Crusty Rolls with Freezability
Posted: 19 November 2008 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-11-19

Hey all!

I have a question (three-part) and wondering if you might be able to point me in the right direction - I’m just starting out at baking (at home) so my knowledge is very limited.  smile  I would like to be able to make small “crusty bread”, even roll sized.  I find that we buy the pre-baked ones a lot of these from the store and it adds up financially, so I’d love to be able to make my own.  The second part of the equation is that I’d love to be able to partially-bake or pre-bake some, freeze them, and then give them a second-bake on busy weeknights to go with dinner.  These are the kind I’ve been buying at the store, they seem to be baked already but are designed to be taken out of the freezer and thrown in the oven - very handy!  I know that this method won’t be nearly as good as baked-fresh-that-day, but that isn’t always an option for me, so this would be better than the alternative, which is nothing, or that I keep buying them from the store at a high price. 

So my question is…

1. Can you point me in the right direction of recipes that I might try to achieve small “crusty rolls” or very small bread?

2. Any tips on what might work to produce something that could be frozen and then baked a second time?  Such as ingredients that I would want to take special note of; would I only bake it for 3/4 of the original recipe time in the initial bake; etc? 

And slighly unrelated…
3.  Can any “crusty bread” recipe that is designed for a larger loaf be converted into a small loaf or roll size, or would the ingredient ratio need to change?

Thanks much for your time and knowledge!  smile

Jillian

Posted: 20 November 2008 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Jillian,

I don’t have any experience with the freezing part, but as far as getting crusty rolls, it is no different than regular bread, except that the baking time is shorter. Mist the rolls well before baking and also steam your oven.  For extra crispness, you can also crack open the oven door in the last five minutes of baking to release moisture. I would choose a hearth bread recipe and use bread flour for extra chewiness.