4 of 8
Fifty days ‘til…...
Posted: 26 November 2013 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2011-12-25

I wanted to ask you how you did that glaze. I looked for it online yesterday and figured you used oil. I kinda like it plain, but still curious about the choco/punkin combo. I think I’ll save this recipe for when I hang out with my Grandma on Saturday at her house. That should be easy enough to mix up in an unfamiliar kitchen, well, maybe the banana cake would be even easier. I promised her we’d bake something.
I did use the cake flour and could notice a difference in the texture from the bundt using reg flour. I liked it but took some getting gused to. I was shocked when I picked it up to take it to work-it was as light as a feather. 

I didn’t get a thing baked yesterday and Had to work today but have all day tomorrow to make something so magical that even I will be impressed. wink  Let’s hope anyway! I will let you know.

Glad you liked your bundt. Is it all gone yet? smile

Posted: 27 November 2013 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 26 November 2013 02:41 PM

I wanted to ask you how you did that glaze. I looked for it online yesterday and figured you used oil. I kinda like it plain, but still curious about the choco/punkin combo. I think I’ll save this recipe for when I hang out with my Grandma on Saturday at her house. That should be easy enough to mix up in an unfamiliar kitchen, well, maybe the banana cake would be even easier. I promised her we’d bake something.
I did use the cake flour and could notice a difference in the texture from the bundt using reg flour. I liked it but took some getting gused to. I was shocked when I picked it up to take it to work-it was as light as a feather. 

I didn’t get a thing baked yesterday and Had to work today but have all day tomorrow to make something so magical that even I will be impressed. wink  Let’s hope anyway! I will let you know.

Glad you liked your bundt. Is it all gone yet? smile

No oil at all. Just confectioner’s sugar, cocoa, boiling water and vanilla. The glaze is from Fran Costigan’s Vegan Chocolate
The recipe is posted on THIS BLOG. Scroll down the page. The ingredients and directions for the glaze are under the Chocolate Pecan Cranberry Cake recipe. That cake, by the way, is awesome.

The cake flour does make a difference and, I think, does take getting used to it.

Have a fun day of baking tomorrow. I’ll be baking too. Not sure what yet. I bought ingredients for several things. I have to think about what I want to bring to my in-laws on Thrusday.

Have a good night Abbey.

Posted: 27 November 2013 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thank you so much for that glaze recipe. I was searching and getting lost with all the recipes. I just read it and it said to sift the sugar and cocoa. Did you do that? Yes, the Chocolate Pecan Cranberry Cake looks awesome, too. Someday!! smile

I’ll be wondering what you created today. I haven’t made anything yet, but I’m close to getting started. 

Thanks again, flourgirl. Hope you’re having a happy day in the kitchen!!

Abbey

Posted: 27 November 2013 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 27 November 2013 05:31 PM

Thank you so much for that glaze recipe. I was searching and getting lost with all the recipes. I just read it and it said to sift the sugar and cocoa. Did you do that? Yes, the Chocolate Pecan Cranberry Cake looks awesome, too. Someday!! smile

I’ll be wondering what you created today. I haven’t made anything yet, but I’m close to getting started. 

Thanks again, flourgirl. Hope you’re having a happy day in the kitchen!!

Abbey

Yes I did sift the sugar and cocoa together but there have been times when I didn’t and could not see any difference. If I remember to leave the strainer out after making the batter I will sift. Once I wash the strainer it would not be good for sifting until completely dry.

You really don’t want to know about my very important day of baking. OMGosh! What a disaster !

I bought ingredients for 3 desserts and for salad. I started with the Refrigerator Banana Cake this morning. While combining the banana and creme fraiche I noticed the combo looked curdled. However , my best banana cake recipe is supposed to look curdled, according to the recipe’s instructions. So I continued. The cake baked beautifully! I was happy. Then I tried to invert the cake. It had not solidified! It was the consistency of pudding!

I was upset. I don’t know if the creme fraiche was bad or if the bananas weren’t good.

I decided to just bring the salad because my sister in law is bringing several ( store bought) pies.

So I will make the other two desserts for us wink

Posted: 28 November 2013 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Bummer. Has that ever happened with that recipe? What other desserts are you making?

I haven’t made one yet. I had to redo the butter, onions and flour for the green bean casserole last night, and now I’m thinking I’ll just make the pumpkin bundt cake. My sister is bringing pies from the store, too, but I sure wanted a home-made pie of some kind. Oh well!!

Have a Great Thanksgiving and don’t despair about the RBC disaster, at least you tried.

