Refrigerator Banana Cake / Many Splendored Quick Bread
Posted: 04 November 2013 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2011-04-30

Hi,

1) I am wondering if I can use a loaf pan for the RHC Refrigerator banana cake instead of the round layer pans? The thickness of the pan may be an issue.
2) It seems to me that I like the recipe for the Many Splendored Quick Bread because it uses canola oil instead of butter compared to the banana cake; however, can I just substitute the zucchini and carrots for bananas instead? Moisture content of the vegetables vs. the bananas may be an issue; but is there a way to convert the recipe to an all banana bread instead?

Thanks.
Jack

Posted: 05 November 2013 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, JA!

I have used loaf pans for many of Rose’s “regular” cakes.  They come out a little flatter—and it works best in mini-loaf pans—but they are still wonderful.  Often, I let the filled pans sit on the counter for about 45 minutes to eliminate some of the Baking Powder (of course, you could just cut it a bit, but I can’t say by how much—I’d guess 1/8 tsp.)

This post shows Rose’s PAACBC baked in loaf pans, as compared to her chocolate bread and pound cake:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3086/  You .can see the mini PAACBC resembles the pound cakes a bit more than the full-size PAACBC loaf resembles the full-size pound cake loaf, but I think all are more than passable, especially for home and/or good friend consumption!

And this post shows the Southern Manhattan Coconut Cake baked as breads:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3054/

Can’t offer anything on the Splendored!

Hope that’s helpful!

—ak

Posted: 05 November 2013 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17
Jack Alix - 04 November 2013 06:44 PM

Hi,

1) I am wondering if I can use a loaf pan for the RHC Refrigerator banana cake instead of the round layer pans? The thickness of the pan may be an issue.
2) It seems to me that I like the recipe for the Many Splendored Quick Bread because it uses canola oil instead of butter compared to the banana cake; however, can I just substitute the zucchini and carrots for bananas instead? Moisture content of the vegetables vs. the bananas may be an issue; but is there a way to convert the recipe to an all banana bread instead?

Thanks.
Jack

Hi Jack,

I bake the Many Splendid Quick Bread all the time. I don’t see why you could not eliminate the veggies. The zucchini adds moisture. I would consider them add-ons. But, this bread is so perfect the way it is. I would *guess* you can replace the veggies with the same amount of walnuts if you so desire. I’m not a pro but I don’t see why that would not work.

There is the Refrigerator Banana Cake in RHC which uses canola oil and a banana butter cake in TCB.

Posted: 06 November 2013 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve made both these cakes and loved them, but I haven’t tried the modifications you mention.  It’s probably easier to bake a layer cake in a loaf pan than to do a major ingredient substitution.  Bananas naturally add a little structure to the cake and should help give a gently rounded top.  If you want more rounding, reduce the leavening and/or increase the oven temp.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up