Buttercream - White? Only Butter
Posted: 01 December 2013 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Hello Everyone!
  I have a baking question:  I try not to use Confections Sugar or Veg. Shortening in my buttercream.  I typically make Rose’s butter creams - nothing like that silky smooth cream for a cake.

I am trying to make a “white as possible” buttercream for a Christening Cake.  Most of the butter i use is “yellow” in color, and it typically turns my buttercream a “cream” color.  This may be a very basic and dumb question, but is there a “white” butter that i can use or can white whipping butter be used instead of land of lakes sticks (which i commonly use)?

Thanks!

Posted: 02 December 2013 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

I think most of Rose’s buttercreams are based on egg yolks. Is that what you normally use? You could try an Italian or Swiss meringue buttercream, which use just the egg whites. Although I don’t normally use yellow butter, I think with all that whipping, the buttercreams turns out white anyway!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 02 December 2013 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

HI McBrownie!
  FOr some creams i use egg whites and others i use egg yolks.  You mentioned that you typically don’t use yellow butter - so there is “white butter” - maybe i will try using the white butter.  Have you ever used “whipped” butter before?  Typically white in color, i am just not sure if the “whipped” part will affect the creaming process.
Thanks for your help!

Posted: 02 December 2013 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

The only reason I use “white” butter is because we don’t really have yellow butter in Israel smile at least not commonly. We do have some imported irish and french butters which are yellow but they are so expensive I doubt anyone’s actually buying them!
I have no idea about the availability of butters in the US so I’m afraid I can’t really help you with that. I have not used whipped butter before [is it like a butter spread?] but I’m assuming that if it’s for creaming purposes, and if it’s anything like the whipped cream cheese, than it’s probably okay to substitute it for regular butter as long as you use the actual weight, and not volume.

What’s exactly in a whipped butter?

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 02 December 2013 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

As far as i understand - whipped butter is incorporating air into the butter.  it makes it more “spreadable” when chilled as compared to “regular” butter sticks.

Posted: 02 December 2013 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27

Land O’Lakes butter is pretty white in my eyes. Whipping it would make it look whiter, but that’s what you’re doing anyway when you make frosting.

There is available white food coloring, but I haven’t ever used it. You might also consider covering the cake in a very thin layer of shortening based frosting to hide the cream color. You’d get the best of both worlds.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 03 December 2013 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

You can get it pretty white,  but not wedding white, by beating your sticks before adding to the meringue in Italian Meringue.  This subdues the yellow.  You would also benefit from using clear vanilla extract.  Also, food color works in Italian Meringue, so white food color should work. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 03 December 2013 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thanks for the ideas!  I have to try the food coloring.