6 of 8
Fifty days ‘til…...
Posted: 20 December 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 19 December 2013 04:57 PM

Howdy Flourgirl,

I don’t usually have trouble with cakes sticking, but had noticed that spray w/flour and didn’t buy it until I saw Rose used it. It really works. You might try that and I bet you won’t have any trouble at all. That would look very nice.

I think you helped me decide what cake to bake, for me, anyway. I love the idea of using almond flour instead—-one of my favorite flavors.  Thanks!!

After tonight, well, more like tomorrow, I will be free to do as I please. No more shopping, Grandma will be with her daughter, and I have all next week off. I can’t wait!!!!!!

I hope everything works out for you and I will let you know if I get a pie made from the PPB.  It takes me so long to decided, but probably apple or maybe pear. They have some beautiful pears in the store these days. 

Good luck with the sweet potato cake-wait, I already said that. smile  See ya!!

Hi Abbey,

I don’t have a problem with sticking either but the cake in the Christmas tree bundt did have a fuzzy crust. There is a whole-lot of detail inside that pan.  I think my problem originated when I greased and floured the pan and then sprayed it. Today I will just use Bakers Joy. BJ is my go-to weapon when I cannot have a cake stick. For most baking, though, I use Spectrum’s version.

This morning I will be baking the Golden Lemon Almond cake in the Christmas tree bundt. Not sure what I’m baking this afternoon. 

I did buy both fresh and canned sweet potatoes. I’ll probably use the fresh and return the can.

What are you baking today?

Posted: 20 December 2013 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Dear Flourgirl,

How was your day? I had to work but tried to look up recipes for a pie. Searched and searched, without any luck, then came home, looked in the Rose’s P&PB; and found exactly what I needed. She is good. I still need to read some more but at least I have a good idea now. I bought a variety of pears so it should be wonderful.

Did your cake turn out okay? I’d love to see a pic of it, if you have time. I looked at that recipe and thought it would be fun to bake. I went to the grocery store during lunch, bought a car load of food and forgot the lemons. I’ll shop early in the morning and get back before it starts to snow. I think we’ll have a White Christmas. Yeah!!

Talk to you later!! smile

Posted: 22 December 2013 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 20 December 2013 09:33 PM

Hi Dear Flourgirl,

How was your day? I had to work but tried to look up recipes for a pie. Searched and searched, without any luck, then came home, looked in the Rose’s P&PB; and found exactly what I needed. She is good. I still need to read some more but at least I have a good idea now. I bought a variety of pears so it should be wonderful.

Did your cake turn out okay? I’d love to see a pic of it, if you have time. I looked at that recipe and thought it would be fun to bake. I went to the grocery store during lunch, bought a car load of food and forgot the lemons. I’ll shop early in the morning and get back before it starts to snow. I think we’ll have a White Christmas. Yeah!!

Talk to you later!! smile

Hi Abbey,

I’m so glad you found what you were looking for. Which recipe are you considering?  The Pie And Pastry Bible is a tomb. I can’t imagine anyone not finding something delicious to make within it’s pages. I’m certain whatever you make will be wonderful.

I’m glad you are going to make the Golden Lemon Almond Cake.  I learned that 1/4 tsp of lemon oil equals 1 tsp zest, if that helps. I used 1TB (3 tsp) of zest for the 3/4 tsp of lemon oil.

I just got home from our family Christmas party. It’s late but I couldn’t wait to tell you about the cakes. I made The Golden Lemon Almond and the Whipped Cream Cake. Both were smash-hits! I came home with two empty cake carriers and crumbs.

My husband doesn’t like lemon. Tonight he told me he wants me to make that cake again and that it was truly delicious.

I love the Nordic Ware Christmas tree pan.  Everyone loved eating a tree and thought it was so cute.  One of my sisters-in-law brought the cake to everyone’s table and told them it was mountains lol.

Tomorrow I am baking 2 Many Splendid Quick Breads to give to my father-in-law with his gift.

i hope you don’t get too much snow. Be careful on the roads when you go to the store.

Good night.

Image Attachments
unnamed-3.jpgunnamed-2.jpgunnamed.jpg

Posted: 22 December 2013 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

HI Flourgirl.

Those cakes look really cool—haha—mountains smile So festive. You made me search the cupboards for a festive pan and found one with roses, that I used for a birthday cake. Fun, fun!!

No need to worry, not much snow, and the freezing rain held off longer than they predicted yesterday morning, so I’m good to go(or stay).

