7 of 8
Fifty days ‘til…...
Posted: 29 December 2013 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  167
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flour Girl,

I looked for a sweet potato pie in the Rose’s Pie and Pastry cookbook. Also searched google and found Prettycake’s thread, talking about pressed crusts. I think she was talking about a shortbread crust that she thought would work well with a sweet potato pie. 

Speaking of crusts, I didn’t do a very good job last night, while mixing Rose’s Deluxe Pie Crust recipe. I froze the cubed butter, put the flour mix in the freezer, made sure I had ice water, etc. Somehow, while in the food processor, I wasn’t seeing the mixture form into the size of small lima beans, but I continued and when I added the water and cider vinegar, it was obvious something was wrong. It definitely needed more flour, but the harder I tried to fix it, the worse it got.

Well, the fruit was draining in the colander and I figured I’d better do something instead of giving up for the evening. So, to be safe, I made the ‘easy’ cream cheese crust recipe I’d used before without any problems, ha!! I didn’t roll it out thin enough so it was not flaky at all. I think it was one of those night when I should have gust stayed out of the kitchen.

That Back in the day cookbook is pretty cool. I might have to get that one. I tried to find the PB&J bar recipe on line.

So, I’m glad you enjoyed your sweet potato pie. It is my favorite!

smile

Posted: 30 December 2013 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 29 December 2013 06:28 PM

Hi Flour Girl,

I looked for a sweet potato pie in the Rose’s Pie and Pastry cookbook. Also searched google and found Prettycake’s thread, talking about pressed crusts. I think she was talking about a shortbread crust that she thought would work well with a sweet potato pie. 

Speaking of crusts, I didn’t do a very good job last night, while mixing Rose’s Deluxe Pie Crust recipe. I froze the cubed butter, put the flour mix in the freezer, made sure I had ice water, etc. Somehow, while in the food processor, I wasn’t seeing the mixture form into the size of small lima beans, but I continued and when I added the water and cider vinegar, it was obvious something was wrong. It definitely needed more flour, but the harder I tried to fix it, the worse it got.

Well, the fruit was draining in the colander and I figured I’d better do something instead of giving up for the evening. So, to be safe, I made the ‘easy’ cream cheese crust recipe I’d used before without any problems, ha!! I didn’t roll it out thin enough so it was not flaky at all. I think it was one of those night when I should have gust stayed out of the kitchen.

That Back in the day cookbook is pretty cool. I might have to get that one. I tried to find the PB&J bar recipe on line.

So, I’m glad you enjoyed your sweet potato pie. It is my favorite!

smile

Hello Abbey,

I’m sorry you had such difficulty with your pie crust.  There is a section of this forum devoted to pies. The members here are so informed and talented. I’m sure they can help you. 

My pie crust from Back In The Day was good but not without issues. I made the bottom too thick and the sides too thin. When I went to remove the pie from the oven I held onto the lip of the pie plate and accidentally removed the crust from under my grip on both sides.  Pies take practice in my opinion.

Here is the recipe for PB & J Bars from Back In The Day:

http://onceuponaloaf.com/2012/03/back-in-the-day-bakery-cookbook-review-and-pbj-bars-3/

The book is EXCELLENT! Everything I made has been over-the-top delicious. All my guests were actually taken by surprise by how delicious these bars were.

I made several things from that book for Christmas. The Sweet Potato Pie, The PB&G Bars and the Rhubarb And Strawberry Crisp.  Everything a winner.

I hesitated for a year before buying this book. At first glance the recipes seemed to contain too much of the things I consider unhealthy;  but, when I compared recipes to my favs in other books, the butter was equal to streusel cakes I make on a regular basis.

I certainly intend to avoid the recipes which have an excess of the ingredients I consider unhealthy but I already do that with every book I own.

Image Attachments
phpXv9LJeAM.jpg

Posted: 30 December 2013 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

That really looks good. I got a $25 gift card from work and just added that CB, along with the Nordic Bundt pan to my cart and the total is only $17. I just might hit go!!

Thanks for the recipe and for the advice to ask about my problems with the pie crust. I don’t won’t to bother them esp. since it was probably just me-I couldn’t even make the easy pie curst right so I’ll just try it again one day when my brain is functioning better!

Pies do take practice and I learned a lot from this one and look forward to trying it again.  I think you are very wise to watch your ingredients. It doesn’t really take much to improve the healthiness of a dessert and why not!!

Thanks for you help Flour Girl and the pic. Here’s one for you. It is the pie I just baked. You can see the crust was not done. It should have baked a lot longer but we finished it off here at work today and I didn’t hear anyone complaining. smile

Image Attachments
pp.jpg

Posted: 31 December 2013 01:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 30 December 2013 06:29 PM

That really looks good. I got a $25 gift card from work and just added that CB, along with the Nordic Bundt pan to my cart and the total is only $17. I just might hit go!!

