peppermint meringue - tart aftertaste
Posted: 10 December 2013 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-12-10

Hi,  I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.  I made some peppermint meringues for the first time. They contain egg whites, sugar, salt, peppermint extract and cream of tartar.  They baked to a nice texture and the initial flavor is very nice, but they have a very tart/bitter aftertaste that lingers for quite a while.  Would it be the cream of tartar? Can I reduce the amount I add next time? Or is there a substitute I can use?

I’m quite new to baking sweets other than basic cakes and cookies, so please help smile
Thanks

Posted: 10 December 2013 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-18
sheena.e - 10 December 2013 12:54 AM

Hi,  I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.  I made some peppermint meringues for the first time. They contain egg whites, sugar, salt, peppermint extract and cream of tartar.  They baked to a nice texture and the initial flavor is very nice, but they have a very tart/bitter aftertaste that lingers for quite a while.  Would it be the cream of tartar? Can I reduce the amount I add next time? Or is there a substitute I can use?

I’m quite new to baking sweets other than basic cakes and cookies, so please help smile
Thanks

SHEENA,E:
  Good morning. I am sorry to learn of your baking disappointment. Just to answer your question

IS THERE A SUBST. I CAN USE?

Yes, you can omit the cream of tarter or employ lemon juice. I must say this…. Why are we using salt??? I think you can omit that as well.

Good luck in your baking & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 10 December 2013 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

you might also want to reduce the amount of peppermint extract; if it calls for half a teaspoon, try a quarter teaspoon and see if that helps.  If you are careful to watch the whites as they whip, you can leave out the cream of tartar and/or lemon juice - those ingredients are to help protect against overbeating the whites.  Look for a few YouTube videos on meringues to see what the whites should look like as you are beating them.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 12 December 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

If used correctly none of your ingredients would cause the odd flavor. At some point there must be a quantity error. The recipe? A misread? Even experienced bakers sometimes grab the tablespoon instead of the teaspoon.
I respectfully disagree with Freshkid. A small amount of salt is necessary to make sweets taste good.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”