Chocolate covered strawberry cake
Posted: 14 November 2013 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Hey everybody!
I made the CCSC a few days ago; I made half a recipe to make a 6-inch cake.
The cakes themselves, the sponge part, slightly fell in the middle after cooling [they were baked long enough]. Actually I made them twice; once with UNbleached cake flour [the one we have here is just wheat flour made with soft wheat], then replaced 1/8 of the flour with potato starch. I made a little mini cake to taste and actually I didn’t like the texture, so I made another batch, thinking maybe if I strengthen the structure with 100% UNbleached cake flour the cakes won’t fall in the middle. That wasn’t the case, but the texture was better, I think.

Anyway everything was good and dandy in the strawberry mousseline [I used strained strawberry jam], but the chocolate frosting was a pain in the tuches! I wasn’t sure how thin the frosting should be when I pour it over the top of the cake. So I heated it a little in the microwave to what seemed like the right consistency, but alas, it was not liquidy enough. It went down in big, thick, gloops. So to fix it I heated the frosting again and applied some very very liquidy frosting on the sides.
Then I ate lunch & let the frosting cool.
When I came back I saw a big bald spot on the side of the cake, so I decided to put some frosting on it-> BIG mistake! When I tried to remove the spatula, the cake was so tender that it actually started clinging to the spatula & break apart! So I very carefully slid it back with a plethora of kitchen instruments, whatever I think would do the job.
And no matter how long I waited, the frosting did not set enough to be swirly.
And one part of the cake was hideous-looking.
So to cover it, I put some caramelized-something [maybe nuts? who knows. It was pulverized into irregular bits] which I had in my pantry from something I did in the past.

Verdict: Delish! I love how the tart jam, above the mousseline layer, just brings it all together. The texture and sweetness level of the chocolate was perfect.

I forgot to take a picture of the completed, assembled, cake, but here’s a picture of it sliced open. The part of the left side was when I didn’t wipe the knife between slices.

Oh, I just remembered- In the chocolate frosting, I didn’t have enough corn syrup, so I substituted golden syrup for the rest, which is probably the reason why it was so thick at first, as golden syrup is thicker than corn syrup. I think.

Edit: Oh, and also, in the most bottom layer you can see a bit of the “bird’s nest” cake - though I did trim a little of the sides [not perfectly, apparently!] to be level with the shorter middle.

Image Attachments
IMG_4574-_CCSC.jpg
 Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 14 November 2013 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

That looks delish McBrownie!

Posted: 14 November 2013 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3127
Joined  2010-04-25

It does look delish!  Congratulations on all of your successful rescue attempts!  I’ve had “ugly spots” on my cakes, too.  I usually just ask whomever is slicing it to cut that piece first!

Posted: 15 November 2013 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

HAHA, thanks!

BTW, here’s something strange- as the original recipe states that there will be enough batter left for 2 cupcakes, the first time I made the cake I baked the leftovers in a 6x1.5” cake pan and it actually domed a bit. I had no idea the doming reacts with the height of the pan as well!
I know that the cake bible was originally written for 1.5” high pans, and to make it suitable for the common 2” high pans, you just multiply the batter by 1.33 [I think]. So can I do the same in RHC? I mean, make a 0.75 recipe for 1.5” high pans?

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 15 November 2013 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2007-11-18
Anne in NC - 14 November 2013 05:13 PM

It does look delish!  Congratulations on all of your successful rescue attempts!  I’ve had “ugly spots” on my cakes, too.  I usually just ask whomever is slicing it to cut that piece first!

ANNE IN NC:
  Good morning. Anne, I just say “DON’T LOOK AT IT!!!  JUST EAT IT !! snake

Enjoy the day.grin

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 15 November 2013 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Your cake looks great, congratulations on a great save smile

McBrownie - 15 November 2013 12:31 AM

So can I do the same in RHC? I mean, make a 0.75 recipe for 1.5” high pans?

Yup.

re: using unbleached flour- in a butter cake this can cause the cake to dip in the middle or to have dense, gummy patches where the butter didn’t combine properly with the flour.  You’ve probably seen the power of flour articles over on the blog, they talk about the problem and a number of ways to fix it.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 15 November 2013 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02
Julie - 15 November 2013 08:40 AM

Your cake looks great, congratulations on a great save smile

McBrownie - 15 November 2013 12:31 AM

So can I do the same in RHC? I mean, make a 0.75 recipe for 1.5” high pans?

Yup.

re: using unbleached flour- in a butter cake this can cause the cake to dip in the middle or to have dense, gummy patches where the butter didn’t combine properly with the flour.  You’ve probably seen the power of flour articles over on the blog, they talk about the problem and a number of ways to fix it.

Thanks! I did see them but probably missed the part how to fix the dipping when using unbleached - I’ll have to look at it again! I actually thought the dipping was because of the smaller diameter of the 6 inch pans [and the doming was because of the shorter height of the 1.5 inch pans].
Thanks!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 15 November 2013 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Well, I read the posts again and am still not sure what happened. I think the problem is that I used unbleached cake flour, and not AP. So, when I subbed potato starch [12.5% of the flour] maybe it made the structure too weak, so the cake dipped [although I’m not sure if a weak-structured-cake should dip while in the oven or after. Mine fell after].
Although when I just used UNbleached cake flour [without subbing potato starch] the cake dipped just as before. I think decreasing the baking powder is the best solution- I liked the texture of this batch better. And I have found no gummy spots in either cake [with/without subbing potato starch].
The flavor difference to me was pretty negligible.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 15 November 2013 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Normally, switching to a smaller diameter pan would result in doming, not dipping.  Unbleached flour may cause dipping.  So can underbaking.

And a shorter pan height probably wouldn’t produce doming if it was properly filled.  If the pan was half or 2/3 full and the pan height was 2” or less, I would not expect doming to occur due to the height of the pan sides. If the pan was less than half full, that can produce doming, so can an overly hot oven or not using cake strips. 

Hope something there helps smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 17 November 2013 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Actually, the shorter pan was slightly underfilled!
Thanks Julie!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 27 November 2013 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2012-01-12

What a nice cake. I love a lot of layers/tall cakes. They look very professional.

Posted: 27 November 2013 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

Catching up on things—glad to see this.  It looks delicious. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 01 December 2013 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Thanks! smile It WAS delicious. I’m thinking of making another one for a birthday next week!

Signature 

McBrownie.

‹‹ Hello All and a brag      Art by Annikki ››