Evan Kleiman Pie Crust
Posted: 20 November 2013 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2011-04-30

I recently read about Evan Kleiman’s style of making pie crust. She fold the dough as she rolls it out creating many layers of dough and butter similar to making puff pastry. I tried to google more about her; but in vain. I am intrigued by employing this style because I like a thicker crust pie to balance out the pie filling. One of the bloggers wrote that her pie was 10” in diameter with 4 pounds of apples in them. It will be nice to hear from anyone who may have tried making this huge pie. I attached a picture of her apple pie for your reference. Any suggestion?

Thank you.

Image Attachments
pie.jpg

Posted: 20 November 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  640
Joined  2008-01-24

That is a great picture. Alas, I haven’t tried such a pie. It certainly looks like puff pastry to me. In my opinion puff is easier to produce reliably than standard pie crust. You should try a small batch and let us know.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 20 November 2013 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

I definitely will. Thanks.

Posted: 20 November 2013 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  720
Joined  2012-01-12

I like that. Something different from the usual boring way smile love your pie photo. Nice.

Posted: 21 November 2013 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

OMG…this is very timely for me!  I recently made Rose’s all butter pastry (not the Deluxe version) with Sour Cream as the liquid.  The pastry was nice, but the scraps that were rolled then folded were amazing and incredibly flaky with lots of layers.  I even said to my husband…“Next time I make pastry, I’m rolling it first, folding it, then re-rolling.”  I will have to check this out!

Posted: 22 November 2013 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

This looks like instructions for making the pie in question.
http://www.newschoolofcooking.com/evan-kleiman-and-sherry-yards-secrets-for-perfect-pie/

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2013 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

It’s all in the technique smile  Neither of the two recipes in the link have unusual ingredients (except duck fat, but that isn’t really an option for sweet pies), but they do share two things in common:  keep the butter in larger pieces and create layers.  Whether you create layers by folding and rolling the finished dough (puff pastry), or by rolling the butter into flakes within the mass of loose flour (which is what I do), or even just by stopping the food processor in time to leave pieces of butter, the key is to create layers of butter and dough. 

Rose’s quick puff pastry (Pie/ Pastry Bible) is better than classic, IMHO, because it doesn’t go quite so crazy with rising and loosing shape as classic puff.

But for flavor I still love the Cream Cheese flaky crust best, and with rolling butter cubes into flakes within the mass of loose flour, I’m able to get a super flaky result. 

I think another reason those crusts look so flaky is presentation- no crimping, just two layers of flaky dough sandwhiched together and allowed to rise to their fullest flaky texture.

Image Attachments
cherry-rhubarb_flaky_crust.JPG
 Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 23 November 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
Gene - 22 November 2013 05:54 AM

This looks like instructions for making the pie in question.
http://www.newschoolofcooking.com/evan-kleiman-and-sherry-yards-secrets-for-perfect-pie/

Thank U Gene,
As I have said, something different and “unboring”... I will definitely try this…

have a nice day…

Posted: 25 November 2013 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-11-23

Hi Everyone.

Since I’m Evan Kleiman I thought I would chime in here.  My pie dough is NOT puff paste.  I just use a technique borrowed from pastry chef friends to mix the dough.  If you want to see it I have a 2 hr video class on craftsy.com Here’s a discount link for anyone who wants to use it.  http://www.craftsy.com/piecrust25
I’m a chef/radio host who has created the largest pie competition in Los Angeles.  It is the culmination to a Pie-A-Day obsession we have every summer. Here’s my website if you’re interested. http://evankleiman.com

Thanks!

Posted: 25 November 2013 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank u Evan for your comment. I was never doubtful nor skeptical about your technique. Hopefully the skeptics will find some peace of mind and finally rest ......

Posted: 25 November 2013 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

Thanks for clearing that up! Do you have any hints on kouign amann?

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2013 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-30

Thanks for clarifying the technique and type of dough for your pie. It was marvelous looking when I first laid eyes on it during my research. I like a good ratio of crust to filling and I think you hit the nail on the head. Ms. Kleiman. I will certainly check out your class. Thanks for sharing the link.

Posted: 27 November 2013 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Always good to know from someone knowledgeable smile.
No guessing. Thanks again. wink