1 of 2
Green She Loves Me Cake
Posted: 05 December 2013 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

I have THIS pan. Can I add green food coloring to the She Loves Me Cake to make the trees look green?

Thank you.

Posted: 05 December 2013 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes… sort of.  You can add the food coloring and the batter and crumb will be green, however the crust will be green mixed with brown as the exterior of the cake should brown for flavor.  So maybe a green glaze?  White chocolate, cream and coloring?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 05 December 2013 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Oh! Good point. Thank you Julie. Would the glaze hide the design?

Would the red velvet cake work subbing green for the red?

Posted: 06 December 2013 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16
Flour Girl - 05 December 2013 05:10 PM

Oh! Good point. Thank you Julie. Would the glaze hide the design?

You probably have more experience with glazes than I do- a thinner one would allow more of the detail to show through but don’t know exactly how much.

Would the red velvet cake work subbing green for the red?

Probably, but I haven’t tried it.  The crumb might be shockingly green smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 06 December 2013 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Julie.  I’ll try it with a thin glaze or maybe the glaze used in the Golden Lemon Almond Cake because it is sparkly.

Posted: 06 December 2013 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2011-12-25

I’ll enjoy seeing that, Flour Gril—I looked at all the different bundt pans out there on Amazon and loved so many of them, but finally came to my senses and narrowed it down to just one, the one with the high peaks. I haven’t ordered it yet, but I’m leaning that way. Are you making that bundt cake today?

BTW, I love that pan!! smile

Posted: 06 December 2013 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey. I should make it today, just to practice, but I’m making a pumpkin bread from Tartine. I will be making something for the Christmas Tree bundt tomorrow because we have a party on Saturday.

I love the pan you are thinking about. It is always a stunning presentation.  I love how the glaze travels down the channels.

That pan has come down in price. At one time it was sold exclusively by Williams Sonoma. Now it is in other retail stores as well as online.

I believe Amazon usually has private sellers if you would consider a used pan.

Thanks Abbey! I wish I had more opportunity to use it.

Posted: 06 December 2013 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi Flour girl,

I thought about your question, the thin glaze might drip down as you are applying it. How about maybe, do not make it too thin, but apply it on the cake using a pastry brush, then when done, dust then with a little bit of powdered sugar which would make it look like Christmas tree w/ snow on them. Please show us. smile

Posted: 06 December 2013 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

““I love the pan you are thinking about. It is always a stunning presentation. I believe Amazon usually has private sellers if you would consider a used pan.”“

FG

You know, I never thought about buying a used pan, but why not. I’d buy one at a flea market or garage sale. Great idea FG. I just bought 3 used cookbooks: 2 of Rose’s and 1 of Jamie Oliver’s. I got 3 for the price of 1. I hope they arrive before the weekend smile

I googled Tartine. Why do you like them? I didn’t get a chance to read too much about them. They are fairly new, right? Organic?

Abbey

PS. Good luck with your cake tomorrow.

Posted: 07 December 2013 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 06 December 2013 12:28 PM

Hi Flour girl,

I thought about your question, the thin glaze might drip down as you are applying it. How about maybe, do not make it too thin, but apply it on the cake using a pastry brush, then when done, dust then with a little bit of powdered sugar which would make it look like Christmas tree w/ snow on them. Please show us. smile

Hi Prettycake!

I think that would be great! Should I glaze while the cake is still warm? Do I dust with confectioner’s sugar while the glaze is wet?

I will definitely post pics. 

Thank you cool smile

Posted: 07 December 2013 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 06 December 2013 01:48 PM

““I love the pan you are thinking about. It is always a stunning presentation. I believe Amazon usually has private sellers if you would consider a used pan.”“

FG

You know, I never thought about buying a used pan, but why not. I’d buy one at a flea market or garage sale. Great idea FG. I just bought 3 used cookbooks: 2 of Rose’s and 1 of Jamie Oliver’s. I got 3 for the price of 1. I hope they arrive before the weekend smile

I googled Tartine. Why do you like them? I didn’t get a chance to read too much about them. They are fairly new, right? Organic?

Abbey

Hi Abbey,

There’s really no reason not to buy a pan previously used. Pans can be washed. Books, on the other hand, cannot. So, pans are really more hygienic than books.

For years I would not borrow a book from the library unless it was a new library book. I’m not that way anymore. I borrow any book which interests me now. The other night I was reading a library book and placed it on my bed. I immediately realized I would not have done that at one time. I am definitely getting more relaxed.

Tartine was one of the earliest books I bought. Their Banana Date tea bread is a show-stopper. It has a slice of banana on top which bakes with the cake. Two tablespoons of sugar is sprinkled over the cake and banana. Everyone thought it tasted like banana cream.

In November of this year, The Daily Meal ranked Tartine #1 bakery:

http://www.thedailymeal.com/americas-50-best-bakeries-slideshow?slide=50

Today I baked their pumpkin bread. I will post a pic tomorrow. Everyone is asleep in the house now. I don’t want to wake them by going into the kitchen and taking pics of cake LOL. But, it came out amazing. It has 10g of cinnamon, 2 tsp of nutmeg and 1/4 tsp of cloves in the recipe. I thought that was a lot of spices but it was delicious. The aroma filled the house. 

