Oven thermometers - the Omega HH-22
Posted: 07 December 2013 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-11-13

I’ve had it with oven thermometers that have an accuracy rating of 25 degrees.  I mean, honestly, 25 degrees?

I have Rose’s new book, Heavenly Cakes.  If you don’t own it, then treat yourself.  ANYWAY, she mentions an expensive oven thermometer - the Omega HH-22.  I went to the website and looked at it.  My birthday is coming up and I’m putting this on the list.  But…. I am totally embarrassed to say - I can’t figure out how it works.  Do you leave the probe in the oven?  The probe doesn’t look long enough for this to be true…

Does anyone have this thermometer and know how it works?  I read the instructions online, but….

Thanks!

Hadster

Posted: 08 December 2013 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

The cord is coiled, so it will stretch.

Seems like overkill to me. A cheap digital meat probe can do as much, but you’ll need some sort of clip to keep the probe from contacting metal in the oven.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 09 December 2013 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I have been very happy with my Thermapen and the company sells this:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html#Specifications

With a .1% accuracy it should be good enough and the kit includes an oven probe with clip and a meat probe.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 10 December 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Hadster—that is the probe attachment and it is not meant to be put in the oven. You need to buy a different thermocouple attachment if you want something to leave in the oven—it looks like a long thin wire and there is nothing “plastic”-y on it that could melt. I bought mine used on ebay for inexpensive.

Posted: 10 December 2013 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

It looks something like this—I don’t have the exact model number in front of me:

http://www.omega.com/pptst/5LSC_5SRTC.html