Sweet Potato in Heritage Pan
Posted: 15 December 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

I think this is my second time baking this Sweet Potato bundt in this pan.  The first, most recently baked, seemed to require too much time in the oven.  The second I had baked before and do not recall that issue.  Next time I will have to carefully plan starting oven temp time and total time.  Otherwise, I will have to limit this cake to the six cup bundt. 

Meanwhile, I think I am basically done with revising the layer cake formula for the bundt pan.  Once with the layer cake, someone commented “best thing I ever put in my mouth”.  This bundt version I was told “best slice of cake ever”!.  I cannot imagine…...tho’ it is delicious…

You may recall that I selfishly hold this recipe really tight.  I have refused everyone who has asked.  However, if I were looking for a sweet potato cake recipe and did not want to trust one of the ones found on the internet, I would take Rose’s Pumpkin Cake recipe and substitute mashed sweet potato.  Some of those I see on the internet are not far off….that is, close but no cigar. 

Image Attachments
swpotin10weblg.jpgsweetpotfirstlgweb.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 15 December 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

Your cake looks lovely, although I can’t imagine how it tastes!  Is it similar to a carrot cake?  I love that and I also love that tin.  I have it too and am always so pleased at the way the cakes turn out when I use it, so pretty.  It always seems a shame to cut into them.

Posted: 15 December 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2012-01-12

That looks very good.

Posted: 15 December 2013 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  167
Joined  2011-12-25

CRenee - you sure did make it easy for me to decide what to bake tonight. The second I saw sweet potatoes, I knew. I also want to thank you ‘very much’ for sharing enough of your special recipe, so I could enjoy it, and I did. I just had a second helping and could easily eat more, but I’ll stop there, so I can share it with my Grandma tomorrow night and the gang at work.

Next time, I’ll use less nutmeg-seems that was the first thing I tasted or smelled when I took a bite. I’d rather taste more of the sweet potato, but it might have been because part of one of the sweet potatoes was rotten and I barely made the 1 1/2 cups. One mistake I made was not mashing up the potato enough. You can see little pieces of it in the pic. I might have over-baked it a little bit too, but it had a nice crunchiness and a perfect crumb. 

I was very pleased with the cake, so thank you, again. Soon, I will get that pan. And, your cake looks beautiful!! smile

Abbey

Image Attachments
sweetpcake.jpgsweetpcake1.jpg

Posted: 16 December 2013 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
jeannette - 15 December 2013 11:13 AM

Your cake looks lovely, although I can’t imagine how it tastes!  Is it similar to a carrot cake?  I love that and I also love that tin.  I have it too and am always so pleased at the way the cakes turn out when I use it, so pretty.  It always seems a shame to cut into them.

Thank you Jeannette, Yes…it is sort of similar to carrot cake in that it is also a spice cake.  It actually tastes like sweet potato pie.  So far, no matter what cake I put in this pan, It comes out cleanly.

Signature 

Posted: 16 December 2013 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
prettycake - 15 December 2013 03:38 PM

That looks very good.

Thank you PrettyCake

Signature 

Posted: 16 December 2013 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
abbey - 15 December 2013 10:38 PM

CRenee - you sure did make it easy for me to decide what to bake tonight. The second I saw sweet potatoes, I knew. I also want to thank you ‘very much’ for sharing enough of your special recipe, so I could enjoy it, and I did. I just had a second helping and could easily eat more, but I’ll stop there, so I can share it with my Grandma tomorrow night and the gang at work.

Next time, I’ll use less nutmeg-seems that was the first thing I tasted or smelled when I took a bite. I’d rather taste more of the sweet potato, but it might have been because part of one of the sweet potatoes was rotten and I barely made the 1 1/2 cups. One mistake I made was not mashing up the potato enough. You can see little pieces of it in the pic. I might have over-baked it a little bit too, but it had a nice crunchiness and a perfect crumb. 

I was very pleased with the cake, so thank you, again. Soon, I will get that pan. And, your cake looks beautiful!! smile

Abbey

Looks good Abbey.  Yes, you do not want to overwhelm with the spice(s).  I typically put the sweet potato through a potato ricer.  However, on the last couple of rounds I have just mashed them well…trying to save labor and clean up.  I do not think I need to use the potato ricer.

Signature 

Posted: 16 December 2013 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thanks CRenee!

I didn’t tell people it was sweet potato cake, so, you know, they just assumed it was pumpkin. It has to be the spices that trigger our brains in to believing it’s pumpkin:).

Around the holidays, I always wish for a potato ricer, because I’ve heard so many people say it makes the best mashed potatoes. I will just mush them up more next time. wink

I forgot to add that I used 1 c. of cake flour and 3/4 c. of all-purpose, this time, instead of the cake flour only. It was perfect(not so light)and more like a bundt cake should be, probably!?

Anyway, thanks again!!

Abbey

Posted: 17 December 2013 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 15 December 2013 09:02 AM

I think this is my second time baking this Sweet Potato bundt in this pan.  The first, most recently baked, seemed to require too much time in the oven.  The second I had baked before and do not recall that issue.  Next time I will have to carefully plan starting oven temp time and total time.  Otherwise, I will have to limit this cake to the six cup bundt. 

Meanwhile, I think I am basically done with revising the layer cake formula for the bundt pan.  Once with the layer cake, someone commented “best thing I ever put in my mouth”.  This bundt version I was told “best slice of cake ever”!.  I cannot imagine…...tho’ it is delicious…

You may recall that I selfishly hold this recipe really tight.  I have refused everyone who has asked.  However, if I were looking for a sweet potato cake recipe and did not want to trust one of the ones found on the internet, I would take Rose’s Pumpkin Cake recipe and substitute mashed sweet potato.  Some of those I see on the internet are not far off….that is, close but no cigar. 

.  Your cake is beautiful! I’ll have to try it. Thank you for sharing.

Posted: 17 December 2013 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 15 December 2013 10:38 PM

Abbey

Your slice is perfection. It looks so perfect, I can almost taste it.

Posted: 17 December 2013 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thank you dear flourgirl. smile

It was very good!!

Posted: 17 December 2013 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

It looks it!!

Posted: 17 December 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

CRenee, which pumpkin cake recipe did you modify? In which of Rose’s books?  Thank you!

Posted: 22 December 2013 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 17 December 2013 12:50 PM

CRenee, which pumpkin cake recipe did you modify? In which of Rose’s books?  Thank you!

I think Abbey modified one of Rose’s pumpkin cakes.  I did not.  I suggested modifying Rose’s pumpkin case recipe because her recipes are reliable and I assume the character of pumpkin and sweet potato are similiar or will behave similarly in cake.  there are numerous sweet potato cake recipes on the internet and some likely good.  I have not found mine on the internet (could be there).... and I guard it with my life. 

Signature 

Posted: 22 December 2013 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 22 December 2013 12:01 AM
Flour Girl - 17 December 2013 12:50 PM

I think Abbey modified one of Rose’s pumpkin cakes.  I did not.  I suggested modifying Rose’s pumpkin case recipe because her recipes are reliable and I assume the character of pumpkin and sweet potato are similiar or will behave similarly in cake.  there are numerous sweet potato cake recipes on the internet and some likely good.  I have not found mine on the internet (could be there).... and I guard it with my life. 

Thanks CRenee. Rose’s recipes are reliable. I think I’ll make the same cake as Abbey. Thanks for the suggestion.