90th Cake and Birthday Pie
Posted: 03 December 2013 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Kind of forgot I did some baking recently….my grannies 90th birthday cake and my hubby’s 36th birthday cake.

For the cake:  I used Cook’s Illustrated’s Sour Cream Chocolate Bundt Cake—with mods as outlined on the forum.  This is a great, dense, fudgy cake.  I’m so glad the modifications worked out.  The tiers were 6” and 10” respectively.  I filled and frosted with ganache and glazed with the lacquer glaze from RHC.  I made a bunch of mini truffles dusted with cocoa, but I didn’t care for the look and used Valrhona Les Perles instead.  Lots of fun with tweezers!!  I made a spun sugar ball for the top. The numbers are dried fondant and coated with gold dust.  I really wanted to use gold leaf, but I didn’t need much and didn’t want to buy 24 sheets for a ridiculous amount of $$.  Unfortunately, I purchased some dust on a shopping trip and realized when I got home that it wasn’t technically edible…it’s labelled non-toxic (as are crayons, cleaning supplies) but when I consulted the website it said it was not edible.  So…that’s what I used on the numbers.  I ended up buying some gold flakes locally for some bling, but I wasn’t 100% happy with the color but ended up ok.

Pie…nothing fancy here…just Rose’s Butter Crust with sour cream—it’s a Saskatoon berry pie….I use the blueberry proportions, no lemon, and a little extra sugar and a small amount of almond extract.  Really liked this combination.  Kids helped with the cutouts smile

Image Attachments
7727__edit.JPG7588_edit_edit.JPG

Posted: 03 December 2013 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Oh Sherrie, these are fabluous!  Happy Birthday to your husband and your grandmother, they are lucky to have you celebrate with them by bringing such beautiful things. 

Your pie looks great, so nice to see how beautifully the crust bakes up in the plate with the ruffled edge.  I had to go look up what a Saskatoon berry is, and now I’m a little envious that you managed to make a pie with them!  Sounds like they are very limited in distribution and availability.  Must be delicious, maybe a little reminiscent of a Maine wild blueberry, which has so much more flavor and complexity than a regular blueberry.

Your tiered choco cake looks amazing, and sounds delicious, too! So festive with the lovely glaze, the ball of spun sugar and all that golden glitter.  I’ll have to try that CI recipe, sounds like it produced the texture and flavor you wanted.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 04 December 2013 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Your cake and pie looks great! Ninety! That’s awesome! Sending birthday wishes to your grandmother and husband.

Posted: 04 December 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Sherrie, both look great - sounds like a bit of work.  the outcome is so impressive.  I must try that cake recipe.  Happy Birthday to everyone. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 04 December 2013 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks, all.  I’ve actually been pretty lazy in the baking department as of late.  @Julie:  if you can ever get your hands on Saskatoons, they are delightful little berries.  Not quite as intense in flavour as a wild blueberry…I have tried with lemon but the almond extract is excellent with the berries.  The flavour of the berry is unique and that’s what makes them special.  They do not get nearly as juicy when thawed from frozen as a blueberry would.  I forgot to add that my five year old son got very excited when I pulled out the Rose Pie Plate:  “Mom that’s my favourite pan!” 

As an aside:  Really wanted to use sparklers on the cake…that would have completed the look but I didn’t want ashes/etc. to ruin texture—though I think “food” sparklers can be purchased.  Anyone ever try them notice if they leave grit on the cake surface after burning?

Posted: 06 December 2013 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  676
Joined  2012-01-12

Those look very nice and scrumptious.

Posted: 12 December 2013 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

I have not made a lot of fruit pies. Pies are so good and not difficult to make. Your pie look so good.

Posted: 12 December 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks, pretty cake.  Pies are wonderful.  I had a bit of leakage near the sides, but that happens.  The funny thing with pies…all the “decoration” happens prior to the oven and at that point there’s not much that can be done (I suppose tenting and oven temperature…)

Posted: 14 December 2013 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Pies are always great anytime. Winter, Summer or Spring. Looks good.