Some recent efforts
Posted: 02 December 2013 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1186
Joined  2009-11-24

two B’day cakes -same affiar.  My mother and her husband share a birthday. 
Here is a DCP with Ganache - swiss meringue in the middle - very rich.  Slice here also. The bow ribbon is modeling chocolate.  I see I should have cleaned up the bow more…. I think that is conf. sugar or cornstarch.
Mother’s 78th - bottom cake is sweet potato with orange swiss meringue - top is yellow with lemon curd filling and lemon swiss meringue

Red and White cake with raspberry buttercream. 

Melinda’s cake - covered in white and dark modeling chocolate - also DCP.  I like to save these photos to remind me I need to polish the modeling chocolate…more like I need to allow enough time between my real job and delivering cake to really complete it properly.

Image Attachments
charlescakesmall.jpgmomcakesmall.jpgredvelslicnovsmall.jpgMelindasmall.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 02 December 2013 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

oops, here is the slice

Image Attachments
choc2novslicesmall.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 02 December 2013 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  687
Joined  2012-01-12

Renee, your cakes look fabulous. Very nice. Is that Red Velvet? Did u use red food coloring? If u did, good for you. I’m glad u were not “frightened” by the idea of using red food coloring, w/c IMHO do not make sense.

Posted: 02 December 2013 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2013-11-13

Very nice. The only cake I used white chocolate was a wedding cake I made for a niece in Chennai, India. Because of the local temperature and humidity it was quite difficult to work with, slowly melting and applying each layer.

It was a success and I decorated it with fresh pesticide-free rose petals.

Those ribbons are very pretty. I must try that!

Thanks for posting.

Annikki Matthan
Oulu, Finland

Posted: 03 December 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
prettycake - 02 December 2013 09:38 PM

Renee, your cakes look fabulous. Very nice. Is that Red Velvet? Did u use red food coloring? If u did, good for you. I’m glad u were not “frightened” by the idea of using red food coloring, w/c IMHO do not make sense.

Yes I used food color.  I do intend to, however, try raspberry the next time I pair it with raspberry buttercream.

Signature 

Posted: 03 December 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  920
Joined  2009-05-25

Loving them all, Renee.  They sound delicious.

Posted: 03 December 2013 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4803
Joined  2008-04-16

CRenee, they look great!  The DCP is such a crowd pleaser, I bet they were very happy with those cakes.  How do you like Swiss Meringue buttercream?  It looks fairly easy to make, but I haven’t tried it yet.

I totally relate to your not having enough time between work and cake delivery, I feel similarly about taking photos- never enough time between when things are finished and when they need to be served.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 04 December 2013 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2011-02-17

CRenee, I want to come to your house for my birthday. Everything looks wonderful! How cool to celebrate the birthdays of two such special people on the same day!

Posted: 04 December 2013 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

@Sherrie -  Thank you.  I did the Yellow Cake with Lemon filling rather than making the yellow lemon flavored (as usual).  My sister says someone did not like it..  I still do not have full confidence on lemon cake (even though other times it is well received).  For that matter, I am not confident on yellow cake.  Otherwise, the other cakes were delicious. 

@Julie - thank you.  The DCP is my first pref so far for chocolate cake.  I really like the swiss meringue but it is softer (not as stable).  I like how it is smoother.  Because it is not as stable it is not good for when other things are happening in the kitchen (baking mac and cheese and sweet potatoes). 

@Flour Girl - that is funny.  I did not even make a birthday cake for myself this year.  It was a nice birthday/family get together.

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 04 December 2013 10:49 AM

@Flour Girl - that is funny.  I did not even make a birthday cake for myself this year.  It was a nice birthday/family get together.

I was talking about for MY birthday wink

Love your cakes!

Posted: 06 December 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 04 December 2013 11:02 AM
CRenee - 04 December 2013 10:49 AM

I was talking about for MY birthday wink

Love your cakes!

Flour Girl - You are so kind.

Signature 

‹‹ Honoured      90th Cake and Birthday Pie ››