Can you bake a large cake without a heating core?
Posted: 10 November 2013 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-11-10

Hi, I’m baking an 11” square RVC for my niece’s third birthday this weekend. I’ve never baked a cake this size before, and I was wondering if it will turn out alright without a heating core (I don’t own one but if it’s really necessary, I’ll buy it). I plan on using baking strips to make sure the sides aren’t overdone.

Posted: 10 November 2013 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  719
Joined  2012-01-12

I always use a heating core unless I am baking 8 inch or less. If you have a decorating nail you can use that.  The baking strip is to get the even top so you won,t have to trim the top later. With me I use both just be sure. It can’t hurt anything. How are u gonna fill and decorate this cake?

Posted: 10 November 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-11-10

Thanks so much prettycake, I’ll get a heating core too then. I plan to use Rose’s white chocolate cream cheese frosting. It’s an “Angry Birds go to the pool” theme cake. I’m going to fill the “pool” with Rose’s white ganache (tinted blue) from The Cake Bible and make lots of tiny Angry Birds cake balls that can be flung into it with a slingshot. I want to make sure I get the cake right so I can concentrate on the excruciatingly detailed decoration!

Posted: 10 November 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  719
Joined  2012-01-12

Your cake sounds very cute and fabulous.  I too have made my son an XBOX, Battle LA Helmet and a Ferrari birthday cakes.  Kids cakes are sooo fun to make even though so much work goes into the designs.  I know how you feel. please show us your cake whenever.

Posted: 10 November 2013 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-11-10

Oh wow, those sound fabulous! I’m actually quite nervous since this is the first time I’m making something so elaborate. I just hope it turns out okay, the last thing I want is to disappoint my niece! Will post pics once I’m done.