1 of 2
Christmas Baking :)
Posted: 14 November 2013 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2013-10-17

Hi Everyone!

It’s getting closer and closer to Christmas and I’m sure everyone will be firing up their ovens very soon to start on their Christmas baking!

Speaking of Christmas baking… does anyone have any favourites from Rose’s Christmas Cookie Book? I just want to get some people’s opinions on their favourites. I want to try a few new recipes this year and thought if I have some tried and tested recipes that people have tried, that would be great! (although all Rose’s recipes are AMAZING, in my humble opinion smile

Have a wonderful day!

Looking forward to some responses!

Tonia xx

Posted: 14 November 2013 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  604
Joined  2007-11-27

I have a lot of favorites from the Christmas Cookie Book.  I’ve tried almost all of the recipes.  I love the gingerbread men, the brandy snaps, Mrs King’s Irresistibles, the coconut snowballs, the carmelitas, the macadamia bars, the shortbread, the meringue ones (the ones with the chocolate middles), .  I liked David’s dreambars, but for me the white chocolate colored in the oven. The brownie recipe is a really good one - like she says in the book, I have several brownie recipes myself and this one is really good.  I wasn’t as thrilled with the three nut fingers (the dough is a little oily but they taste great) and the cereal wreaths are ok (probably more fun with kids!); the stained glass cookies are also ok.  Have fun with your holiday baking!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 14 November 2013 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  690
Joined  2012-01-12

My most favorite is the Venetian, macaron and financier. One thing in common they all use almond flour.

Posted: 15 November 2013 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1569
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 14 November 2013 07:38 PM

I have a lot of favorites from the Christmas Cookie Book.  I’ve tried almost all of the recipes.  I love the gingerbread men, the brandy snaps, Mrs King’s Irresistibles, the coconut snowballs, the carmelitas, the macadamia bars, the shortbread, the meringue ones (the ones with the chocolate middles), .  I liked David’s dreambars, but for me the white chocolate colored in the oven. The brownie recipe is a really good one - like she says in the book, I have several brownie recipes myself and this one is really good.  I wasn’t as thrilled with the three nut fingers (the dough is a little oily but they taste great) and the cereal wreaths are ok (probably more fun with kids!); the stained glass cookies are also ok.  Have fun with your holiday baking!

Jeanne, are you the Jeanne in the book?

Posted: 15 November 2013 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

I love the three nut fingers, they have an astonishing, disappearing texture that surprises people, and the flavor is great.

I also love the brandy snaps, but you can only fill them shortly before serving or they soften.  The unfilled snaps can be made ahead and stored airtight, especially this time of year when it is drier they keep well.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 15 November 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

...I’ve always meant to ask about the Chocolate Caramel Chews…they are awesome, but when made as directed the chocolate melts into a giant puddle with the caramel.  Does this happen to anyone else?  I’ve resorted to adding the chocolate after the caramel cools, but it looks like an add on.  Any other approaches? 

I made the Dream Bars last year…they were excellent!!

Posted: 15 November 2013 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  604
Joined  2007-11-27
Flour Girl - 15 November 2013 12:06 AM

No, that’s Jeanne Bauer smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 15 November 2013 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I have tried Mexican wedding cakes,  Rose’s crescents,  mahogany buttercrunch toffee, davids dream bars and the chocolate caramel chews, and the pecan tassies.  They all were wonderful.
This year I am going to try Laura Brody’s Rugelach ( replacing the raisins with mini chocolate chips because I don’t like raisins ),  Lacey susans,  maple walnut sables and the chocolate moist madeleines,  along with the 3 flavors of fudge and my mother-in-laws shortbread cookies which I make using my Christmas clay cookie stamps.  ( best shortbread I have ever had - just melts in your mouth )

Most of my doughs are made and vacuum sealed in the freezer.  Did that last week,  trying to get ahead of the rush.  I still might make davids dream bars again because they were amazing.

Posted: 16 November 2013 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  690
Joined  2012-01-12

I forgot, I also make the Spring Gerle cookies and the Alfajores w/ the Dulce de leche. They are so pretty.

Posted: 16 November 2013 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Has anyone made Kouign Amman? It seems to be very trendy here in the NW. I am thinking Kouinettes filled with pumpkin cream pudding for Thanksgiving.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 16 November 2013 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1569
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 15 November 2013 09:18 PM
Flour Girl - 15 November 2013 12:06 AM

No, that’s Jeanne Bauer smile

Oh, okay. I immediately thought of you grin

Posted: 16 November 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-17

Thank you so much everyone smile

I really appreciate everyone getting in on the conversation smile

Please keep the suggestions coming!

I’m so looking forward to getting started on my baking this coming week.

I’m planning on doing Brandy Snaps for Christmas Eve and a selection of cookies for hampers as gifts this year smile

Xx

Posted: 16 November 2013 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-17

That sounds like a lovely selection smile

Can I ask, have you ever had trouble with the topping setting on the Maple Macadamia Bars?

I’ve tried at least 3 times and the topping won’t set and cool, (So I can keep it at room temp) I always have to put it in the fridge!

If you have any suggestions? I follow the recipe to the letter but I’m thinking should I try and boil it longer in the saucepan? Or cook it longer than 10 mins in the oven? (Only issue then is that the edges brown) :(

Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: 16 November 2013 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Gene - 16 November 2013 05:54 AM

Has anyone made Kouign Amman? It seems to be very trendy here in the NW. I am thinking Kouinettes filled with pumpkin cream pudding for Thanksgiving.

Sounds incredibly yummy!  I haven’t made these yet, though they are on my to-bake list.  When I do make them, I plan to look carefully at Joe Pastry’s series of blog posts, he ran through something like 16 test runs- I’m hoping he’s made the most common mistakes so I won’t have to smile

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2013 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Thanks for that link Julie. His trials were instructive. I haven’t been to Brittany but from youtube video it seems he was aiming for a lighter more croissant like result. Examples on the interwebs vary greatly. I enjoyed this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cd6LzEinLo

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 20 November 2013 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Nice link, he makes it look so easy- his flour looks super extensible.  Good luck with yours!

Signature 

1 of 2