Thanks for the recipe and for the advice to ask about my problems with the pie crust. I don’t won’t to bother them esp. since it was probably just me-I couldn’t even make the easy pie curst right so I’ll just try it again one day when my brain is functioning better!

Pies do take practice and I learned a lot from this one and look forward to trying it again.  I think you are very wise to watch your ingredients. It doesn’t really take much to improve the healthiness of a dessert and why not!!

Thanks for you help Flour Girl and the pic. Here’s one for you. It is the pie I just baked. You can see the crust was not done. It should have baked a lot longer but we finished it off here at work today and I didn’t hear anyone complaining. smile

Hi Abbey! Your pie looks luscious ! You did a great job!  Don’t worry about bothering anyone. Everyone who participates really wants to help. I’m sorry I can’t be more help in pies. I actually need more help than you.

That is a really cool gift. I love gift cards. They are my favorite gift to receive. I’m so glad you got the things you wanted. I’m looking forward to seeing some beautiful cakes in that Bundt pan.

What baking plans do you have coming up? I’m thinking of making the sweet potato Bundt CRenee suggested, using Rose’s pumpkin cake recipe. Hmmm, sounds like a plan.

Have a good night grin

Posted: 01 January 2014 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Morning Flour girl~

Go for it. wink Sounds like a good plan to me esp since that is one of the best cakes. I noticed several cans of pumpkin puree in the cupboard this morning, so I could do that too. But I’m thinking about those apples I bought last week for an apple pie.  Might as well try it again to see if I can get it right. We’ll see though since there is plenty of house work to do first and then back to work on Thurs.

Okay, I won’t worry about bugging anyone and I’m sure you are right about them wanting to help. Everyone is very helpful here and I really enjoy reading on this forum. Speaking of CRenee, she posted a recipe called, Mom’s Chocolate Cake, or something like that about a week ago or so and I will be baking that one of these days.

Let me know how you are getting along with your baking and I will do the same.

Happy New Year!! And thank you for your help and thoughts.

Abbey

Posted: 02 January 2014 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey, Happy New Year !

Did you spend your day off baking? I’m interested to learn what you decided to bake.

I didn’t bake today at all. We woke late and that put the entire day off balance. I don’t know what I am baking tomorrow yet. I’m going to browse through my books and see what looks good for tomorrow.

Good night.

Posted: 03 January 2014 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Good New YEar Flour Girl. smile

I haven’t baked a thing so I’m looking forward to it this weekend. Getting back to normal is not easy after these holidays and this cold weather, but I’m seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. It’s Friday, so I can breath a sigh of relief and start thinking about my favorite past-time. 

What did you bake? I’m always interested to know!!! wink

Abbey

Posted: 04 January 2014 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you!

I know it’s hard. I have been dragging the past few days, myself,  but I feel better today.

I baked the carrot cake in Back In The Day. I baked half the recipe because I prefer single layer cakes. It’s an oil based cake and uses 2 eggs, which is acceptable to me.

It is very light.  I glazed it with a sugar glaze using confectioner’s sugar 140g, 1 tsp vanilla and 2 TB water. IMO, it put it over the top sweet. Next time I’ll omit the glaze. This cake really doesn’t need any help Here are the pics:

Image Attachments
phpznYCSsAM.jpgunnamed.jpgunnamed.jpgunnamed-2.jpg

Posted: 06 January 2014 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

That looks good flourgirl. I could use a bite of that right now. The flu got me sat night and haven’t eaten a thing since. Plus I missed my baking night. Haven’t ordered that CB yet either. But that carrot cake definitely gets my interest. You always inspire me and that’s a good thing. smile

I’m staying home today but doubt ill get anything baked. But I can always hope.

Glad you’re feeling better.

Posted: 07 January 2014 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 06 January 2014 09:08 AM

That looks good flourgirl. I could use a bite of that right now. The flu got me sat night and haven’t eaten a thing since. Plus I missed my baking night. Haven’t ordered that CB yet either. But that carrot cake definitely gets my interest. You always inspire me and that’s a good thing. smile

I’m staying home today but doubt ill get anything baked. But I can always hope.

Glad you’re feeling better.

Oh no! I’m sorry you have the flu. I hear a lot of people are suffering with the flu. It’s miserable!

I hope you are on the road to recovery.

Thank you Abbey. That cake is a keeper.

I have the ingredients for a blueberry buckle coming to room temperature right now. The recipe is from King Arhturs Flour Bakers Companion.

Sunday I baked the honey cake from Souther Cakes. It’s fine, not great.

