3 of 8
Fifty days ‘til…...
Posted: 19 November 2013 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1648
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 18 November 2013 08:37 PM

“Abbey, the almond oil might not taste right in that recipe. I personally don’t like walnut oil either. I think it is too strong for my tastes. I prefer canola oil. I’m sorry I gave you the wrong impression.”

Well, I used the almond oil and it seems fine to me. I’ll see what the folks at work think tomorrow. It is really good and the texture is so light with a little bit of a crunchy crust. That’s the best Bundt cake I’ve ever tasted. Delightful!!! 

You know, I’d have preferred to make the Cinnamon Cloud Nine Crunchies first, but figured I’d save the pears(they were actually perfect for a pie) and ‘me’ from getting into trouble at work-they were expecting some kind of dessert with those pears. The recipe for the pie crust uses cream cheese, it’s fail-proof. I found it in my Sur la Table cookbook and I’d be happy to give it to you, if you’d like. Otherwise, it’s not difficult. Peeling the pairs was time consuming!! smile

Yes, I had the day off and felt good, so I wanted to have some fun and baking does it for me.  Do you make those dog biscuits from Rose’s Cookbook? 

How much longer do you have until your arm is healed?

Abbey

I’m glad the almond oil worked for you!

Thank you for offering the recipe. I have access to that book. I have taken it out of the library many times. Next time I’m there, I will rent it again. Thanks for the advice.

Have you ever made Rose’s cream cheese pie crust?

I don’t know when my arm will heal, if ever. The bone is healed but the soft tissue injury can be permanent. I am on wait-and-see mode. Thank you for asking.

I’m sure your fellow workers are going to love your Bundt. Let us know how it goes at work.

Have a good night Abbey. grin

Posted: 19 November 2013 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi fg,

Well, the pumpkin bread was liked by all at work. I asked everyone if they could detect the almond flavor but no one could so I think we’re good with that. I will bake that again. In fact, I should be in the kitchen making it for our dinner at work, but I used up all of my energy.

Which cookbook has the cream cheese dough recipe ? I would like to look at the recipes in Rose’s Cake Bible just for fun. One cookbook is enough to keep me busy and happy smile

Well, dear flour girl, I sure hope your arm gets back to normal real soon.  And, I’m glad you have a helping hand-that’s very important.

Take care smile

Posted: 20 November 2013 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 19 November 2013 09:26 PM

Hi fg,

Well, the pumpkin bread was liked by all at work. I asked everyone if they could detect the almond flavor but no one could so I think we’re good with that. I will bake that again. In fact, I should be in the kitchen making it for our dinner at work, but I used up all of my energy.

Which cookbook has the cream cheese dough recipe ? I would like to look at the recipes in Rose’s Cake Bible just for fun. One cookbook is enough to keep me busy and happy smile

Well, dear flour girl, I sure hope your arm gets back to normal real soon.  And, I’m glad you have a helping hand-that’s very important.

Take care smile

Hi Abbey, I’m glad everyone liked your cake.

The cream cheese pie crust is in Rose’s Pie And Pastry Bible.  The recipe is also posted on her blog

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/10/roses_favorite_flaky_tender_pi.html

Thank you for your well-wishes. I think this is my new normal but i guess I will have to wait and see. Yes, I have the best husband. I’m very lucky.

Have a good evening.

Posted: 20 November 2013 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hello Flour Girl,

That is an interesting recipe and a bit different than the Sur la table’s. I love trying new things so I will do that one next time around. Speaking of Sur la table, I went to their website and looked for way too long. That place it too cute!! I thought it said free shipping until you look at the small print—over $$ amount. They should offer free shipping somehow cuz they’d definitely get my business.

Yes, you are a lucky Flour Girl!! smile

We’ll see if my Grandmother likes this pumpkin bread tonight. I cant’ wait to see her face light up. People are asking for the recipe. here at work, telling me that it was super duper good. wink 

Have a gr8(I love that) evening!!!! 

Posted: 21 November 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 20 November 2013 05:58 PM

Hello Flour Girl,

That is an interesting recipe and a bit different than the Sur la table’s. I love trying new things so I will do that one next time around. Speaking of Sur la table, I went to their website and looked for way too long. That place it too cute!! I thought it said free shipping until you look at the small print—over $$ amount. They should offer free shipping somehow cuz they’d definitely get my business.

