5 of 8
Fifty days ‘til…...
Posted: 02 December 2013 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2011-12-25

Thank you so much Flourgirl. I really appreciate how much you help me. I will look at that site when I get to work this morning.

I bought a couple of bags and they are 10 oz. bags, I think, and very reasonably priced. I searched the regular stores for them but they were all salted-TJ’s is the best and I wish they were closer to me. I don’t get over that way unless Grandma needs a hair appt. But, anyway, I will look for a recipe from Hector’s site. I did notice his name while browsing this site.

A big thanks, dear FG!!! 

I hope you have a wonderful day!  smile

Abbey

Here are some pics. I just sampled one and am very happy to say it turned out well.

Image Attachments
maccake_sm.jpgmaccake_sma.jpg

Posted: 02 December 2013 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1569
Joined  2011-02-17

Your cake looks delicious Abbey! That is the kind of cake we like best. I’m so glad you are happy with your cake.

I think you will be wowed by Hector’s site. He is truly amazing.

Have a gr8 day Abbey!

Posted: 12 December 2013 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flour Girl, I meant to get back to you about Hector’s site and that I couldn’t really navigate around it very well. I will try again.

But, I really wanted to talk to you about my new(used) Cake Bible that just came in the mail. I also ordered the Pie & Pastry CB, too.

I have the Cake Bible on my lap right now and am sneaking a few peeks while working…shame!! I see some recipes that are called ‘low cholesterol’ cakes. I figured you had tried some of these and wondered what you thought. While looking through the book, some of the names where ringing a bell. I will have much more time after Christmas to explore and figure out which ones to do first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hope you are having a good day!!

Abbey

Posted: 13 December 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 12 December 2013 10:59 AM

Hi Flour Girl, I meant to get back to you about Hector’s site and that I couldn’t really navigate around it very well. I will try again.

But, I really wanted to talk to you about my new(used) Cake Bible that just came in the mail. I also ordered the Pie & Pastry CB, too.

I have the Cake Bible on my lap right now and am sneaking a few peeks while working…shame!! I see some recipes that are called ‘low cholesterol’ cakes. I figured you had tried some of these and wondered what you thought. While looking through the book, some of the names where ringing a bell. I will have much more time after Christmas to explore and figure out which ones to do first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hope you are having a good day!!

Abbey

Hi Abbey! How exciting! You are about to have a lot of fun!

I have tried several of the recipes listed as low or no cholesterol; mainly the loaves because my husband is a big loaf fan. Everything I’ve tried has been great. I also have used Rose’s techniques and recommendations about eggs/egg whites with recipes written by other authors. I can’t remember a time Rose’s tips weren’t perfect for me.

Many of the members have more experience with TCB and TP&PB; than I. Although I have those books, as well as The Bread Bible, Rose’s Christmas Cookies (one to definitely get!!), The Melting Pot and Celebrations,  I have not made as many recipes as I would have liked. 

Keep me posted as to your baking adventure.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Posted: 15 December 2013 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flour girl,

I have the Christmas cookie CB and love it. I spent quite a bit of time looking through the TCB and TP&PB; last night, so I’m just beginning to learn!! I made Rose’s pumpkin cake tonight, but used sweet potatoes instead and what a wonderful flavor it had. I meant to use part egg whites, but forgot. Next time!!

I posted some pictures of it under CRenee’s post ‘Sweet Potato in Heritage Pan’, where I got the idea to bake that particular bread. That was gr8 fun!!

See you around!!

Abbey

Posted: 17 December 2013 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 15 December 2013 10:48 PM

Hi Flour girl,

I have the Christmas cookie CB and love it. I spent quite a bit of time looking through the TCB and TP&PB; last night, so I’m just beginning to learn!! I made Rose’s pumpkin cake tonight, but used sweet potatoes instead and what a wonderful flavor it had. I meant to use part egg whites, but forgot. Next time!!

I posted some pictures of it under CRenee’s post ‘Sweet Potato in Heritage Pan’, where I got the idea to bake that particular bread. That was gr8 fun!!

See you around!!

Abbey

Hi Abbey,  I haven’t been able to get on line for the past 26 hours. My computer was down due to an issue in the neighborhood.  I did check out your cake. Perfect! I am going to try it too.  What did you use for sweet potatoes ?

