Red Velvet Cake…
Posted: 10 December 2013 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-12-10

So I’m fairly new to baking, in general, but I’ve had some success with a Red Velvet Cake. Everyone really enjoyed it and I’d like to make another for a work party. However… I was wondering if there would be any negative side effect to leaving out the red coloring. I have nothing against it! I think it’s beautiful, I just would rather have a more neutral color with this particular cake.

Anyone know if the red coloring is essential? I know it wouldn’t technically be a real Red Velvet Cake, but I’m okay with that. smile

Also… what’s the big deal with Red Velvet Cakes? People seem to get really uppity about it. I’ve read so many articles that just completely rip apart the very idea of adding red coloring to a cake.

Posted: 10 December 2013 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

ScyllaBee, it’s a bit of a hot topic…I think it boils down to this:  There are some people who truly have sensitivities and I think food colorings for some people can be problematic.  I don’t think the cake would suffer flavour wise if you remove the coloring, but you may need to add a bit of liquid to compensate.  I suspect the color could be quite bland and the red is definitely some of its appeal.  Some people use beet juice instead of the food color. 

It seems to me if you are eating cake a little food coloring won’t hurt you (the cake ingredients are likely as harmful as the color).  That said, every baker has their own preferences.  I tend to err on the side of using fewer artificial ingredients using colorings mostly for accent and small decorations.  That’s my style and I find it’s still possible to create delicious, beautiful cakes.  Others focus more on the decoration and willingly incorporate necessary ingredients to achieve the appearance they desire.  Neither is better or worse…all comes down to preference.  So…my advice to you…do what you like.  If a person has a sensitivity to color, they will avoid the cake.

Posted: 10 December 2013 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  673
Joined  2012-01-12

So after everyone enjoyed your red velvet, you will change it according to how you like it. I hope you will get the same results if and when u change it to neutral velvet instead of red velvet. As for me, I do not do away with any ingredient for any reason. IMHO, great bakers will have an open mind esp when the recipe calls for it. Also esp when everyone liked it, so why change it ?

Posted: 11 December 2013 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
ScyllaBee - 10 December 2013 02:01 PM

So I’m fairly new to baking, in general, but I’ve had some success with a Red Velvet Cake. Everyone really enjoyed it and I’d like to make another for a work party. However… I was wondering if there would be any negative side effect to leaving out the red coloring. I have nothing against it! I think it’s beautiful, I just would rather have a more neutral color with this particular cake.

Anyone know if the red coloring is essential? I know it wouldn’t technically be a real Red Velvet Cake, but I’m okay with that. smile

Also… what’s the big deal with Red Velvet Cakes? People seem to get really uppity about it. I’ve read so many articles that just completely rip apart the very idea of adding red coloring to a cake.

I don’t like food coloring either. When I made the Red Velvet cake I asked the same question. I was told to sub the same quantity of water for the food coloring. You can get natural food coloring HERE.

Posted: 11 December 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

I am with Sherrie.  And, I particularly agree that much of the appeal is likely due to the color - something nostalgic, in the mind of the beholder, etc. 
Also, as PrettyCake said… why change what received good review?  Me, I would offer both at the same time - see what happens.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 14 December 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  673
Joined  2012-01-12
CRenee - 11 December 2013 04:23 PM

I am with Sherrie.  And, I particularly agree that much of the appeal is likely due to the color - something nostalgic, in the mind of the beholder, etc. 
Also, as PrettyCake said… why change what received good review?  Me, I would offer both at the same time - see what happens.

Thank you..