Yes, you are a lucky Flour Girl!! smile

We’ll see if my Grandmother likes this pumpkin bread tonight. I cant’ wait to see her face light up. People are asking for the recipe. here at work, telling me that it was super duper good. wink 

Have a gr8(I love that) evening!!!!

That is pretty sneaky of SLT. I never buy online unless I have no choice. I love to go to their store. I definitely spend more in the store than I would online.

I never made Rose’s cream cheese crust either. I hear it is great.

Your Grandma must be very special to have such a devoted granddaughter.

I’m so glad your pumpkin bundt was a hit. I’m going to make that recipe soon.

Have a gr8 day grin

Posted: 22 November 2013 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Good Morning Flour Girl,

That Grandma of mine is the sweetest woman and I always enjoy her company. Last night, she kept saying, ‘Simply delicious’ about the bundt, as did most people, so I think you will love it. I did use cake flour which made the crumb very light. I will make that again and will probably make some kind of pie, using Rose’s recipe, when Grandma stays with me next weekend. She loves to bake, but her fingers don’t work quite as well as they used to, so I’m going to let her have some fun in the kitchen, doing whatever she can. I’m thinking maybe a gooseberry pie.

I haven’t had a chance to get to SLT yet, so online shopping is it for now. I seem to shop online much more these days, even though they all pretty much charge for shipping. Seems the bigger stores can afford to offer free shipping, so I’ve been doing that. I have to send some Valomilk candies to my hairdresser and while trying to find their shipping costs, I read their FAQs about why they charge so much for shipping. They explained how they didn’t want to increase the price of their products just to provide cheaper shipping costs. They need to make a deal with FedEx. smile

So, I have gr8 plans for my 4 day weekend, starting today. I have to figured out which cookies, cakes I can bake and save for later next week. 

If you have any ideas, I’d love to hear about them. smile

Posted: 23 November 2013 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 22 November 2013 09:22 AM

Good Morning Flour Girl,

That Grandma of mine is the sweetest woman and I always enjoy her company. Last night, she kept saying, ‘Simply delicious’ about the bundt, as did most people, so I think you will love it. I did use cake flour which made the crumb very light. I will make that again and will probably make some kind of pie, using Rose’s recipe, when Grandma stays with me next weekend. She loves to bake, but her fingers don’t work quite as well as they used to, so I’m going to let her have some fun in the kitchen, doing whatever she can. I’m thinking maybe a gooseberry pie.

I haven’t had a chance to get to SLT yet, so online shopping is it for now. I seem to shop online much more these days, even though they all pretty much charge for shipping. Seems the bigger stores can afford to offer free shipping, so I’ve been doing that. I have to send some Valomilk candies to my hairdresser and while trying to find their shipping costs, I read their FAQs about why they charge so much for shipping. They explained how they didn’t want to increase the price of their products just to provide cheaper shipping costs. They need to make a deal with FedEx. smile

So, I have gr8 plans for my 4 day weekend, starting today. I have to figured out which cookies, cakes I can bake and save for later next week. 

If you have any ideas, I’d love to hear about them. smile

Hi Abbey!

It sounds like you are on top of things! It’s a good feeling to know you have your plans made.

I like to shop in stores. I enjoy the entire experience of shopping. I’ll order something only if I have no opportunity to get it locally.

I’m glad to hear Grandma liked the Bundt! I think I should make it to bring to my family for Thanksgiving.  What did you use for frosting? I’ll probably make a glaze. Does chocolate go with pumpkin?

Enjoy your weekend!

Posted: 23 November 2013 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi flourgirl,

I did not put any glaze on the bundt cake, mostly because the people at work prefer it that way. I just googled chocolate icing for pumpkin cake and it is definitely a popular thing to do. There are all kinds of recipes out there that look pretty good and I think a very light, chocolaty glaze would work best. You don’t want to cover up the lovely taste of that pumpkin-in my opinion! smile I think you should make it!!

Well, one minute, I feel all good about my plan, then suddenly, I worry!! Ha, that’s the way it goes.

I love to shop too, believe me. I shop early in the morning, to avoid the crowds, and really do enjoy it. Though shopping for Christmas presents, online, is so convenient and I don’t really mind the shipping charges, too much. wink

Talk to you later and enjoy! 

Posted: 24 November 2013 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 23 November 2013 10:33 PM

Hi flourgirl,

I did not put any glaze on the bundt cake, mostly because the people at work prefer it that way. I just googled chocolate icing for pumpkin cake and it is definitely a popular thing to do. There are all kinds of recipes out there that look pretty good and I think a very light, chocolaty glaze would work best. You don’t want to cover up the lovely taste of that pumpkin-in my opinion! smile I think you should make it!!

