Posted: 07 December 2013 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 07 December 2013 02:04 AM
Flour Girl - 07 December 2013 01:33 AM
prettycake - 06 December 2013 12:28 PM

Hi Flour girl,

I thought about your question, the thin glaze might drip down as you are applying it. How about maybe, do not make it too thin, but apply it on the cake using a pastry brush, then when done, dust then with a little bit of powdered sugar which would make it look like Christmas tree w/ snow on them. Please show us. smile

Hi Prettycake!

I think that would be great! Should I glaze while the cake is still warm? Do I dust with confectioner’s sugar while the glaze is wet?

I will definitely post pics. 

Thank you cool smile

Hi FG,
No do not apply glaze while warm nor add powered sugar while wet.  If warm, glaze will thin out and drip, wet will dissolve the powdered sugar ..  color you glaze green.. you can also use Wiltons green candy melts,.

Prettycake, thank you so very much! You actually saved the day for me.

I was displeased, to put it mildly, with the bundt cake I baked today.  Despite greasing, flouring and then spraying, the crust was far from perfect.  The details were fuzzy and the tips of the trees were missing.

I didn’t know if I was looking at trees or 4 pair of bo0bs! 

So I followed your instructions and glazed the cake after it had cooled. I first dusted it for crumbs then layered the glaze until the imperfections were not evident.  After a while I dusted with confectioner’s sugar. 

What a transformation! It’s far from perfect but I am very pleased with the final result.

Sending big thank-you’s to you!! I really appreciate your help kiss

Image Attachments
phpgNrZA0PM.jpgphpOKfNHrPM.jpgphpJ84dw8PM.jpg

Posted: 08 December 2013 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2011-12-25

That is pretty, Flour Girl. I like it.

The only thing I cooked yesterday was soup. Even the dog seems under the weather but I’m ready to start a new day and bake that cake. I did get it from a blog where they were talking about how much they loved Tartine’s bakery. So they probably just added the papitas because they had them on hand, just like me. I have mucho papitas to use up, so we’ll see what I manage to produce today. smile

And you sweet flour girl are also humble. You’ve have helped me a lot. I learn from everyone on this forum but you are so easy to talk to and you have fun. Number one thing for me is to have fun while living this life. So you take some credit here and realize that you are a GR8 person. smile smile

Abbey

Posted: 08 December 2013 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 08 December 2013 09:35 AM

That is pretty, Flour Girl. I like it.

The only thing I cooked yesterday was soup. Even the dog seems under the weather but I’m ready to start a new day and bake that cake. I did get it from a blog where they were talking about how much they loved Tartine’s bakery. So they probably just added the papitas because they had them on hand, just like me. I have mucho papitas to use up, so we’ll see what I manage to produce today. smile

And you sweet flour girl are also humble. You’ve have helped me a lot. I learn from everyone on this forum but you are so easy to talk to and you have fun. Number one thing for me is to have fun while living this life. So you take some credit here and realize that you are a GR8 person. smile smile

Abbey

Thank you so much, dear Abbey! I am only to happy to help you. I’m so glad you are enjoying Rose’s recipes and are active in our community. I, we, look forward to sharing in your baking journey.

I’m sorry to hear you and your cat were under the weather. I hope today will be a much happier day for you. Soup sounds good for the cold weather you are experiencing.

Stay warm and enjoy your Sunday.

Posted: 08 December 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Two more pics of the Christmas tree cake after it was cut

Image Attachments
phpTMhQX3AM.jpgphpoUHyMlAM.jpg

Posted: 08 December 2013 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl,

I like that pan and the cake looks very festive and beautiful. I really wanted to make that cake tonight since I had the ingredients but I struggled to get these right. It sounds like it would be so delicious.

I got tangled up in the WWW looking for recipes that used pumpkin seed flour and sort of made up my own recipes.

The first one was basically a pumpkin cake with pumpkin seed flour, almond flour, regular flour and then spices, etc. I added too much buttermilk(I had to laugh at myself) and figured it was ruined. I sprinkled sugar on the top and extra seeds. It took forever to bake. I’m still laughing at myself.

Used the rest of the PSF and almond flour in the second one, and measured out enough reg flour to come up with the right amount. Poured a spoonful of maple syrup into melted butter along with the rest of the ingredients. Haven’t tried that one yet. The first one was just fair but healthful.

Indeed an odd bunch of ingredients…kinda like me today. But I used the seeds and that was my driving force today, otherwise, I think I would have stayed out of the kitchen. 