Thanks for the help. All help is always welcome and needed. smile

The recipe I found in the Pie and Pastry CB is “The Best All-American Apple Pie”. But, Rose also included a paragraph about making a pear pie, using the same recipe, but instead of using the spices, so the flavor of the pears shine through, is exactly what I wanted. Perfect. Like I said, I had searched for just a simple pear pie and finally found Rose’s recipe. I should be able to make that today, esp. since I read her comment about letting it sit for up to 3 days which really enhances the flavor of the pears. OM, this should be a fabulous pie. I just hope I can make it pretty too. wink

I’m glad everyone loved your cakes. You did a good job, I’m sure, and have fun fixing your breads. I’m rested up and ready to hit the kitchen soon. Have a gr8 day dear girl.   

Posted: 22 December 2013 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 22 December 2013 09:56 AM

HI Flourgirl.

Those cakes look really cool—haha—mountains smile So festive. You made me search the cupboards for a festive pan and found one with roses, that I used for a birthday cake. Fun, fun!!

No need to worry, not much snow, and the freezing rain held off longer than they predicted yesterday morning, so I’m good to go(or stay).

The recipe I found in the Pie and Pastry CB is “The Best All-American Apple Pie”. But, Rose also included a paragraph about making a pear pie, using the same recipe, but instead of using the spices, so the flavor of the pears shine through, is exactly what I wanted. Perfect. Like I said, I had searched for just a simple pear pie and finally found Rose’s recipe. I should be able to make that today, esp. since I read her comment about letting it sit for up to 3 days which really enhances the flavor of the pears. OM, this should be a fabulous pie. I just hope I can make it pretty too. wink

I’m glad everyone loved your cakes. You did a good job, I’m sure, and have fun fixing your breads. I’m rested up and ready to hit the kitchen soon. Have a gr8 day dear girl.   

Hi Abbey,

The Best All-American Apple Pie is the one I made. It was my first (and last so far) pie I ever made. My family LOVED it! I don’t know if I can make pie crusts for a long time, if ever. When I made this pie I had to almost lay on the counter to get my body weight to help me roll the dough. Since my accident in May, I have only 7lbs of strength in my right arm, 30lbs in the left.  It’s great to know pears can be substituted. I didn’t actually read the page in its entirity. My family prefers pears to apples in baking.

Here is a pic of my one and only pie:

I’m glad to hear you aren’t dealing with snow. I don’t drive in it if I can help it.

Are you all ready for Christmas?

Image Attachments
phpX7z16yAM.jpgphpPAMfoEAM.jpgphp04sQ2JAM.jpg

Posted: 23 December 2013 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl,

That really looks delicious. You did a good job esp since your arm is hurt and I do worry about that - it seems they could do something for you. I know it is unthinkable, but you should use the frozen pie crusts smile. Or have your man roll out the dough.

I started reading Rose’s procedures for this pie and realized it would take much more time than I thought. Neighbors brought cookies yesterday and we visited for quite some time. I’ll make all the traditional dishes, so the family won’t be disappointed. We all get together on Christmas Eve, so I’m thinking that maybe Christmas Day will be the perfect day for pie baking. 

I got all ‘wrapped up’ in presents, yesterday, too, but now I’m ready for Christmas! Do you travel or stay home? The roads are icy here, but no more snow in the forecast.

Enjoy! 

Posted: 23 December 2013 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 23 December 2013 08:03 AM

Hi Flourgirl,

That really looks delicious. You did a good job esp since your arm is hurt and I do worry about that - it seems they could do something for you. I know it is unthinkable, but you should use the frozen pie crusts smile. Or have your man roll out the dough.

I started reading Rose’s procedures for this pie and realized it would take much more time than I thought. Neighbors brought cookies yesterday and we visited for quite some time. I’ll make all the traditional dishes, so the family won’t be disappointed. We all get together on Christmas Eve, so I’m thinking that maybe Christmas Day will be the perfect day for pie baking. 

I got all ‘wrapped up’ in presents, yesterday, too, but now I’m ready for Christmas! Do you travel or stay home? The roads are icy here, but no more snow in the forecast.

Enjoy! 

Hi Abbey,

This is the first pie I ever made. As a child, I was not exposed to baking cakes or pies. I never ate pies. On the other hand, my husband grew up with fresh pies as a frequent event.

I made this pie a few years ago, way before my accident. It took me 12 hours start to finish. I am certain it was just me and not the recipe. There is a pie section on this forum. Everyone else has positive experiences. I think I was afraid to mess up and was extra cautious.

