Rose Factor for Full Sheet Pans?
Posted: 11 November 2013 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-11-11

Has anyone ever needed to figure out the Rose Factor for a full sheet pan?  My church is going to be preparing a meal at our local homeless shelter right after Thanksgiving, and I’ve been asked to plan the dessert.  The kitchen has full sheet pans (1 inch deep).  I was thinking of scaling up the All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake from TCB, but the chart only goes up to an 18 x 12 pan.  We will be feeding between 150-200 people.  (Unfortunately, I won’t be able to experiment ahead of time, since the shelter’s kitchen is always in use, and a full sheet pan won’t fit in my oven at home.)  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: 11 November 2013 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27

I would estimate a Rose factor of 15 and a Baking powder level of 5. For the latter, we’re extrapolating beyond the data, so no guarantees. However, the BP reduction tends to get smaller as the pans get larger. so there is probably a pan size beyond which no further reductions are needed.

Note that the Rose Factor assumes a 2” pan, so you’d need half the volume, and I presume that a shorter cake could handle more baking powder. Personally, I think it’s a bad idea to attempt this without a test cake, unless someone here can provide actual experience.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 11 November 2013 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-11-11

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think you’re right—unless someone else has actual experience with this, I shouldn’t try this for the first time at the meal.

Posted: 11 November 2013 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

IMHO,  1 inch pan is a cookie sheet, I would not use it for cake unless I am making a rolled up cake for a Yule Log or something like that.

Is this your only choice of pan ?  at least a two inch side pan would be better to work with.  I have not made this cake, i’m sorry I cannot give any feed back.

I hope it works for you… what you are doing for the homeless is very admirable.

Posted: 11 November 2013 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-11-11

The kitchen may have a few half sheet pans, but they would also be 1-inch deep as well.  It doesn’t really have a lot of choice in terms of baking pans, although, oddly enough, it has one of those giant mixers that stands on the floor.  I guess I should be looking for recipes for bars/cookies instead…Thanks for your thoughts.