Orange Chocolate Crown
Posted: 09 December 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I made Orange Chocolate Crown from TCB for Thanksgiving potluck at a friend’s. The cake comprises of 3 components: the ladyfingers, orange bavarian cream, and light whipped ganache. I’ve made the ladyfingers and ganache for other recipes and have made the vanilla version of the bavarian cream as well but it was my first time making it all together for this recipe. The cake turned out really well it was a big hit at the party. Even the ladyfingers scraps that I brought was devoured - with some friends inspecting the ladyfingers for elasticitiy - wondering how on earth a cake can be so bouncy! A couple of people had a second slice, which was amazing to me because I can only eat a piece. One mistake I did for making this cake was I overwhipped the cream for the bavarian cream - it was stiff peak instead of only slightly stiff so it took forever (and almost impossible) to incorporate it into the orange cream. Since it took forever, I think I deflate the whole thing - it would have been much higher in height otherwise. Anyway, what I thought was a disaster turned out good.

Image Attachments
DSC_2678-3.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 December 2013 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Picture of the slice.

Image Attachments
DSC_2681-3.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 09 December 2013 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  920
Joined  2009-05-25

Jenn,  That is a fine looking cake.  I love it when people make cakes that don’t (initially) interest me, and when I see them and hear of the results I become intrigued to try them.  This is one I will have to consider!!

Posted: 09 December 2013 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Sherrie! You should definitely try it. I love orange and chocolate combo. The taste of this one is hhhmmmmm.. The orange bavarian is really heavenly. My friends (especially the ladies) liked it because it feels light and airy. And of course those who love orange and chocolate combo are the ones who ate 2 slices!

Signature 

Posted: 09 December 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Woooooow, that looks so pretty!
I’ve made ladyfingers last week and it was really hard to pipe it neatly because of the “flowy” batter, so kudos to you for accomplishing that!
I loved reading your description and the bounce-checking part, I can totally see that in my head. The ganache looks so wonderful against all the whites-yellows-oranges..

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 09 December 2013 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  687
Joined  2012-01-12

I love it when I see cakes that required a lot of time and work. It makes an impression that the baker who made it not only has great skills, but also a lot of patience and not lazy. Beautiful and tastey cakes is always a very rewarding accomplishment that makes the baker happy as well as the people who enjoyed it. Very nice and elegant.

Posted: 12 December 2013 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4803
Joined  2008-04-16

Beautiful!  You did a great job on piping the ladyfingers, and sounds like it was very well received smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 12 December 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Very nice cake..t

Posted: 14 December 2013 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Those Lady Fingers look perfect..