I know it took me a long time but it was well-worth the effort. My husband thought this was the best pie he ever had.  He does not placate me when it comes to my baking. I insist on an honest review from everyone in relation to my baking. 

Are you finished with everything you had to do for Christmas?

Posted: 25 December 2013 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Merry Christmas!!

Yes, I prefer an honest opinion but, sometimes it is not easy getting the truth so, the best way to really tell is if they keep asking for more. smile I made those oatmeal cookies for our party last night and one of my friends said she thought I could make $ selling them. She loves them so much that she always asks about them. I just started telling her it’s “Magic”. She loves that answer!

I just cleaned up around here so I’m getting ready to read more about making that pie. I enjoyed some Bailey’s last night, so I will be taking it easy today. I will get that pie made though, and will take it to work on Monday.  I really am looking forward to it.

Talk to you soon.   

Posted: 25 December 2013 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-18
Flour Girl - 22 December 2013 11:54 AM

HI Flourgirl.

Hi Abbey,

The Best All-American Apple Pie is the one I made. It was my first (and last so far) pie I ever made. My family LOVED it! I don’t know if I can make pie crusts for a long time, if ever. When I made this pie I had to almost lay on the counter to get my body weight to help me roll the dough. Since my accident in May, I have only 7lbs of strength in my right arm, 30lbs in the left.  It’s great to know pears can be substituted. I didn’t actually read the page in its entirity. My family prefers pears to apples in baking.

I’m glad to hear you aren’t dealing with snow. I don’t drive in it if I can help it.

FLOUR GIRL:
      Good afternoon. Flour Girl, I enjoyed your photo’s of your APPLE PIE. I honestly think you did a very good job of it for a fruit pie beginner.

Flour girl, sorry to learn of your accident which cause’s you limitations in your baking.

You expressed honest opinions from others, or as I like to ask of others when I gift to my friends. I would like constructive opinions…PLEASE !!!!

Flour girl, take notice of pic#3 Where the pie has a slice out of it. Notice the VOID from the top crust & the top of the apples.red face

If you wish to eliminate that you need to have at least 75% fat in the recipe & then as the apples “HOT~UP” & render it’s juices & then as a result reduce in size The pie pastry will be ‘PLIABLE” sufficiently to follow suit & Walla no void.

There is another way to do the same thing. It is more work….cook the apples first & as a result the apples will render it’s juices & then when the pie is assembled & baked there is no juice rendering. TOO much work. My way is better…I THINK (LOL).

If you wish help with the pie pastry I can do that. Just post the recipe amounts & I will adfjust it for 75/80% fat for you.

Good luck & “SEASONS GREETING’S” to you & yours.grin

~FRESHKID.wink

Posted: 26 December 2013 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
~FRESHKID - 25 December 2013 05:05 PM
Flour Girl - 22 December 2013 11:54 AM

HI Flourgirl.

Hi Abbey,

FLOUR GIRL:
      Good afternoon. Flour Girl, I enjoyed your photo’s of your APPLE PIE. I honestly think you did a very good job of it for a fruit pie beginner.

Flour girl, sorry to learn of your accident which cause’s you limitations in your baking.

You expressed honest opinions from others, or as I like to ask of others when I gift to my friends. I would like constructive opinions…PLEASE !!!!

Flour girl, take notice of pic#3 Where the pie has a slice out of it. Notice the VOID from the top crust & the top of the apples.red face

If you wish to eliminate that you need to have at least 75% fat in the recipe & then as the apples “HOT~UP” & render it’s juices & then as a result reduce in size The pie pastry will be ‘PLIABLE” sufficiently to follow suit & Walla no void.

There is another way to do the same thing. It is more work….cook the apples first & as a result the apples will render it’s juices & then when the pie is assembled & baked there is no juice rendering. TOO much work. My way is better…I THINK (LOL).

If you wish help with the pie pastry I can do that. Just post the recipe amounts & I will adfjust it for 75/80% fat for you.

Good luck & “SEASONS GREETING’S” to you & yours.grin

~FRESHKID.wink

Hi!

I hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Thank you ~FRESHKID! You are always so helpful! I appreciate your help so much.

I followed Rose’s recipe exactly. However, I had a hard time with the crust because it was my first exposure to dough.  As a child I was not exposed to baking or pie making. I doubt I will have the strength to make a pie dough again as my injury created a deformity in my right arm/hand which seems to be permanent.

If I do attempt a pie, may I call on you for guidance at that time?

Thank you!