Posted: 17 December 2013 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hello Flour Girl,

Well, I’m glad you’re back!! smile

I just used regular sweet potatoes, but the trick is to roast them in the oven or the microwave. Not boiled. The flavor is so much better!! I would love to make the cake taste more like sweet potatoes, somehow. We’ll have to work on that. wink

If you are talking yams or sweet potatoes, I think sweet potatoes are much more common, but I have seen yams, from time to time. Taste test!!

Well, let me know how things go and, as always, really looking forward to hearing from you.

Have a real good day!! 

Abbey

Posted: 17 December 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 17 December 2013 08:05 AM

Hello Flour Girl,

Well, I’m glad you’re back!! smile

I just used regular sweet potatoes, but the trick is to roast them in the oven or the microwave. Not boiled. The flavor is so much better!! I would love to make the cake taste more like sweet potatoes, somehow. We’ll have to work on that. wink

If you are talking yams or sweet potatoes, I think sweet potatoes are much more common, but I have seen yams, from time to time. Taste test!!

Well, let me know how things go and, as always, really looking forward to hearing from you.

Have a real good day!! 

Abbey

Hi Abbey,

I was wondering if you used canned sweet potatoes.  It sounds like this cake should be included in my Christmas baking, which, by the way, has still not been decided.

What will you be baking?

I just received Rose’s Celebrations and The Melting Pot. I have to sit down with them and pick something to make. That will be a tough choice because, so far, I want to make everything in the books.

Posted: 17 December 2013 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

FG,

Canned SPs would be fine. Hmmm—I wonder how they process them. It is a cake worth including in your holiday plans-not difficult, very flavorful and so pretty. 

I know what you mean. Honestly, I never really know what I’m baking, until the last minute, though I’ll have a general idea, it just all comes together naturally, usually!! smile 

I will fix oatmeal cookies for my niece, chocolate pudding pie for my sisters and, since everyone seems to like the German chocolate cake and, because I didn’t get it right the first time, will do it again.

Are those newer cookbooks by Rose? They sound very interesting! 

Ab

Posted: 17 December 2013 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 17 December 2013 01:19 PM

FG,

Canned SPs would be fine. Hmmm—I wonder how they process them. It is a cake worth including in your holiday plans-not difficult, very flavorful and so pretty. 

I know what you mean. Honestly, I never really know what I’m baking, until the last minute, though I’ll have a general idea, it just all comes together naturally, usually!! smile 

I will fix oatmeal cookies for my niece, chocolate pudding pie for my sisters and, since everyone seems to like the German chocolate cake and, because I didn’t get it right the first time, will do it again.

Are those newer cookbooks by Rose? They sound very interesting! 

Ab

Hmmm, my family loves chocolate pudding pie and I love oatmeal cookies.

As a matter of fact, yes, Rose is coming out with a new book in 2015. It will be called The Baking Bible.  Rose has posted about it on her blog. This is one book I cannot wait to get!!

HERE is a search of multiple discussions about her up-coming book found on Rose’s blog.

And HERE is a discussion of her book on the forum.

I think you have her most current books.

There is also Rose’s Celebrations and Rose’s Melting Pot which I just got. In them are many new recipes and a few old favorites, great ideas and stunning presentations.

Also, Rose is mentioned and has a recipe in many books. Probably way more than I even know about.

Have a good day Abbey. My oven is ready, I’m going to bake now. Bye!

Posted: 18 December 2013 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Are you still baking? smile What did you bake?

I haven’t had a chance to read all of about Rose’s new cookbook, but I know I love the looks of the RCB-the white cover is so appealing. I do love the inside of the RHC, with all the pics!! 

I use the recipe from the oatmeal lid for the cookies and add a bag of toffee bits, not the chocolate covered ones!!

Let’s hear about your baking, flourgirl…:)

Oh, and I figured CRenee was talking about the pumpking cake in the RHC cookbook, the one that was shaped like a real pumpkin. I think anyway.

Later—Abeey+

Posted: 19 December 2013 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 18 December 2013 11:52 AM

Are you still baking? smile What did you bake?

I haven’t had a chance to read all of about Rose’s new cookbook, but I know I love the looks of the RCB-the white cover is so appealing. I do love the inside of the RHC, with all the pics!! 

I use the recipe from the oatmeal lid for the cookies and add a bag of toffee bits, not the chocolate covered ones!!