I’ve been looking for a good honey cake to make for my uncle’s 94th birthday.  So far, the winner is the honey cake in Inside The Jewish Bakery. The recipe uses Buckwheat honey and rye flour.

I hope you feel better soon.

Posted: 07 January 2014 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I want to see that blueberry buckle, please. smile I think King Arthur’s CBs are good? You and Prettycake refer to them often.

I just read about buckwheat honey, oh, the things we can learn in this lifetime. I love it! That honey cake must be rich to include that honey and rye flour?

Congrats to your uncle. That’s pretty neat. You know I’ve been taking care of my Grandma who is 97 and almost every time I’m with her, we get to experience one of those priceless moments. Life is good. 

Speaking of life, I thought I was dying with that dang flu bug. It hit me in a second. One minute I was cooking dinner and the next I was down. I dragged myself to the Dr this morn and was told to go to work cause I was fine. Ha, I don’t feel fine but here I am working and wishing I were snuggled up at home with my dog. Yes everyone has it and it seems to be extra mean this year. 

Thank you for the sweet thoughts dear Flour girl and I hope your honey cake turns out perfectly for your uncle’s 94th birthday party. Sweet!!! Tell him I Wish him a Very Happy Birthday. smile 

Talk to you later.

Posted: 07 January 2014 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 07 January 2014 03:55 PM

I want to see that blueberry buckle, please. smile I think King Arthur’s CBs are good? You and Prettycake refer to them often.

I just read about buckwheat honey, oh, the things we can learn in this lifetime. I love it! That honey cake must be rich to include that honey and rye flour?

Congrats to your uncle. That’s pretty neat. You know I’ve been taking care of my Grandma who is 97 and almost every time I’m with her, we get to experience one of those priceless moments. Life is good. 

Speaking of life, I thought I was dying with that dang flu bug. It hit me in a second. One minute I was cooking dinner and the next I was down. I dragged myself to the Dr this morn and was told to go to work cause I was fine. Ha, I don’t feel fine but here I am working and wishing I were snuggled up at home with my dog. Yes everyone has it and it seems to be extra mean this year. 

Thank you for the sweet thoughts dear Flour girl and I hope your honey cake turns out perfectly for your uncle’s 94th birthday party. Sweet!!! Tell him I Wish him a Very Happy Birthday. smile 

Talk to you later.

Hi Abbey,

Geesh! You sound like you should be resting in bed.  I hope you are feeling better by now.

I don’t agree with sending people to work when they have a communicable illness. I had to go to work when I was sick. When one of us was sick, we all got sick. I don’t see the point of sending sick people to work.

I like King Arthur’s book but don’t use it as often as I should.  The recipes are good and easy. I think I have too many baking books. I keep making new things and forget about the recipes I once made.  I need to organize my favorites on the computer.

Thank you for the birthday wishes. I will tell my uncle. I don’t think he understands the concept of me having computer friends but I tell him about what I see and do online anyway.

Please send your Grandma my Happy New Year wishes.

Feel well soon Abbey!

The buckle came out deeeelish!! Here is a pic of it:

Image Attachments
unnamed-1.jpgunnamed.jpgunnamed-2.jpg

Posted: 08 January 2014 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Oh Man, I could use one of those right now. In fact, I’m calling First Watch-restaurant-and ordering a big breakfast including a pancake. smile

That looks good. Did you use fresh berries? Once I get on my feet, I’ll make those. I’m on my feet but I’d rather be lounging somewhere else. Hehe. I love my job and you should have seen them-the bosses-grinning when I showed up yesterday. Showing up is all that matters to them, so!!

I won’t expose any germs to my Grandma so I won’t be sitting with her this week. Good for her and for me because I need to rest up for our Christmas party this Saturday night and since they didnt’ give me antibiotics, I might have a glass of wine. There should be some splendid desserts.

You are very welcome and my grandma doesn’t quite understand either but she pretends and I get a real kick out of that. 

Good job on the buckle. A big glass of milk and one of those would be perfect right now. smile

Posted: 09 January 2014 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

It sounds like you have your appetite back, always a good sign when you have the flu.

I did use fresh blueberries but froze them.  This is really yummy.

I hope you are back up and baking soon grin

Posted: 14 January 2014 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flour girl

I’m back! My appetite is normal and I’m feeling so much better. That was a struggle.

Now, what to bake. Pretty cake’s pineapple pie keeps running through my mind and I know I have a can of pineapple. I just bought frozen blueberries and strawberries so I could whip up a buckle. smile

But, the one thing I really want to do is make an almond gallette. I might have to bug Prettycake but I’ll try my hardest, first.

Hope you are well, flourgill. I’ve missed chatting and baking. 

7 of 8