My week end baking :)
Posted: 09 November 2013 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2012-01-12

I made these tonight:  Pretzel Bread Rolls.  They taste exactly like Pretzels but very, very soft bread.  They are delicious.  My first time making them.
The baking soda in the boiling water where the dough is dipped for 30 seconds give the brown shine to it, plus the egg wash.
I used King Arthur bread flour and I was so amazed how good they came out.  The bread is so soft and silky. I have never used KA Bread flour b4.  I would never go back to regular AP flour.

Image Attachments
P1020726.JPG

Posted: 10 November 2013 03:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I made pretzels for Octoberfest. Yours look wonderful.smile

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 10 November 2013 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Those are gorgeous and sound delicious!  Thanks for the tip on the flour! What recipe did you use?  I’d love to throw it in my folder and make these sometime!

Posted: 10 November 2013 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank u Gene and Anne,
These were very easy to make. I got the recipe from Pinterest. The recipe is very simple. I replaced water w/ milk and used brown sugar instead of regular sugar. They just have to be rotated every 5 minutes to get a more even browness. And I also reduced the temp to 400 from 425f.

here is the recipe from Pinterest:  http://acooksquest.blogspot.com/2010/12/97-pretzel-rolls.html

Posted: 10 November 2013 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you!!!

Posted: 10 November 2013 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

How small do you think these could be made?  Like mini cream puff size? (one bite)?  Yesterday I was in Home Goods and saw some pretzel dipping sauces that I’d never seen before and it started me thinking about making sweet pretzels… this makes me wonder about making them small like a cream puff but with a sweet pretzel zing to dunk into something like those sauces….

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 10 November 2013 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
Jeanne - 10 November 2013 09:04 PM

How small do you think these could be made?  Like mini cream puff size? (one bite)?  Yesterday I was in Home Goods and saw some pretzel dipping sauces that I’d never seen before and it started me thinking about making sweet pretzels… this makes me wonder about making them small like a cream puff but with a sweet pretzel zing to dunk into something like those sauces….

Hi Jeanne,
I’m sure you can make them as small as you want. I made them like burger bun sizes to use for a sandwich. My son ate two for lunch with ham and cheese sandwich today.  Next time I will make them shaped like pretzels. I like your idea of dipping sauce. Maybe i can also make them really small and make them into a croquembouche, now that Christmas is coming.

Posted: 11 November 2013 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
Jeanne - 10 November 2013 09:04 PM

this makes me wonder about making them small like a cream puff but with a sweet pretzel zing to dunk into something like those sauces….

this sounds great, reminds me of yummmy things like chocolate covered pretzels and chubby hubby ice cream smile

FYI, Rose also has pretzel rolls in the Bread Bible, they call for a lye bath.  I use Harold McGee’s baked baking soda (calcium carbonate) in place of the lye when I make them.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 11 November 2013 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

My son ate two for lunch with ham and cheese sandwich

Boy, did this bring back a happy memory from my childhood.  My grandmother’s best friend, Adeline Ugino, made me a grilled soft pretzle, ham & cheese sandwich (“torting” the soft pretzle, buttering the insides and grilling, salt side in, with ham and cheese.  It was fabulous!!!

Posted: 11 November 2013 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

they are beautiful Prettycake. I think yours are nicer than those pictured on the blog.  They sure look so delicious.

Posted: 11 November 2013 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I had trouble keeping my pretzels small. It seemed no matter how small I thought I was making them by the time they proofed and sprung in the oven they were larger than I wanted. Keeping that classic pretzel shape with a hole in the middle is a challenge.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 11 November 2013 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
Flour Girl - 11 November 2013 11:23 AM

they are beautiful Prettycake. I think yours are nicer than those pictured on the blog.  They sure look so delicious.

Hi FlourGirl.
Thank U…  Pinterest shows a lot of recipes on almost everything under the sun.  I like to compare before I try one of them,  then I modify.
Like what Gene said here,  it is a challenge to keep them small.  But that is really not a bad thing.  It’s just a matter of making them to come out the way I want them to by cutting them into marble sizes.  But uniformity can be difficult.
As long as they come out the right taste and texture,  dealing with their size should be fine.

Posted: 11 November 2013 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 11 November 2013 03:06 PM
Flour Girl - 11 November 2013 11:23 AM

Hi FlourGirl.
Thank U…  Pinterest shows a lot of recipes on almost everything under the sun.  I like to compare before I try one of them,  then I modify.
Like what Gene said here,  it is a challenge to keep them small.  But that is really not a bad thing.  It’s just a matter of making them to come out the way I want them to by cutting them into marble sizes.  But uniformity can be difficult.
As long as they come out the right taste and texture,  dealing with their size should be fine.

I’ve only worked with yeast once before. I made the Kuchen recipe from Grand Central Bakery. I think I’m a little intimidated. Why? I don’t know.

My family would love this. 

Is the size crucial to success with this recipe?

Posted: 11 November 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi FG,

I would think that the smaller they are, the quicker the baking time is and I would turn down the temp if I am baking them really tiny. Watch it really closely for they turn brown quickly once they start to turn brown.

Posted: 12 November 2013 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 11 November 2013 08:07 PM

Hi FG,

I would think that the smaller they are, the quicker the baking time is and I would turn down the temp if I am baking them really tiny. Watch it really closely for they turn brown quickly once they start to turn brown.

Okay. Thank you for your help. I think I am going to jump in and give it a try. I have to tell you, I have a weakness for pretzels. I am going to have to give most of them away because they are dangerous to have in the house wink

I need to get yeast. I always use King Arthur’s Bread Flour. I use it in combinatorial with Pastry Flour for cakes ( not Roses ). So, after I get the yeast, I am good to go.

Thank you!

‹‹ Harvest is upon us      Hello All and a brag ››