I did modify the recipe though. The cake is a 9x5 loaf. It called for 3 eggs. Since I am watching my cholesterol, I felt 3 eggs for that size cake is more than I want to eat. So, taking Rose’s advice in TCB, I used 2 whole eggs and substituted 2 egg whites for the third whole egg. The cake is very light, very moist and not a heart attack on a plate. Two tablespoons of sugar created a sweet crust.

The other day I made the pumpkin bundt from RHC. That recipe was meant to be adorned so the cake’s flavor was enhanced by the frostings. On the other hand, the tea cake I baked today had to be more flavorful because it did not benefit from all the other flavors the frostings contributed. So, the cakes are different and there is room in my repertoire for both.

Thank you grin

I’ll post pics in the morning.

Goodnight Abbey!

Posted: 07 December 2013 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2012-01-12
Flour Girl - 07 December 2013 01:33 AM

Hi Flour girl,

Hi Prettycake!

I think that would be great! Should I glaze while the cake is still warm? Do I dust with confectioner’s sugar while the glaze is wet?

Thank you cool smile

Hi FG,
No do not apply glaze while warm nor add powered sugar while wet.  If warm, glaze will thin out and drip, wet will dissolve the powdered sugar ..  color you glaze green.. you can also use Wiltons green candy melts,.

Posted: 07 December 2013 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 07 December 2013 02:04 AM
Flour Girl - 07 December 2013 01:33 AM

Hi Flour girl,

Hi Prettycake!

Thank you cool smile

Hi FG,
No do not apply glaze while warm nor add powered sugar while wet.  If warm, glaze will thin out and drip, wet will dissolve the powdered sugar ..  color you glaze green.. you can also use Wiltons green candy melts,.

Hi prettycake,

It’s too late for me to get coloring. I won’t be able to get to the store tomorrow. I’ll have to keep the colors as they are. But, I will glaze the cake and powder the glaze as you told me to do.  Thank you so much! I think your way is going to turn out prefect. I’ll look for the candy melts next week because I will have another Christmas party to attend right before Christmas Eve.

Thank you!!

Posted: 07 December 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Flour Girl - 07 December 2013 01:58 AM

I’ll post pics in the morning.

These are the pics of Tartine’s Pumpkin Tea Cake I made yesterday.

The top was sprinkled with 2TB sugar and formed a sugar crust as it baked.

Image Attachments
php7ZHJAVAM.jpgphp1HbZtmAM.jpg

Posted: 07 December 2013 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hello Flour Girl,

I just love and appreciate how much I learn from you. 

That cake(crumb)looks perfect and while reading the recipes for those banana and pumpkin breads, I noticed pumpkin seeds were used to sprinkle on the top, along with the sugar. I bought some pumpkin seeds last week, so this recipe is perfect. So Thank You!! smile

About the used pans or books, my first thought was the same as yours. But, like you say, it is fine. I do wipe down the book covers??

I’m slow getting started today, but I’ve turned the oven on and hope to bake something. Using egg whites is a great idea. I ordered an egg white omelet the other day and liked it. Hearts do need care!! smile

I’ll report back with my progress and look forward to seeing more from you.

Have a wonderful day!

Abbey  

Posted: 07 December 2013 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 07 December 2013 12:58 PM

Hello Flour Girl,

I just love and appreciate how much I learn from you. 

That cake(crumb)looks perfect and while reading the recipes for those banana and pumpkin breads, I noticed pumpkin seeds were used to sprinkle on the top, along with the sugar. I bought some pumpkin seeds last week, so this recipe is perfect. So Thank You!! smile

About the used pans or books, my first thought was the same as yours. But, like you say, it is fine. I do wipe down the book covers??

I’m slow getting started today, but I’ve turned the oven on and hope to bake something. Using egg whites is a great idea. I ordered an egg white omelet the other day and liked it. Hearts do need care!! smile

I’ll report back with my progress and look forward to seeing more from you.

Have a wonderful day!

Abbey  

Abbey, that is so sweet of you to say. I am very glad I can help in some small way. But whatever success you have attained is from your enthusiasm and Rose’s perfect recipes/instructions. I’m glad I was able to guide you a little and glad we have become friends.

Did you find Tartine’s pumpkin tea cake recipe on a blog? I love pumpkin seeds and I think it is a great idea. I have got to try it. I don’t believe the original recipe suggests pumpkin seeds. Often blogs will adapt a recipe.  If you make it, please let us know how it turns out for you.

I don’t worry about used books any more. I have gotten over that and am so much more relaxed about those things now. I was trying to convey my belief that there is no reason not to buy a used pan.

I love egg white omelets. When I have hard boiled eggs, I always discard the yolk.

Good luck with your baking. Let us know what you decide upon.

1 of 2