PS. I sure do appreciate how well Rose writes her recipes. Clear and concise. It’s all in the technique. So here’s a big Thank YOU to Rose.  smile

Posted: 28 November 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 28 November 2013 08:04 AM

Bummer. Has that ever happened with that recipe? What other desserts are you making?

I haven’t made one yet. I had to redo the butter, onions and flour for the green bean casserole last night, and now I’m thinking I’ll just make the pumpkin bundt cake. My sister is bringing pies from the store, too, but I sure wanted a home-made pie of some kind. Oh well!!

Have a Great Thanksgiving and don’t despair about the RBC disaster, at least you tried.

PS. I sure do appreciate how well Rose writes her recipes. Clear and concise. It’s all in the technique. So here’s a big Thank YOU to Rose.  smile

Hi Abbey. Happy Thanksgiving!

I’m sorry to hear you had to redo your green beans. That can be very discouraging.

I wish I made the pumpkin bundt. I spent all morning on the other cake. I have made it more than any other recipe of Rose’s. It is always perfect. I’m sure the creme fraishe had to be spoiled. I would guess the rancid c.f. altered the acid balance in a negative way. In no way was this relative to Rose’s recipe.  CF is not cheap. I called the store and they will give me a refund. But it’s not about that. I took an entire morning to make that cake. I was methodical. I just learned there will be more people than I thought at our celebration. My cake would not have been enough anyway. I decided not to make the other desserts (Rose’s Whipped Cream Cake and Coeur a la Creme). I’ll make the cake for my family this week and make the Coeur a la Creme for Christmas.

Yes, a big thank you to Rose for all she does to take our baking ability to new heights.

Have a g8 day!

Posted: 28 November 2013 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I’m so sorry flourgirl. I know how you feel. The time one spends doing these things is hard enough to lose, but what really kills me is wasting the ingredients. I wasn’t upset with wasting the few ingredients for the green bean casserole but there are times when it really bites.
I knew the turkey had to be in the oven at a certain time so I was figuring if I had enough time to make the bundt. I had to hurry but the second time around is so much easier. But, I didn’t have time to make the glaze so ill be making that cake again just for that reason. 

Ive never used CF. Must be some good stufff?  Why so expensive?

Oh, guess what I did?  I forgot to get the cranberry sauce out of the fridge for our dinner. I remember telling myself NOT to forget that.  And I spent a good amount ot time cooking that!!! smile

Posted: 29 November 2013 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 28 November 2013 11:34 PM

I’m so sorry flourgirl. I know how you feel. The time one spends doing these things is hard enough to lose, but what really kills me is wasting the ingredients. I wasn’t upset with wasting the few ingredients for the green bean casserole but there are times when it really bites.
I knew the turkey had to be in the oven at a certain time so I was figuring if I had enough time to make the bundt. I had to hurry but the second time around is so much easier. But, I didn’t have time to make the glaze so ill be making that cake again just for that reason. 

Ive never used CF. Must be some good stufff?  Why so expensive?

Oh, guess what I did?  I forgot to get the cranberry sauce out of the fridge for our dinner. I remember telling myself NOT to forget that.  And I spent a good amount ot time cooking that!!! smile

Hi Abbey,

I hope you had a good Thanksgiving.  The cake is delish with or without the glaze. I hope everyone enjoyed it.

CF is similar to sour cream but made with heavy cream. The internet is filled with recipes to make CF yourself. By the time I am ready to use CF, it is too late for me to make it.

Today I am baking my first Martha Stewart recipe. The recipe calls for milk. I am going to use non-fat dry milk.  This cake is a fig cake and is made in a tart pan.  I’ll let you know how it turns out.

If you are going shopping today, have fun!

Posted: 29 November 2013 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl,

Thank you and I hope you had a good one, too. I think everyone had a good time, including me. And, yes, they did love the cake.

I was so tired today, after the cooking marathon yesterday, I stayed home, but did look at all the sales out there, but no one got my $. I get to shop at Trader Joe’s tomorrow, while Grandma gets her hair gussied up, and will probably spend a chunk of dough there. smile 

I hope your baking went well today. Did you have a reason for choosing a fig cake?

Abbey

Posted: 30 November 2013 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 29 November 2013 08:00 PM

Hi Flourgirl,

Thank you and I hope you had a good one, too. I think everyone had a good time, including me. And, yes, they did love the cake.

I was so tired today, after the cooking marathon yesterday, I stayed home, but did look at all the sales out there, but no one got my $. I get to shop at Trader Joe’s tomorrow, while Grandma gets her hair gussied up, and will probably spend a chunk of dough there. smile 

I hope your baking went well today. Did you have a reason for choosing a fig cake?

