like Freshkid helped you figure it out though. I hope!!

I’m glad to hear you think the almond oil would work. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it might not taste right together. That’s why it is so nice to be able to discuss it.

I just put the pear pie in the oven. I took a short cut so I hope it turns out. I only made one pie dough, figuring I’d have enough left over dough to cover it lattice style. Well, I had to roll the leftover dough out to a very thin layer so we’ll see, ha!!

That will bake for 40 minutes which gives me just enough time to prepare the pumpkin cake but I’m already feeling like a nap would do me good. smile

Abbey, the almond oil might not taste right in that recipe. I personally don’t like walnut oil either. I think it is too strong for my tastes. I prefer canola oil. I’m sorry I gave you the wrong impression.

Wow! You are sure doing a lot of baking. One day, perhaps, you can give me pie advice. I made one pie. It took me 12 hours. Although it was delicious, I have shied away from making another. Now that I have an arm injury, I have not been able to roll a dough. I make dog biscuits. My husband has been helping by doing the rolling for me.

Posted: 18 November 2013 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

“Abbey, the almond oil might not taste right in that recipe. I personally don’t like walnut oil either. I think it is too strong for my tastes. I prefer canola oil. I’m sorry I gave you the wrong impression.”

Well, I used the almond oil and it seems fine to me. I’ll see what the folks at work think tomorrow. It is really good and the texture is so light with a little bit of a crunchy crust. That’s the best Bundt cake I’ve ever tasted. Delightful!!! 

You know, I’d have preferred to make the Cinnamon Cloud Nine Crunchies first, but figured I’d save the pears(they were actually perfect for a pie) and ‘me’ from getting into trouble at work-they were expecting some kind of dessert with those pears. The recipe for the pie crust uses cream cheese, it’s fail-proof. I found it in my Sur la Table cookbook and I’d be happy to give it to you, if you’d like. Otherwise, it’s not difficult. Peeling the pairs was time consuming!! smile

Yes, I had the day off and felt good, so I wanted to have some fun and baking does it for me.  Do you make those dog biscuits from Rose’s Cookbook? 

How much longer do you have until your arm is healed?

Abbey

Posted: 18 November 2013 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Picture of the Pumpkin Bundt Cake

Image Attachments
pumpkinbundte.jpg

Posted: 19 November 2013 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 18 November 2013 08:41 PM

Picture of the Pumpkin Bundt Cake

Beautiful! It’s just perfect! I’m so glad you liked it!!

2 of 8