Lemon Glow Chiffon Cake Problem?
Posted: 27 November 2013 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2013-10-07

Hi

I have just bought a wilton 10” angel food pan (16 cups) So i have just tried the Lemon Glow Chiffon Cake Page 157…I have weighed every thing to the Gram..Even the Egg Whites & Yolks..

The only thing i did not have was safflower oil so i have used peanut oil instead..

Mixed every thing well and everything was at room temp..

I poured the batter into the pan it came to the first rivet on the pan(there are 2 rivets holding the legs about 1 1/2” from top)

I have a lowered the oven temp by 10 degrees because my oven is convection…

The cake has risen well over the top of the pan a good inch and also split like a volcano?.. i took a photo…

I have inverted the cake and letting it cool for a few hours… please advise on what went wrong…

Should i cut the cake level while in the pan?

Thanks.. This is my 3rd cake from roses book… the first two cakes were very good..

Rob

Image Attachments
explode1.jpg

Posted: 27 November 2013 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07

Hi

Well 2 hours later i have a nice tasting cake smile But looks a mess :(..

Here are a few photos..I have just got Roses USA edition…(i had the english version) So having got some real cake flour i will be trying a few more cakes in the coming weeks

Hope they turn out better than this !

Rob

Image Attachments
colpas.jpgcut2.jpg

Posted: 28 November 2013 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi.  I assume the first pic shows where you scraped the sides off?  It’s a bit tricky to scrape between the pan and the cake, especially with the rivets.  Holding the knife/spatula right against the pan helps.  OR did the cake do this on its own?  That’s a different issue. 

You mention getting some cake flour?  If you are using higher protein flour, it will lead to greater “toughness” and also sinking/collapse—and possibly the caving you see. 

As far as the volcano effect, I’m wondering if it is related to the use of convection.  I have some cracking when I make this cake, but it looks like some areas are overbrowned.  I’m wondering if the top set faster with the convection and when the remainder of the cake rose, it caused cracking?  If you can bake without convection, it may be worth trying.  The lemon chiffon is a lovely cake…definitely worth a second go.  FYI sponge cakes do not work well with the moving air in convection ... so if you attempt a genoise, for instance, do not use with convection.

Posted: 28 November 2013 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2012-01-12

I think the outside is the issue because the inside looks fine. Looks like it just got stuck really bad. I bake a lot of chiffon. They taste so good and light (in weight). I use a really sharp knife going around the sides when unmolding., like Angel food cake. Good luck with your next cake. I,m sire it will co e better.

Posted: 29 November 2013 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-07

Thanks for the advise..I will try to use non convection cooking on my cooker but the user manual says the oven bakes more even with convection?...

And yes you are right about the outside was a mess and the inside looked pretty good…

I looked at the video on roses site and i made the mistake of using a sharp knife to go round the side while the cake had only just come out of the oven!.. I should have let it cool first then used the knife and that is why the cake came out a total mess…Stupid!! i cant believe i did that….Hope the next time it wont rise as much…

Rob

Posted: 29 November 2013 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27
Rob - 29 November 2013 09:44 AM

the user manual says the oven bakes more even with convection?

Your oven settings are tools which the baker uses to accomplish his desired results, in the same way that the keys of a piano serve the needs of the player. A piano instruction manual is of limited use to the musician. grin

For things that are supposed to expand a lot in the oven, you don’t really want them to heat evenly. You’d like heat from the bottom to make them expand, but you want to keep the sides and top as soft and stretchy as possible to allow the expansion to happen. Even heating would tend to dry out the sides and top, making the product become too rigid too quickly.

Depending on the product, I may turn convection on halfway through the baking process, after the expansion is done.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 29 November 2013 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25
Rob - 29 November 2013 09:44 AM

Thanks for the advise..I will try to use non convection cooking on my cooker but the user manual says the oven bakes more even with convection?...

And yes you are right about the outside was a mess and the inside looked pretty good…

I looked at the video on roses site and i made the mistake of using a sharp knife to go round the side while the cake had only just come out of the oven!.. I should have let it cool first then used the knife and that is why the cake came out a total mess…Stupid!! i cant believe i did that….Hope the next time it wont rise as much…

Rob

Based on what you describe, I think scraping the sides right after removal from the oven would definitely cause the problem you see at the sides. Mistakes are how we learn…so don’t be too hard on yourself.  My family thoroughly enjoys my mistakes!!