Combining Buttercreams
Posted: 13 November 2013 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2011-04-30

I am just curious if anyone has ever combined leftover mousseline and neoclassic buttercreas from previous projects? I hate to throw small amounts of leftover buttercream and almost tempted to just combine them. I use leftovers for writing, decorating cakes, flowers. Lately, I do not have any new projects to use them on and I just want to combine and re-purpose it. If it does not work, then I will hate to throw it away. I just want to play it safe.

Thanks.

Posted: 13 November 2013 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

I’d go for it! It may affect the texture (ie:  a blending of the two)—of course, similar flavours would be preferable to a hodge-podge flavours.  I’ve always wanted to make a pastry cream buttercream.  I figure if crème anglaise would work ok for Silk Meringue Buttercream, why not a pastry cream?? I figure it’s worth a shot!!

Posted: 13 November 2013 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

Thanks, Sherrie. That’s what I thought. No pain, no gain. Yes, I thought of saying that it will be like flavors combined. I will let you know how it turns out wink

Posted: 15 November 2013 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve combined these two before with no problem smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 15 November 2013 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

I found that the Neoclassic BC is softer and easily melts than the mousseline bc. I had so much egg yolks and just needed to make bc for an order. It is quick to get soft when piping for a large number of cupcakes that I thought if I mixed it with the mousseline, will have more body. Thanks to your advise, it managed to combine the two without any issues. Neoclassic just has a lower yield than the mousseline from what I observe.