Abbey

Hi Abbey!

I’m glad your Thanksgiving was a success and everyone liked the cake.

I love Trader Joe. I buy my baking walnuts, pecans and dried fruit for baking there. That store is very reasonable.

I baked the fig cake because I own the Martha book on cakes for a month and haven’t baked from it yet. I chose the fig cake because I have figs and the recipe calls for olive oil and one egg.  It also calls for milk. However, no type of milk or fat content is mentioned. So, I used nonfat dry milk reconstituted with water to equal the half cup required for the recipe. All I have to say is, Martha is no Rose.

I realize the use of nonfat dry milk might have altered the result but, as I mentioned, no type of milk was specified.

The recipe worked but the taste was ordinary. I guess I am spoiled because Rose’s recipes taste extraordinary to me and to my guests.

I’ll post pictures tomorrow.

Have fun with your Grandma tomorrow!

Posted: 01 December 2013 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Pics of the Martha Fig Cake:

Image Attachments
unnamed-1.jpgunnamed.jpg

Posted: 01 December 2013 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

That looks excellent and beautiful!! I got a good chuckle when you said Martha was no Rose. You are so right about Rose’s recipes being extraordinary; she’s the best!! I suppose she meant whole milk, but that shouldn’t have made that much difference in the flavor. I wonder why it didn’t taste good? It was probably just the recipe.

Maybe you could find one of Rose’s recipes that uses figs. I like that idea of using figs and meant to look for them at TJ’s yesterday but… I did find some macadamia nuts, without salt,(they do have a wonderful selection of nuts) and now want to find a recipe to use them in. Just a simple bread or cake recipe will do.

I finally recovered and feel like baking again, so hopefully, I’ll come up with something special to bake tonight.

Have a good day flourgirl and thank you for posting the pictures. It looks marvelous!! smile

Posted: 01 December 2013 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flour girl,

I just made a Banana cake and added the macadamia nuts to it. I found the recipe on line, after searching all day for something that looked good. The toothpick came out clean, but I think it needed to bake longer. Once it cools, it might be perfect. 

The combo is kind of weird though. I like it. I will let the work gang vote on it tomorrow. They always tell me it isn’t perfect and that I should try it again. Ha!! wink

Abbey

Posted: 02 December 2013 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 01 December 2013 01:27 PM

That looks excellent and beautiful!! I got a good chuckle when you said Martha was no Rose. You are so right about Rose’s recipes being extraordinary; she’s the best!! I suppose she meant whole milk, but that shouldn’t have made that much difference in the flavor. I wonder why it didn’t taste good? It was probably just the recipe.

Maybe you could find one of Rose’s recipes that uses figs. I like that idea of using figs and meant to look for them at TJ’s yesterday but… I did find some macadamia nuts, without salt,(they do have a wonderful selection of nuts) and now want to find a recipe to use them in. Just a simple bread or cake recipe will do.

I finally recovered and feel like baking again, so hopefully, I’ll come up with something special to bake tonight.

Have a good day flourgirl and thank you for posting the pictures. It looks marvelous!! smile

Hi Abbey,

I’m glad to hear you are ready to start baking again!

I was actually in TJ on Saturday looking for figs. I couldn’t find any there. Il have to get them in the regular supermarket.

Thank you! I assure you it looks better than it tastes.

I didn’t like the Martha recipe because it just didn’t taste great. It tasted ordinary and not a good ordinary either. I have 3/4 of it remaining. I am dumping it in the morning. The Martha cake book is going to be given as a grab bag gift at a party l am attending next week. My new rule: try a book from the library before I buy.

Posted: 02 December 2013 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 01 December 2013 08:13 PM

Hi Flour girl,

I just made a Banana cake and added the macadamia nuts to it. I found the recipe on line, after searching all day for something that looked good. The toothpick came out clean, but I think it needed to bake longer. Once it cools, it might be perfect. 

The combo is kind of weird though. I like it. I will let the work gang vote on it tomorrow. They always tell me it isn’t perfect and that I should try it again. Ha!! wink

Abbey

It sounds great! Are you posting a picture? I love Mac nuts. I saw them in TJ on Saturday. It was my husband who showed them to me. The price was pretty reasonable too.

If you like Mac nuts, you should see Hector’s website. Hector is a member of this forum and very accomplished in his own right. He modifies many of Roses’s recipes. Since he is from Hawaii, he seems to use local ingredients. He bakes many Rose recipes using Mac nuts. This is his site:

http://www.myyellowkitchen.com

Have a good night Abbey grin

4 of 8