Rose’s shortbread (if there is such a thing)
Posted: 21 November 2013 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I have placed a hold on Rose’s Christmas Cookies at my library, but it is currently checked out and not due back until 12/10.

If Rose has a shortbread recipe, and it’s not too burdensome to do so, would someone please PM it to me???

I’d sure appreciate it!  That said, if it’s long, etc., and you’d rather scan & email it to me, PM me, and I’ll give you my email address.

Of course, if you feel in any way this is an inappropriate request, feel free to ignore it—I am happy to delete the thread, as well, if it seems out of line to anyone in any way, so do speak up if you find it so!

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 21 November 2013 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-27

Hi there…

PM me your email address and I’ll send you the recipe in a Word document.  Because my cookie book is almost falling apart, I put my most favorite recipes into Word documents so I wouldn’t ever lose them smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 21 November 2013 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-27

Scottish Shortbread
RLB Christmas Cookie Book

Unsalted butter 10 oz (for individual rounds; 8 oz when making larger shapes)
Confectioners sugar 1 oz
Granulated sugar 1.75 oz
a/p bleached flour 12.5 oz

Food Processor Mixing Method:  Process the sugars for 1 min or until the granulated sugar is very fine.  Add the butter and pulse until the sugar disappears.  Add the flour and pulse until there are a lot of moist crumbly little pieces and no dry flour remains.

Mixer Method: whisk the sugars together.  Cream the butter in the mixer, add the sugars and mix until light and fluffy.  Mix the flour in two parts until it holds together.

Dump the mixture into a Ziploc bag and press it together; remove it from the bag and knead it lightly until it holds together.

If using full amount of butter, roll 2 level tsp of dough into a 1 inch ball; then flatten it with a press, glass bottom or fork.  Place about 1 inch apart on parchment lined sheets.
For larger shapes, use only 8 oz butter and using half of the dough at a time, roll or press into a round and mark the perimeter with a fork to create a traditional design.

Bake at 275 for 45 mins for smaller individual rounds, and 60 to 70 mins for 8” or larger rounds

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 21 November 2013 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you!!!!!!!

Posted: 21 November 2013 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  683
Joined  2012-01-12

Speaking of short bread, I found a recipe that uses corn starch and AP flour. I am tempted to try it to make some Alfajore Kisses. They are short bread cookies shaped like kisses but the size of a plum w/ dulce de leche filling. I tried this in a Peruvian bakery and loved them. Very good.

Posted: 21 November 2013 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2iFtOyFgc

Here’s a video of Rose making her shortbread cookies, with the recipe at the end of it.  I should have done a bit more legwork before asking!!!

Speaking of short bread, I found a recipe that uses corn starch and AP flour. I am tempted to try it to make some Alfajore Kisses. They are short bread cookies shaped like kisses but the size of a plum w/ dulce de leche filling. I tried this in a Peruvian bakery and loved them. Very good.

Holy cow!  Did you find that recipe online?  Please post a link.  I’m going with plain ‘ol this time, but those sound amazing, and I’d love to make them sometime, too!!!  Thanks, PC!

Posted: 22 November 2013 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi Anne,

Here it is .. I have not tried this,  but of all the recipes that I have seen,  this is more like what I am looking for.  Since the dough does not spread like crazy,  I will shape them in to kisses, with the Dulce De Leche inside it while baking.  I am so determined to make the Peruvian style I have tried from a Peruvian bakery that is to die for..

http://www.test4thebest.com/2010/09/melt-away-alfajores-de-maizena-with.html

Posted: 22 November 2013 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

Roxanne posted one here a few years ago:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1484/P0/

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 November 2013 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Thanks Charles, and thanks to Roxanne for her recipe. I make it a few times a year. I would make it more often but my waistline won’t take it. I love it paired with dark chocolate.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 22 November 2013 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you all!

Ooooh, PC.  I am printing that one out for a deeper read this weekend!  The almond shortbread looks really good, too.  I will have to add that one to my “make this cookie” list, too.

Posted: 22 November 2013 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi Anne,

I was so inspired by you that I thought about shortbread cookies last night in my sleep.  When I woke up this morning,  I was so determined to
make Alfajore Kisses cookies, and I did (in SHOW AND TELL)..

I will post the actual recipe I used.

Thank U

Posted: 23 November 2013 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24
Jeanne - 21 November 2013 06:08 PM

Hi there…

I put my most favorite recipes into Word documents so I wouldn’t ever lose them smile

Yup useful I imagine.  My Cake Bible has fallen apart.  I have put it into a 3-ring binder (much in individual pages).  Meanwhile, I maintain an Excel file with many of the recipes (and calculations for different amounts).  I really love RHC in Kindle format because I can search for a recipe or ingredient. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 19 May 2014 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2010-01-18

I had a good chuckle reading this thread - as the same thing happened to me two yrs back. All ready to make Rose’s Almond Spritz cookies when we realized we didn’t have a copy of the recipe as I had sourced it from the Public Library before. Luckily my daughter had taken a picture of the recipe the yr before and found it in her computer files. Saved the day! Meantime I got myself a used copy of the book for my very own! <3 <3 <3

Posted: 28 August 2014 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2014-08-28

Wow. Thanks for sharing this video. I really found this post very innovative.

Signature 

Online cake Delivery