Substituting orange oil for orange essence?
Posted: 19 November 2008 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-11-19

I’m trying to please multiple people with one dessert recipe for Thanksgiving.  I’m thinking of making a chocolate-pumpkin cake. Problem is, the recipe I found calls for a cream cheese frosting, which won’t work.  The Cake Bible has a buttercream variation that uses “orange pulp essence” to augment the orange flavor.  Does anyone know if orange oil (which I can get easily) is suitable as a substitute.  I can’t see ordering the orange essence online at this point.

Thanks.

Jocelyn (newbie to this forum, btw)

Posted: 19 November 2008 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I’m not sure…and actually, I’m not actually answering your question, but if you are looking for an orange buttercream, the orange variation in the cake bible for the mousseline butter cream is pretty much an orange curd beaten into the buttercream, and all of the orange flavor comes from zest and juice.  It is delicious and I use it all the time.

Hope that helps.

Posted: 19 November 2008 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Hello and welcome! 

I believe that the pulp essence tastes more like the inside of an orange, as opposed to the peel.  Orange oil tastes like the zest, or peel.  So the flavors aren’t an exact substitute.  You might be able to use orange juice concentrate in place of the pulp essence (or to reduce your own freshly squeezed OJ), but it depends on the recipe.  Which buttercream are you using?

I agree with Bill, if your recipe would work with the orange curd mousseline, it is an extremely tasty buttercream!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 19 November 2008 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-19

Thank you both.  Turns out that both my kids want apple pie (All-American), and I’m making pumpkin bread pudding for the non-pie people!  It’s never easy to make everyone happy grin.

Posted: 20 November 2008 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24
jocelyng - 20 November 2008 03:22 AM

It’s never easy to make everyone happy grin.

So true! There will just be two of us at Thanksgiving this year—I want to try out a pumpkin-pecan pie recipe, and my husband says “bleah” to pumpkin and would much prefer apple pie or galette. Or pecan pie as second choice.

I think I see some mini-pies in my future.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 17 December 2009 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-09

Can anyone tell me where the heck to get orange essence?

I’m in NYC and went to Gourmet Garage, Whole Foods, and 2 health food stores (all within a stone’s throw of West 96th Street).  I wanted to make some orange fabulousness for my Birthday next week so mail-order is not a viable short-term fix, though suggestions along those lines are welcome as well…