Did you bake anthing today? Hope you had a good day and thanks for the kind words. smile

Image Attachments
punkinut.jpgpunkinuts.jpg

Posted: 09 December 2013 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 08 December 2013 09:28 PM

Hi Flourgirl,

I like that pan and the cake looks very festive and beautiful. I really wanted to make that cake tonight since I had the ingredients but I struggled to get these right. It sounds like it would be so delicious.

I got tangled up in the WWW looking for recipes that used pumpkin seed flour and sort of made up my own recipes.

The first one was basically a pumpkin cake with pumpkin seed flour, almond flour, regular flour and then spices, etc. I added too much buttermilk(I had to laugh at myself) and figured it was ruined. I sprinkled sugar on the top and extra seeds. It took forever to bake. I’m still laughing at myself.

Used the rest of the PSF and almond flour in the second one, and measured out enough reg flour to come up with the right amount. Poured a spoonful of maple syrup into melted butter along with the rest of the ingredients. Haven’t tried that one yet. The first one was just fair but healthful.

Indeed an odd bunch of ingredients…kinda like me today. But I used the seeds and that was my driving force today, otherwise, I think I would have stayed out of the kitchen. 

Did you bake anthing today? Hope you had a good day and thanks for the kind words. smile

Hi Abbey! First let me say your cakes look amazingly tempting.  They are just the kind of cakes I like to eat. Secondly, you are quite inventive! I would never have thought to make pumpkin seed flour.  What do you use to grind the seeds down? How did you think they tasted? 

I have got to try the pumpkin seeds as a topping. Your cake is making me hungry.

I did bake today. I baked the Banana Crunch Cake from King Arthur. Remembering you thought the topping was hard, I added a bit of oil to the topping. For some reason, the topping merged with the cake.  I used store-bought oat bran flour and whole wheat flour. I cut the cake into square and the pieces look big and thick for an 8x8 pan.

I like to use oat flour because oats are very good for lowering high cholesterol. 

I doubt I will be baking tomorrow. I have 3 cakes sitting on my counter and my son decided to cut his intake of sweets. I’ll be sending pieces for my husband’s fellow employees.

I hope you are feeling better today.

Image Attachments
phpkELKPZPM.jpg

Posted: 09 December 2013 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Those look good, flourgirl. I love that BCC. Gosh, maybe the oil made it heavy? I used cherries in the loaf cake and they dropped to the bottom.

I honestly didn’t think these were even worth bringing to work. I grabbed them at the last minute just because “I” wanted them. Then I decided to give it a shot and took them into the investigation room smile  and after being teased to death, first, about how awful they looked and how they wouldn’t eat them, the verdict was good. I was glad because I do hate to waste food and my time. I just went in there to clean up the mess and most of it was eaten. Hehe!! Thanks goodness or I’d be snacking on that for a few days.

I just used the food processor to make the flour. It took many pulses and probably should have had more to give it a more floury texture-these cakes were dense. One person said it was similar to one of those “healthy bars” you buy at the store.

Honestly, I looked and looked for a recipe that used more than just a 1/2 cup and then saw one that used the flour. Bingo!!

I do love oat flour. You can make that yourself with oats in the food processor. 

I do feel better, thank you very much!! smile I think it is time to hibernate cuz I just want to stay home and do nothing!!

Posted: 10 December 2013 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey, Thank you! It turned out delish. The oats on top were more moist and the topping really didn’t merge with the cake. It was very good.

I have to try making my own flours. I have a Vitamix.  I don’t have the grain container but I will give it a try in the container provided. I can’t see why the container would make a difference.

Investigation room? Are you a detective/police officer?

Posted: 10 December 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

You’re a lucky flourgirl to have a Vitamix. I’d love one!! smile Grain container?

I was thinking about you this morning because of the oatmeal topping we used on the cakes and was trying to remember how I made it. Oatmeal isn’t something I use in my toppings, so it wasn’t that. Hmmm. I’ll figure it out sooner or later. But, I’m glad it worked out for you.

The Investigation room is actually a room where we all gather to chat and share food. I called it that just cuz I was being silly. Whenever we bring in food, we taste and test it. Foodie investigations!! I work in the IT dept. smile It would have been much more exciting if I’d been a detective, huh?  Funny stuff!! Maybe someday I’ll change professions and become a crime solver!! Batgirl!!

Oh, I wanted to tell you about Pepperidge Farm’s Oatmeal bread because I think you’ll like it. They actually have two oatmeal breads but one has more of a whole-grain thing going on-I like the one with mostly oatmeal. It has an orangey color on the package. Just in case you are looking for a good oatmeal bread.

Have a nice day, dear girl~

2 of 2