Well, one minute, I feel all good about my plan, then suddenly, I worry!! Ha, that’s the way it goes.

I love to shop too, believe me. I shop early in the morning, to avoid the crowds, and really do enjoy it. Though shopping for Christmas presents, online, is so convenient and I don’t really mind the shipping charges, too much. wink

Talk to you later and enjoy! 

Thanks for looking I to that for me. I have the perfect glaze. It is made from confectioner’s sugar, cocoa and vanilla. I’m going to make it. Thank you!

I like to shop early too. I like to bake early. I like to do everything I have to do as early as possible.

Have a good night Abbey. To to you later!

Posted: 24 November 2013 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Morning!

That is exactly what I thought about the recipe with the cocoa. It would be perfect! Please let me know how it turns out and what you think. 

It’s a perfect day to play in the kitchen!!

Good day dear flourgirl and have fun!! 

Posted: 24 November 2013 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Good Morning Abbey! I will. I will probably bake the pumpkin bundt this afternoon. This morning I am going to attempt my last try at the illusive pound cake I have been baking. I need it for tomorrow.

I’m considering a Flo Braker pound cake in its place. There isn’t a recipe I have made of Flo’s that wasn’t superb. I have Chef Bo’s and Flo’s books on my counter. Ingredients are coming to room temp. I won’t know which cake I am baking until I actually begin. The pressure is on.

Posted: 24 November 2013 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Don’t you just love it. That pumpkin cake is a healthy & hearty one, giving us a dose of vitamin A.

Is that the cake that had the caramelizing of the sugar, causing the browning of the tops? Hopefully, Bo and Flo will make it work. smile

You are having fun and I’m so glad. I’m just now going to the kitchen to cook some home-made soup. Tomorrow will be my baking day and I look forward to hearing from you about the chocolate glaze.

Abbey smile

Posted: 25 November 2013 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 24 November 2013 03:22 PM

Don’t you just love it. That pumpkin cake is a healthy & hearty one, giving us a dose of vitamin A.

Is that the cake that had the caramelizing of the sugar, causing the browning of the tops? Hopefully, Bo and Flo will make it work. smile

You are having fun and I’m so glad. I’m just now going to the kitchen to cook some home-made soup. Tomorrow will be my baking day and I look forward to hearing from you about the chocolate glaze.

Abbey smile

I do! It was absolutely delicious!  The chocolate glaze was PERFECT! Thank you for going to the trouble to research it for me.

I always marvel at the ease of Rose’s recipes.  Here is a pic. For some reason, my pics have been coming out dark. But it is delish! I made this yesterday afternoon and it is half gone.

Have a fun day baking!

Image Attachments
phpWI04MlAM-1.jpg

Posted: 25 November 2013 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

So Happy to help you and, I must say, that cake looks very good. What did you add to it? So, you really like the combo? Just a touch of chocolate flavor, right?

I will bake that today, along with some kind of sweet potato cake or bread. Just found out I have Wed. off so that gives me time to possibly make those cookies from Rose’s book that uses yeast. I’ve been thinking about those Cinnamon Cloud Nine cookies ever since I saw them, so that I have to look forward to, which is what ‘makes my day’. I love it too.

Thanks for sharing your pic. and I will to the same.

Abbey:)

Posted: 26 November 2013 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 25 November 2013 01:48 PM

So Happy to help you and, I must say, that cake looks very good. What did you add to it? So, you really like the combo? Just a touch of chocolate flavor, right?

I will bake that today, along with some kind of sweet potato cake or bread. Just found out I have Wed. off so that gives me time to possibly make those cookies from Rose’s book that uses yeast. I’ve been thinking about those Cinnamon Cloud Nine cookies ever since I saw them, so that I have to look forward to, which is what ‘makes my day’. I love it too.

Thanks for sharing your pic. and I will to the same.

Abbey:)

Hi Abbey, I didn’t add anything other than the ingredients in the recipe. I glazed the cake using confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, hot water and vanilla. I only used canola oil. I’m glad I took your advice because the cake needed more flavor. Keep in mind this recipe calls for frostings. Also, cake flour makes it lighter than the AP flour version from The Cake Bible. The glaze was perfect. Not overwhelming or too sweet.

What did you bake today?

3 of 8