Cheesecake cracks on the INSIDE!
Posted: 09 December 2013 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  149
Joined  2011-06-02

Hey y’all,
I made Miette’s cheesecake today. It’s a 6-inch cake [1 pound cream cheese, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup cream, some sugar etc] and it was baked for 80 minutes at a water bathed 350. The recipe said to bake for 90 minutes but I was afraid that 1.5 hours for such a small cake is way too much, and it looked set & barely jiggles, as the recipe says, at 80 minutes.
As I cut the cake, I noticed that there’s a visible crack INSIDE! the top was not cracked BTW.
Did this ever happen to anyone? Could it be that I underbaked it?
[It was perfectly sliceable and not overbakedm at least in my mind]
I added a picture of the sliced cake.
[It was a birthday-cheesecake!]

Image Attachments
IMG_4794.jpg
 Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 09 December 2013 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Oh goodness that makes total sense [except for the Comet explosions; I was born about 30 years later so any recollections I have of said explosions are literally supernatural!], because actually I put the cake in the fridge when it was a bit warm [uncovered] and not room-temp cool so maybe that caused the tension!
Also, before I put the cake in the fridge I poured the sour cream topping [according to the recipe it should be spread right before putting it in the fridge], and again, the cake wasn’t completely cool so maybe that had anything to do with it? Maybe because the structure wasn’t completely set yet, so when I poured the sour cream on top it weighed down and the part that wasn’t set “collapsed”? [I have no idea if that even makes sense, scientifically].

I guess I should have another slice before the linguistic police comes!

Edit: Oh, and Thanks!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 09 December 2013 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02
CharlesT - 09 December 2013 04:20 PM

If that is an air pocket on the left, then a firm rap of the pan on the counter might have eliminated it and gotten rid of the stress concentration that led to the crack. I believe that many cheese cake recipes recommend that procedure, do they not?

I have never seen it - but I will do it from now on!
Thanks!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 09 December 2013 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02
Matthew - 09 December 2013 04:24 PM

The cheesecake looks delicious btw smile

Thanks Matthew! It was really good, and the crust really crisp. It is made from Miette’s graham crackers- just ground up and pressed into the pan, without additional butter! I wonder how it will hold up after a night in fridge, though.

Signature 

McBrownie.

‹‹ Creme ivoire      Red Velvet Cake... ››