URGENT -Regarding makign caramel ganache using 60 or 70 percent chocolate and firming up the caramel ganache. 
Posted: 04 December 2013 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

I was wondering if i could continue with the recipe as stated using 60 % Chocolate… do u think this would make the ganache firmer or even softer? As i recall it was soft to begin with.. if i wanted it to be firmer say what do you guys think would be a good way to go about this ..reducing the cream content perhaps? If so , by how much do u reckon?

Posted: 04 December 2013 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Just seeing this now, perhaps you have already made the ganache?

chocoholic - 04 December 2013 06:51 AM

I was wondering if i could continue with the recipe as stated using 60 % Chocolate…

Yes, it will be noticeably sweeter as I think the recipe calls for unsweetened.

if i wanted it to be firmer say what do you guys think would be a good way to go about this ..reducing the cream content perhaps?

Reducing the cream would make it thicker to be sure.  I don’t have the recipe in front of me but I wouldn’t go lower than equal weights of chocolate and cream, even with 60% chocolate that will give you a firm ganache.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 04 December 2013 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

julie i haven’t made it. need it for tomorrow so i figured i would wait to hear from you all =) Thank you for the suggestions. i think i will try with the reducing cream route.

Posted: 04 December 2013 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Do you have unsweetened chocolate around? You could use a small amount of unsweetened with the 60%. 
EDIT:  misread original post… I thought you needed 70% and only had 60%.  Then yes to all of Julie’s comments.

Posted: 06 December 2013 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Thank yo uSherrie and Julie ! =) I went ahead wit ha regular 1 : 2 ganache that day cause i was worried of botching up with all that chocolate . However i can’t help thinking i could tweak the caramel ganache into a 1: 2 or something similar so that it remains firm or firmer and yet has a caramelly undertone. For e.g. if i went with 348 grams of cream ( as the recipe goes ) and used 696gm of chocolate while keeping the sugar the same. Do you see any reason why this wouldn’t worK ? Or any glitches i might run into ?

Posted: 08 December 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Are you saying that you normally make ganache with the chocolate weighing double the weight of the heavy cream?  Unless you are using milk chocolate, that would be a ganache that is nearly impossible to spread on the cake and would be very firm for eating.

Classic ganache proportions are equal weights heavy cream and dark chocolate, in many instances (depending on which chocolate), this will make a ganache that is quite thick and can sometimes be a little difficult to spread on the cake, which is why Rose puts a little more liquid than that.

I was just recommending that if you reduce the heavy cream that you not go lower than equal weights cream and chocolate.

All the above is for spreadable frosting.  Are you trying to make a glaze that will set to a firm or hard texture?  Then you might go something like 2:1 chocolate : cream and use while still pourable.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 08 December 2013 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Hello Julie, Yes i normally do use 2:1 ratio for bittersweet chocolate and 2.5 : 1 for milk chocolate. Actually these are the ratios most of the cake decorators work with i think especially for coverage under fondant. I did try doing the caramel ganache with 400 gm of cream and around 650 gm os chocolate. i also ran into problems. although it was not really with the consistency but more to do with the ganache developing a thin papery layer on cooling. i melted it al again and let it cool again but this time with a cling film against it. Still had issues i think the ganache was on the oily side looked like ith ad split. Would really like to know how i could salvage it. =)