Posted: 26 December 2013 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi dear flourgirl and~FK—-im typing on my kindle Cu’s I’m being lazy and I have a good movie playing on the Tv / Pc screen.
Anyway;)! I was all absorbed in Townshend’ s bio but made myself stop to read more about pie making smile ANd..

I just cant decide which pie crust to go with. I love the name “flaky goose” recipe and the cheddar cheese would be good with pears? Minus the pepper? I was thinking about what FK said about the void and found interesting something Rose wrote about making sure apples where sliced thinly so no air space lies between them cuz during baking they sink lower in the pan causing the void.

~Freshkid. You have a quicker method. Id love to hear.  Ive used cream cheese for piecrst but after reading how it isn’t as flaky as the only butter recipe….

I have never tried Rose’s method for extracting the juices over a colander. I have plenty of time to do this and I’m sure it would be amazing. I keep rereading so ill have it stuck in my head. 

So, that’s my progress..mostly preparing mentally with all weekend to get it done right. I hope;)  thanks for any help.

Abbey

Posted: 27 December 2013 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Extracting the juices is well worth the effort,. the filling was amazing and so was the crust.

Keep us posted Abbey!

Posted: 27 December 2013 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-18
abbey - 26 December 2013 07:12 PM

Hi dear flourgirl and~FK—-im typing on my kindle Cu’s I’m being lazy and I have a good movie playing on the Tv / Pc screen.
Anyway;)! I was all absorbed in Townshend’ s bio but made myself stop to read more about pie making smile ANd..

I just cant decide which pie crust to go with. I love the name “flaky goose” recipe and the cheddar cheese would be good with pears? Minus the pepper? I was thinking about what FK said about the void and found interesting something Rose wrote about making sure apples where sliced thinly so no air space lies between them cuz during baking they sink lower in the pan causing the void.

~Freshkid. You have a quicker method. Id love to hear.  Ive used cream cheese for piecrst but after reading how it isn’t as flaky as the only butter recipe….

I have never tried Rose’s method for extracting the juices over a colander. I have plenty of time to do this and I’m sure it would be amazing. I keep rereading so ill have it stuck in my head. 

So, that’s my progress..mostly preparing mentally with all weekend to get it done right. I hope;)  thanks for any help.

Abbey

ABBEY:
    Good morning. Abbey, all you have to do in any pie pastry recipe you would like to employ is increase the fat, ie, Butter, Cream Cheese, Shortening & or Lard so that the weight of the fat divided by the amount of the weight of the flour will be 75% or higher… in some I have seen as much as 87%. Also you may include in the weight of the fat other ingredients like sour cream or yogurt. Some recipes sport a oz or so of either. In the past i have included some as well.

The dough then becomes PLIABLE…so when the fruit reduces in height because of the evaporation of the juices that the fruit excretes, the pie dough will follow suit & leave no void.

I hope this information will help you.  Enjoy the holidays my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 27 December 2013 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Good Afternoon, ~FRESHKID,

Thank YOU very much and, yes, that helps me understand what is happening with the dough and the fruit. Adding yogurt to make up the fat content is perfect-I like it.

Thanks Again for your help and I’ll keep you posted. You are a very nice KID!! smile

Flourgirl-I agree with you totally and look forward to preparing the fruit. Excellent way to get the best flavor. I hope to share with you tonight, but if not, definitely this weekend.

I had a good Christmas! Thanks!! 

Abbey

Posted: 29 December 2013 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 27 December 2013 03:14 PM

Good Afternoon, ~FRESHKID,

Thank YOU very much and, yes, that helps me understand what is happening with the dough and the fruit. Adding yogurt to make up the fat content is perfect-I like it.

Thanks Again for your help and I’ll keep you posted. You are a very nice KID!! smile

Flourgirl-I agree with you totally and look forward to preparing the fruit. Excellent way to get the best flavor. I hope to share with you tonight, but if not, definitely this weekend.

I had a good Christmas! Thanks!! 

Abbey

Hi Abbey

I’m glad you had a good Christmas. I did too and it’s nice to be getting back to normal.

I’m looking forward to hearing about your baking.

I actually made a pie. A sweet potato pie. The recipe is from Back In The Day Bakery Cookbook. I was able to make a crust because it is not rolled; it is pressed into the pie plate.  My husband said it was the best sweet potato pie he ever had. But then, he has not tried a Rose sweet potato pie ( I could not find a recipe). I did notice Rose has crusts where rolling is not necessary. I’ll be looking into making them in the future .

I also made peanut butter and jelly bars from the Back In The Day book.  Awesome!

6 of 8