Let’s hear about your baking, flourgirl…:)

Oh, and I figured CRenee was talking about the pumpking cake in the RHC cookbook, the one that was shaped like a real pumpkin. I think anyway.

Later—Abeey+

Hi Abbey, 

I love RHC!  It is my favorite book. I haven’t even begun to delve into that book because everything I have tried, so far, has been so extraordinary, I am always asked to bake it again. My son gave up sweets so I am baking a little less for now. I don’t anticipate him lasting too long with 3 cakes on the kitchen counter all the time. My kitchen looks like a bakery .

Which recipe is on your oatmeal lid?

I was thinking the recipe must be the pumpkin recipe in RHC too. Oh darn! I was out today and forgot to get sweet potatoes ! Tomorrow, for sure.

I baked the Wacky (Wowie) cake using almond flour for the cocoa. I think I have made this cake more than any other. Jeanne recommended it to me when I was struggling with high cholesterol. I think I posted a pic once before but I took a pic yesterday anyway.

Here it is.

It’s a Vegan cake, very moist and really good.  I initially would glaze the cake or dust with powdered sugar but I have stopped because it really needs no adornmeant at all.

How are you enjoying your new books?  Have you selected anything to bake next?

Image Attachments
phpoI2Y3ZPM.jpgphp5if8aBPM.jpg

Posted: 19 December 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

That looks beautiful and perfect, Flourgirl—Good job!!!!! I should try that one, don’t cha think?! What else did you bake?

The recipe on the lid of the oatmeal box is for the oatmeal cookies. It is a good one, as long as you add the toffee. smile

I love that RHC book and agree with you totally!! I’ll be reading the Pie & Pastry, because I need to make some desserts, as gifts, for my bosses here at work. This weekend is supposed to be very “wintry”,  so I’m counting on that to get me in the kitchen.

Good luck with the sweet potato cake. Sounds like you are having a blast! smile

Enjoy!! 

Abbey

Posted: 19 December 2013 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 19 December 2013 10:27 AM

That looks beautiful and perfect, Flourgirl—Good job!!!!! I should try that one, don’t cha think?! What else did you bake?

The recipe on the lid of the oatmeal box is for the oatmeal cookies. It is a good one, as long as you add the toffee. smile

I love that RHC book and agree with you totally!! I’ll be reading the Pie & Pastry, because I need to make some desserts, as gifts, for my bosses here at work. This weekend is supposed to be very “wintry”,  so I’m counting on that to get me in the kitchen.

Good luck with the sweet potato cake. Sounds like you are having a blast! smile

Enjoy!! 

Abbey

Hi Abbey,

Yes, this is a good cake to satisfy your snack-craving and it will be good to your cholesterol. The recipe calls for natural cocoa powder but you can sub the same amount of almond flour in place of the cocoa.

Ooooo! The PPB is amazing! I only made 1 pie, the American Apple. My husband thought it was the best apple pie he ever had and he was raised on apple pies.

You are lucky to have a little window to bake. Time has escaped me. I need my baking complete by this Saturday for a party. My fantasy of baking so many things has sharply reduced to one, or maybe two cakes. I will be bringing the salad too. Everyone loves my salad. it is Sophie’s Chopped Salad from Bobby Flay’s Mesa Cookbook.

After Saturday I will be able to concentrate on Christmas Eve and day. If I can’t bake the sweet potato cake by Saturday, I will make it for Christmas. 

I wonder if I can put that cake in my Christmas tree bundt pan. It has so much detail, it it sticks I will be very upset. The pan you baked it in is perfect.

Have a good day Abbey.

Posted: 19 December 2013 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Howdy Flourgirl,

I don’t usually have trouble with cakes sticking, but had noticed that spray w/flour and didn’t buy it until I saw Rose used it. It really works. You might try that and I bet you won’t have any trouble at all. That would look very nice.

I think you helped me decide what cake to bake, for me, anyway. I love the idea of using almond flour instead—-one of my favorite flavors.  Thanks!!

After tonight, well, more like tomorrow, I will be free to do as I please. No more shopping, Grandma will be with her daughter, and I have all next week off. I can’t wait!!!!!!

I hope everything works out for you and I will let you know if I get a pie made from the PPB.  It takes me so long to decided, but probably apple or maybe pear. They have some beautiful pears in the store these days. 

Good luck with the sweet potato cake-wait, I already said that. smile  See ya!!

5 of 8